• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brit Chef Backs Book of Recipes for Field Rations

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Link to "Ten man Operational Ration Pack (ORP) recipe ideas" (2.1 MB .pdf) - UK MoD feature story

British military looks to jazz up grim rations
JENNIFER QUINN, Associated Press Writer, 30 Oct 08
Article link

The discovery of dehydrated potato flakes and milk powder in a professional kitchen would normally send Gordon Ramsay into a frenzy of expletives.

But the celebrity chef declared Britain's military chefs as the "unsung heroes" in the foreword of a new military guide released Thursday aimed at turning grim military gruel into gourmet meals for the country's troops.

In his usual colorful language, the Michelin-starred chef, who has visited Afghanistan and cooked for the troops, said producing meals in such dangerous environments was "undoubtedly daunting" with cooks lacking the finest and freshest ingredients.

Often operating in hostile zones such as Afghanistan's Helmand province, British military chefs are charged with turning egg substitute and tuna into tasty meals to keep the troops marching and morale high.

The 62-page book is the first time the British military has come up with a handy pocket-size guide written by military cooks for their colleagues to carry and use close to the front lines.

It includes recipes for dishes such as "Pleasant Porridge Delight" and "Fruit and Nut Slab Cake" created from ration packs.

"Guys who are out all day — food becomes the focus of their life," said Royal Navy Lieutenant Commander Neil Horwood, who helped to develop the book. "If a guy comes through the door after eight hours on patrol and can smell a good meal cooking, that's good for morale."

The book is focused on preparing food from Operational Ration Packs — large boxes of canned and vacuum packed food from which individual meals are created. Soldiers can exist on these supplies for weeks at a time.

They are prepared far from main bases but where primitive camp kitchens can be set up. They have packs of flour, baking soda, dried herbs and salt and pepper — but usually no fresh fruit or vegetables, dairy products or bread. If they are lucky the troops get a bread roll.

From these basic ingredients, the book includes recipes for lasagna, burgers and burritos and even nasi goreng, a spicy Indonesian rice dish, using ingredients such as vacuum-packed sausages, dehydrated onions and eggs, canned bacon, rice and beans.

Horwood said that in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, soldiers require about 4,000 calories a day, nearly twice what the average adult man needs.

The recipe book includes dishes that appeal to diverse tastes. Harwood said the book reflected both the changing British palate, and the fact that of the nearly 187,000 serving members of the British military, about six percent are from an ethnic minority group. It includes, for example, Indian naan bread.

It's a far cry from the food Warrant Officer Wally Davis ate when he was serving in the Falklands War during the 1980s.

"It was a lot worse than this — things like tins of pilchards, salmon, corned beef," said Davis, nearly wincing at the memory. "Now, you can make so much more."

The former military chef added: "All of a sudden, from having something that's very much a baby food texture, you can make wraps, you can make beef burgers. You can give food texture. And that's what the customer wants."

The recipe book is just the latest attempt by military authorities around the world to make food more palatable to their troops. Earlier this year, the U.S. military introduced rations in new flavors, including blackened catfish, teriyaki chicken and pumpkin cake.

The Luncheon Meat Fritters must be to die from, err... excuse me, ... for.

Cripes, do you need a fancy book to decide whether you boil or deep fry something? Just flip a coin.

Shec said:
The Luncheon Meat Fritters must be to die from, err... excuse me, ... for.

With as much live ammo as you find in FOBs, you may be right in the second case, too.

I'm kinda drawn to the "Corned Beef Bolognaise Served With Beef Noodles" (funny a chef didn't catch that they're using the French spelling of a classic Italian "Bolognese" sauce).  Anal, yes, but that's why I'm such a food lover....

I was worried that British Army cooks were losing their culinary reputation and venturing into gastronomic excellence.  How could one continue to call Brit soldiers "s**t-eaters" if their palates were now so discerning.  I read the cookbook.  I didn't have to worry any longer;  the unique experience of British military cuisine will still be available (to the few who enjoy it, the many who tolerate it and most, usually in the field, who simply have no other choice).

Here are a couple of extracts from the cookbook, with a few of the (ahem) better menus.

I now have a hankering for bangers and mash with a side of fried bread ;D

It still may be a step up for an army that had offal on its ration scale and considered fried bread a delicacy.

Blackadder, the guy pictured in your first attachment must be a good cook.  You know what they say (who are they and why do we listen to them?  ???):

"Never trust a skinny cook."

Back