• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Even the mascots have to go on course.

Eight of the Army's regimental mascots have been brought together for the first ever military mascot training camp. Two Irish Wolfhounds, a drum horse, a Welsh mountain pony, a Swaledale ram, two cashmere goats and a Shetland pony took part in the event at the Defence Animal Centre in Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvZP2CXzsE

Defence Animal Centre in Melton Mowbray, eh?

Meet Melton Mowbray's most famous product ....... 

foodsofengland%20bostonporkpie.jpg

Incentive to do well on course, while the Catering Corps keeps costs in line. 

Chris Pook said:

That must be where they send the 'washouts' from the program, right? :)

Chris Pook said:

Mmmmmm!  I saw those on “HOW ITS MADE”...they look good!

Good2Golf said:
Mmmmmm!  I saw those on “HOW ITS MADE”...they look good!

A dollop of hot mustard, a couple of pickled onions and a pint of Brown.  Lunch for a king.

Chris Pook said:
A dollop of hot mustard, a couple of pickled onions and a pint of Brown.  Lunch for a king.

Luckily, we usually had them served with beans, brown, tomato sauce so you could soften up the outside glacis plate before consumption....

Available in two sizes at Loblaws in Kingston....the one on Midland Ave.  Mmmmmmm............. :nod:

daftandbarmy said:
Luckily, we usually had them served with beans, brown, tomato sauce so you could soften up the outside glacis plate before consumption....

I checked these out on Wikipedia and apparently the outside dough wasn't originally meant to be eaten but just to preserve the filling.

Modern pork pies are a direct descendant of the raised meat pies of medieval cuisine, which used a dense hot water crust pastry as a simple means of preserving the filling.[2] In France the same recipes gave rise to the modern Pâté en croute. Many medieval meat pie recipes were sweetened, often with fruit, and were meant to be eaten cold: the crust was discarded rather than being eaten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_pie

Having had the odd meat pie, I can understand this concept as well as your use of beans, brown or tomato sauce or anything else to soften it up and give it flavour.  :stirpot:

:cheers:

Actually the Melton Mowbray pie is eaten cold - And it would be a crime to soften the that lovely crisp crust of the coffin.

Now a Scots Meat Pie - of ground lamb - that is best served hot with beans and brown sauce

o.jpg

7870803e293dd46da2ce008a03393fa5.jpg

In the absence of either of the above options - I have been known to choke down a tourtiere.

Chris Pook said:
Actually the Melton Mowbray pie is eaten cold - And it would be a crime to soften the that lovely crisp crust of the coffin.

Now a Scots Meat Pie - of ground lamb - that is best served hot with beans and brown sauce

I'm sure you'd be fun to fly next to on an long intercontinental flight  :-X

FJAG said:
I checked these out on Wikipedia and apparently the outside dough wasn't originally meant to be eaten but just to preserve the filling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_pie

Having had the odd meat pie, I can understand this concept as well as your use of beans, brown or tomato sauce or anything else to soften it up and give it flavour.  :stirpot:

:cheers:

Dentists don't want their patients to see this information :)

Dimsum said:
I'm sure you'd be fun to fly next to on an long intercontinental flight  :-X

Much as I like curries and sashimi, I would take a nice pie and beans over some of the stuff I'm paying for these days.  :cheers:

New physical fitness standards for combat roles

The Army has been demonstrating its new In-Service Physical Employment Standards (PES) for all ground close combat roles which will come into effect from 2019.

Current policy on physical employment standards hadn’t been changed for 20 years and needed updating. These new physical fitness standards are objective, measurable, role-related and gender-free to ensure Army personnel have the physical capability to meet the necessary force preparation and operational requirements.

PES will be incorporated into a new structured suite of Army Role Fitness Tests – a series of tests to assess whether personnel are fit for a specific role. Tests will include casualty extraction from a vehicle, repeated lift and carry and fire and manoeuvre. The standards are based on detailed analysis of roles, with the scientific research being conducted by the University of Chichester.

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2018/09/new-physical-fitness-standards-for-combat-roles/

Great article...it has nothing on the standards.  :waiting:

Infanteer said:
Great article...it has nothing on the standards.  :waiting:

The nice APTC lady can fill you in.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-45606238/the-british-army-has-introduced-new-fitness-tests

25kgs, 8 miles, under 2 hours. And a bunch of other knick knacks....

That's more like it....  :nod:

Blackadder1916 said:
If you're interested on how they developed the standards, you may get an indication through this project log on ResearchGate.  Some of their articles are readily available on the site, others are only available on request to logged in members.

Unfortunately, their 8 mile 'warm up' march isn't up to some other standards in the British Army:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7WQ2LFm75A

daftandbarmy said:
Trooping the Colour: Guardsman first to wear turban

A Coldstream Guards soldier has become the first to wear a turban during the Trooping the Colour parade.

About 1,000 soldiers took part in the ceremony marking the Queen's official birthday.

Guardsman Charanpreet Singh Lall, 22, a Sikh from Leicester, said he hoped it was looked upon as a "change in history".

He said he expected it would encourage those from different religions and backgrounds to join the Army.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-44413296

As much as being the first puts one in the spotlight with much fanfare, the spotlight stays on when the circumstances are less complimentary.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-45637288
First Sikh turban-wearing guardsman fails drugs test

A Coldstream Guardsman who was the first to wear a turban during Trooping the Colour is understood to have tested positive for cocaine.

Charanpreet Singh Lall, 22, from Leicester, registered "high levels" of the Class A drug during a random test at Victoria Barracks, Windsor.

He was one of three soldiers who failed the test, The Sun reported.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said those caught taking drugs could be discharged from the army.

Brigadier Christopher Coles, head of army personnel services group, said: "I can confirm a number of soldiers from the Coldstream Guards are under investigation for alleged drugs misuse.

"Those caught taking drugs can expect to be discharged."

The identities of the other guardsmen have not been revealed.

The MoD told the BBC it could be a "matter of weeks" before any potential action was taken.

In June Gdsm Lall said it was an "honour" to be the first member of the Coldstream Guards to take part in Trooping the Colour parade while wearing a turban.

He told how he hoped it would be looked upon as a "new change in history", adding: "I hope that more people like me, not just Sikhs but from other religions and different backgrounds, that they will be encouraged to join the Army."

Gdsm Lall wore a black turban featuring the ceremonial cap star to match the bearskin hats during the ceremony to mark the Queen's official birthday.

He joined the British Army in January 2016, having moved to the UK from Punjab, India, as a baby.

Between July and October last year, 220 soldiers - including army reservists - tested positive after a compulsory drug test (CDT).

Drugs found in the test were cocaine, ecstasy, cannabis, ketamine, steroids, amphetamine and benzodiazepine.

In January, the MoD said that it did know how many of these 220 personnel were discharged as a result.

"CDT failure may take time to investigate, therefore it has not been possible to provide data on discharge decisions," it said.

Back