• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brutal question for armoured folks...

honestyrules

Inactive
Reaction score
I got one of those questions that might get me in trouble or in the pond for asking, but I'll try anyway.
I was looking at the Leo2's pics and refering to the Leo1's as well, what is that white cross painted in the back of the tank anyway? I mean what is the purpose of it?

Don't shoot! I just want to know...

Delavan

That is where the phone is.  You can see it on the back of a lot of German AFVs.

MCG said:
That is where the phone is.  You can see it on the back of a lot of German AFVs.

Nice try.

;D

Convoy lights.

TCBF said:
Nice try.

;D
Pfft.  I'm sticking by my assertion that you can find it on the back of a lot of German AFV.  :p

Yes, you can, BUT IT AIN'T THE PHONE.

On the Leo C1, the Infantry/Tank telephone is found to the right of the tool bin as you stand facling the back of the tank.  It is round, and high up.  Use the lever to open the access door.  Pick up the handset and uncurl as much cord as you need.  Put everything back when done, INCLUDING the roll of toilet paper that was wedged in above the handset.

Here is a tank from Oz in a nice paint scheme.  Note the rectangular tool bin, round phone bin and white cross convoy marker.

http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/Leo419.jpg

TCBF said:
Put everything back when done, INCLUDING the roll of toilet paper that was wedged in above the handset.

No toilet paper dispenser? How primitive!

The guys who designed it had walked home from Stalingrad twenty years earlier.  Perspective is everything.

TCBF said:
Yes, you can, BUT IT AIN'T THE PHONE.

On the Leo C1, the Infantry/Tank telephone is found to the right of the tool bin as you stand facling the back of the tank.  It is round, and high up.
Yeah, I knew that.  Brain farting though.  Must have something to do with the time of day.

TCBF said:
Here is a tank from Oz in a nice paint scheme.  and white cross convoy marker.

http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/Leo419.jpg

We also have this on the UNIMOG. Our Landrovers have the back of the rear diff painted white also.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
We also have this on the UNIMOG. Our Landrovers have the back of the rear diff painted white also.

Cheers,

Wes

It is a standard feature on all German equipment and on the equipment of many other European nations.  It has the little light in the middle to illuminate it at night, when necessary.  It is a little safer than following twin red "cats eyes" when fatigued.  Often on those long dark moonless nights, tired drivers will find that they think they are following two vehicles on a long turn and speed up and run into the "one" vehicle on a straight away in front of them.  It is impossible to mistake that white cross as two or more vehicles.

And on the hatch for the tank phone, infanteers love it when you have a nice picture of some dude hanging out in the nude...the raunchier the better!!!

That white cross shines like a diamond in a pig's arse through the 501 sight, too.  ;D

Rowshambow said:
And on the hatch for the tank phone, infanteers love it when you have a nice picture of some dude hanging out in the nude...the raunchier the better!!!

WHAT!  You never laminated you different Torques and Fluid level types to the door!  Sacrilege!

Thanks all for taking the time to answer to this...
Blackout drive light!

And for this:

This is EVIL >:D LOL

We hung two sandbags off the back.  We told the Grunts that if the tank was moving too fast to put all the cord and the handset back into the box, just stuff it into the sandbag and we would sort it out later.  Better system than having them toss the handset on the back deck.

The second sandbag was for them (and us) to throw garbage into.

The proper use of the phone, assuming you can run fast enough to catch up to the tank, or dodge out of the way when it reverses suddenly and for no apparant reason, is to scream into for the tank to A. Slow down  B. To tell us where the hell the enemy is because we were riding hatches down ('cause the Coy Comd though it would be cool) C. Tell the tank to slow down again. At this  point the tank will speed up and leave you with a fully stretched out chordhalf running/half dragging behind the tank. You then have 2 options, a. Dropthe phone and let it drag or  B The preffered method- Throw the phone with all your might at the head of the loader or Commander for being a tool and leaving his Infantry in the dust as he goes bashing onto the objective alone and is usually destroyed by some sneaky enemy with a Viper.

EX HOLDFAST ,reset and do it all again  :)

When talking on the tank telephone, don't get distracted, shove the phone through your webbing, and start showing someone your position on the map. You'll likely leave the conversation quickly, while being dragged down the field. Even though a centurion only did about 15 mph cross country, it was hard to keep up if you couldn't get your feet under you. ;D

In this day and age of technology, why has no one put a wire phone on the back?

edited to add: Nevermind....I just realized that the way to keep track of new officers is to put a leash on them rather than have them
                    with part of the handset sticking out their webbing when they are 2 miles away.....

Back