• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Troops Attacked in Afghanistan

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry to say that one soldier was killed and five other wounded in the attack. My condolences and a speedy recovery for those injured. :salute:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4387618.stm

Yes, my condolences as well.

Interesting though, MeS isn't a hot bed of resistance. If it was "enemy fire", I surmise it would likely be drug related, not anticoalition forces.

as many as 4,000 British troops - backed by assault helicopters - will be sent to southern Afghanistan in the coming months...

Hmmm.... things could become somewhat "warm" in the Kandahar area

See attached obituary link

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26090/post-288398.html#msg288398

Armymedic said:
Yes, my condolences as well.

Interesting though, MeS isn't a hot bed of resistance. If it was "enemy fire", I surmise it would likely be drug related, not anticoalition forces.

More details will likely flow from this but it was not a drug-related incident.  While there have been far fewer incidents involving Brit and Dutch forces in Balkh than other forces to the South and East, they are by no means immune from insurgent forces in the North.  Chatting with some Brits nearby me, they think there was an element of set-up to the whole incident.  More to follow in the coming days.

Cheers,
Duey 

There is no doubt that things will "warm up" in theatre over the next little while.
While unrelated, the Iranian Pres' call to arms for the total elimination of the state of Israel will fill up the ranks of Jihaddis that will fill up the ranks of AQ and other groups.

Wonder why it is that we have to wait for the arrival of death & destruction at the hands  of this century's incarnation of Adolph Hitler before we do anything?

When the good lord was giving out brains; why is it that all of our world leaders decided that they'd "catch the last one"....

Grumble

Evidence of a definite warming I'd say.  From BBC in the last 30 minutes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4394412.stm

story below:

Basra car bombing causes carnage 

A car bomb has exploded in the southern Iraqi city of Basra.
There are reports that at least 20 people have been killed and many injured in the attack.

The blast happened at about 2030 local time (1730 GMT), in a commercial area of the British-controlled city containing many shops and restaurants.

Although car bombings are common in central and northern Iraq, the south, predominantly populated by Shias, has been comparatively peaceful.

However, there has been a recent upsurge in attacks in the region.

Rising violence

The area where the car bombing occurred was packed with families out for the evening during the Ramadan festival.

An AFP news agency photographer at the scene said the explosion had torn through a crowd and destroyed at least four cars.

The last such attack in Basra was in September, when 16 people were killed in a car bombing. That was the worst incident of its type in the city since the US-led invasion began in March 2003.

Correspondents say the increase in violence in southern Iraq suggests the insurgents are beginning to gain a foothold in the area.

A recent Pentagon report said that about 26,000 Iraqis had been either killed or injured in attacks by insurgents since January 2004.

Back