• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Browning Hi-Power on G&A Top 10 Handguns that Changed History

COBRA-6

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Picked up the Feb 06 issue of Guns & Ammo at the PX last week, opened it up and staring back at me on page 58 is an identical pistol to the one strapped to my leg!

The Browning Hi-Power was chosen as one of the top 10 influential handguns, primarily because it was the "first practical high-capacity military pistol".

"First appearing in 1935, chambered in 9mm Parabellum, the 13 + 1 round... took the world by storm. Initially adopted by Belgium, Lithuania, Romania and Denmark, it was used by both sides during the Second World War and by just about everyone else afterward. "

What's neat is the the example pictured is a Canadian Hi-Power, the serial number looks to be 6T6483, and there's a worn-off maple leaf sticker on the front of the magazine housing.

Cheers

Favoured weapon of the SAS in Northern Ireland as well!

I think the term that may be used in this case is:

Classic.

The only problem is that usually things identified as "classic" aren't issued to modern militiaries...

I'm not looking for a big discussion or new thread here, but the problem with our HPs is that they are worn out. There is nothing wrong with a new HP, it is still a damn fine pistol. The double action argument only applies to someone that has fired thousands of rounds and has become proficient using it. If your really intent on the double action aspect, the HP is available in DA (Double Action), DAO (Double Action Only) and the BDM (Browning Double Mode) which has a lever to switch between single and double action. Don't like 9 MM? Its also avail in .40 S&W and .357 Sig.

Speaking of Sigs, if those are your bag, both the DA / DAO models and the BDM model borrow features from the SIG-Sauer Sig P220 pistols marketed under the name Browning Double Action (BDA) in the 1970s.

The HP hasn't carried the moniker "King of the Nines" for all these years for no reason.

It's not the pistols fault. The blame belongs with the military that let them degenerate to paper weights.

Reading this thread reminded me of one of my junior high teachers; he was an ex AF poilet, and said that the CF's 9mm's are more accurate when thrown. :threat:
I personally believe that the CF should adopt a Sig 10mm (40 S&W), if they want to keep with the classics maybe they should get us some M1911s. ;D

Just my 2 cents

NL_engineer said:
Reading this thread reminded me of one of my junior high teachers; he was an ex AF poilet, and said that the CF's 9mm's are more accurate when thrown. :threat:

Being an ex AF poilet, (that anything like a toi...ah forget it), that probably would have been his only recourse, not knowing how to load or operate it. (Man, Duey, zoomie, Inch and the rest are goinna be mad at me :) ) I've fired lot's of them and always hit what I was aiming at. They won't keyhole, but they'll ventilate a Fig 11 without problem.

I got a reconditioned Browning on my tour in Aghanistan last yr.

From 10m could cover a 26 round group with both hands.

Redone they shoot just fine.

Armymedic said:

+1 , and with new mags right out of the plastic, I haven't had a single stopage yet, even using eastern-European ammo.

Armymedic said:

LOL. The one I had over there rattled like a Senoritas castanets, but at 10 - 25 mtrs they would all be in the body. New mags are definitely a must. (Even if you gotta bring your own.)

NL_engineer said:
I personally believe that the CF should adopt a Sig 10mm (40 S&W), if they want to keep with the classics maybe they should get us some M1911s. ;D

Just my 2 cents

::) and then we would not be able to get supplies off of our allies. What other country uses the 10mm for standard service weapon?

Glock  ;)  cheap and simple and goes bang every time.

I love Sig's and BHP's in good shape -- however once again the CF has more telling small arms issues than a new pistol.

With my HK USP. Tested to the same standards as the related HK Mk23 pistol that was designed for U.S. Special Operations Command. Testing included being frozen to -42 °C and fired, frozen again, and then be heated up to 67 °C and fired, the standard NATO Mil-Spec mud and rain tests, etc. They deliberately lodged a bullet in a USP barrel. Another cartridge was then fired into the obstructing bullet. The second bullet cleared the barrel, resulting in a barely noticeable bulge. The pistol was then fired for accuracy and the resulting group measured less than 4 inches at 25 meters. Now that's punishment.  :eek:

Armymatters said:
With my HK USP. Tested to the same standards as the related HK Mk23 pistol that was designed for U.S. Special Operations Command. Testing included being frozen to -42 °C and fired, frozen again, and then be heated up to 67 °C and fired, the standard NATO Mil-Spec mud and rain tests, etc. They deliberately lodged a bullet in a USP barrel. Another cartridge was then fired into the obstructing bullet. The second bullet cleared the barrel, resulting in a barely noticeable bulge. The pistol was then fired for accuracy and the resulting group measured less than 4 inches at 25 meters. Now that's punishment.  :eek:

Yeah, but can it shoot under water???   :p

+1 though.  I really like the controls on them.  I've HEARD that the LEM configuration is a nice defensive trigger.  Maybe someone who has seen it used or that has used it could chime in. 

NATO standard is the 9mm, so we're stuck with that, even if the FBI uses 10mm...

Kev are you going to the range anytime soon? I want to try your G19!  ;D

The Americans use .45ACP for their special forces... the .45 round is better silenced (it's a lower velocity round), has more stoppage power without the tendancy to overpenetrate, and has excellent accuracy. There are plenty of double stacked pistols that use the .45ACP, for example, the Canadian Para-Ordinance P14-45 (a high capacity clone of the Colt M1911), HK's Mark 23 Mod 0 and the USP Tactical, and GLOCK 21.

Ex-Dragoon said:
The FBI isn't military....

Exactly, 9mm is NATO standard, regardless what some SF units may use.

Besides, the shooter's accuracy is much more important than the calibre of his pistol. It doesn't matter if you're shooting .50AE if you miss the bad guy...

When I'm shooting at a SF level, then I'll start thinking about .45ACP vs. 9mm... until then, 9mm rounds are less expensive, and that means more time on the range, improving marksmanship!

Back