• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Highlander dies in Aberta while on live fire exercise.

Cpl.Banks

Inactive
Reaction score
Soldier dies in firing exercise 

Dale Cowie died when his Minimi light machine gun went off
A British soldier has died on a live firing exercise in Canada, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.
Dale Cowie, 19, from Buckie, in Moray, was trying to clear a stoppage in his Minimi light machine gun when it went off and killed him.

The teenager served with the 1st Battalion The Highlanders.

About 100 Highlanders are part of the Scots Dragoons battlegroup on exercise at the British Army training unit at Suffield near Calgary.

His commanding officer and other Highlanders based in Germany lowered the regimental flag to half mast in the soldier's memory.

Thoughts?

Royal Military Police have launched an investigation and an accident investigation team is being sent to Canada.

A MoD spokesman said: "Safety is of paramount importance on exercises. We don't know how long the investigation will take."

My lord, my heart goes out to him and his family/friends... That's just a shame, 19 years old...

I can't even imagine, I'd hate to see someone go like that or have myself go that way. Just went through C9+C6 training with the "Theory of Machinegun Fire" etc... Can't imagine how bad this must have been...

Poor lad. Reminds me of what my Sgt said during our IA+Stoppage training. Always stay behind the gun. Although I suppose we don't know anything yet so I can't conclude to say that, I'm just sorry for the guy and it just reminds me of the training and frightens me abit!

RIP indeed.

R031 Pte Joe said:
it just reminds me of the training and frightens me abit!

Don't be frightened of it.....be respectful of it, and master it.

I was the number two for a .50 Cal during a night shoot in Meaford, when a round went off in the chamber, literally shattering the receiver group and throwing the barrel forward. Startled the h*** out of me, and sent a couple pieces into the kevlar helmet. Made me respect it even more.

My sympathies goes out to the family, and the Highlanders.

I bet this is some iteration of the old " put the butt into the ground and stomp on the cocking handle" drill.

Britney Spears said:
I bet this is some iteration of the old " put the butt into the ground and stomp on the cocking handle" drill.

YUP

The "combat cock" method -- which is dumb and extremly unsafer - the USMC's "butt to the deck" method is more effective and safer.

yeah... i guess this method is "ok" when your using blanks or even dummy rounds. But I would NEVER attempt something like that with live ammo.  Thats just really stupid... you cock it halfway with a round stuck in the chamber, odds are its gonna go off.

Baloo said:
I was the number two for a .50 Cal during a night shoot in Meaford, when a round went off in the chamber, literally shattering the piston and throwing the barrel forward. Startled the h*** out of me, and sent a couple pieces into the kevlar helmet. Made me respect it even more.

Piston? what type of .50 was this?

recceguy said:
Don't be frightened of it.....be respectful of it, and master it.

That's a damn good point, I'll remember that as well... And clean those damn machine guns real good!

With the Minimi (we use both the standard and the para versions), one time here we had a guy try to clear the stoppage by using his boot on the cocking handle method, which would have put him infront of the muzzle, and could have had the same result. He was immediatly sorted out by his CPL and the range staff quicksmart.

In Australia, the sling around the CH is the preferred method of clearing the stoppage if the CH is jammed.

I am not going to speculate on this recent incident as it is very tragic to say the least, and it will all come out in the wash at the end of the investigation.

Wes

Hey Wes

May be some one confoosed .50 M2 & Bren taken out of the cobwebs??  LOL

Either that or the buffer spring with an identity crisis?

Da_man said:
yeah... i guess this method is "ok" when your using blanks or even dummy rounds. But I would NEVER attempt something like that with live ammo.  Thats just really stupid... you cock it halfway with a round stuck in the chamber, odds are its gonna go off.

Blanks of dummy rds? DA, never ever use any unauth methods of clearing a wpn regardless of natures of ammo, no matter what. If in doubt call an NCO to help you out.

Cheers,

Wes

I'f seen the aformentioned stomp method work, blanks though.  The sling didn't work worth a shit.

Yeah but are IA's & Stoppages still drilled into the grey matter like they used to?  Any body on my courses used to hate reciteing & practicing in their sleep.

Cheers

Prior to going on a range of any kind (I think its 24 hours prior) wpn's handling of all wpns is to be done and refreshed.  I've seen a guy get off for discharging a dummy grenage in his hand because he wasn't given the drills prior to the range.

hey sorry guys, i know this is a bit off topic, but how do I start a topic or ask a question - can't figure it out...

CH1 said:
Yeah but are IA's & Stoppages still drilled into the grey matter like they used to?  Any body on my courses used to hate reciteing & practicing in their sleep.

Cheers

Yeah they still drill it into you pretty damn good. They showed us the sling method only, and advised us to NEVER at any point, no matter what kind of ammo, to use the "stomp" method... Told us if we attempted that on the range they'd 1.) Charge us for a safety violation thingy, 2.) Stomp our guts out, 3.) Probably boot you out of the army if a negligent discharge did happen.

They were very clear on that... Someone mentioned that the sling method might not work as good, so they suggested getting buddy Bloggins to help out. Simple, done.

badger4 said:
this is a bit off topic, but how do I start a topic or ask a question

I think you just asked one. Just add the "?" next time.  ;D
I'll answer you via PM as that is alot off topic.

Butt to the deck

Grasp weapon  ;)

With a rifle / carbine grasp forestock and with the other hand grasp the cocking handle
Now drive it down to the ground (doign this kneeling is easiest - and if you have a stoppage you should not be up drawing fire anyway) the momentum will usually give you enough force to extract the round - or break the cocking handle

Similar idea with LMG/GPMG - except they are usually real fucking hot and heavy - and if you fuck it up - rounds can be let go.
so carefully (yet with agression) grasp the cocking handle the other hand graps the weapon on the C9 the forstock the C6 - the bipod if its collapsed - if not get gloves its going to be HOT and graps the recvier body where the gas tube enters it).

I know guys who keep a small length of para cord just to yank on the C9/C6's

Back