• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bridging

E

ender

Is not bridge building an integral part of being a Sapper? Is mobility not one of our primary functions, and bridging a major part of that? Then why the heck are they taking bridging off the 3‘s and 5‘s? Our new sappers are not going to be trained in bridging at all. (in case you doubt this I just got back from CFSME) This is ridiculous. I know at my unit we bridge all the time, and it‘s the same at many other reserve units. Can anyone tell me the rational for this? It just doesn‘t make sense to me.

ender,
are they taking it away from both the reg and res 3‘s & 5‘s? Or if only from the res, I‘m afraid you have your answer.

Bridging is not comming out of the QL3 or QL5. The ACROW Bridge and NSB are comming out of both courses, and were removed from the officer courses this year. MGB and MR/MFB will continue to be taught in these courses. The reason for this is that NSB and ACROW are both rear ech bridges and not a need to know thing for all sappers. These bridges will still be taught on a seperate course that only some engineers will take.

For reserve anyway I had heard that they are getting rid of MGB.

I would understand if they were just getting rid of ACROW, since it‘s such an annoyingly complicated bridge.

There was a lot of missinformation and rumor on this topic floating around RETS this summer. The MGB is staying for the reserves and regular force.

The MR/MFB will also be staying in the system.

What assult bridging capabilties does Canada have?

:cool: Yard Ape

Canada has the AVLB (Armoured Vehicle Lauched Bridge). That is the only assult bridge we have.

I can assure you that the MR/MFB is indeed also an assault bridge. The MGB is going to be replaced by the new MGB Mach system very soon (the LCMM Br Sys is buying old MGb from the US Marines to be converted to MACH).

Hope you are a little more enlightened on this topic

Yes, that is true. MR can be used as an assult bridge, and I should have known better than to omit that little fact.

I‘d be intrested to know a little more about the introduction of the MACH MGB. Aside from the pictures of the trial build conducted in Chilliwack, I have not seen very much of this system.

Can our bridges support US and UK armour or are they built to support our comparatively lighter Leo‘s?

We generally don‘t build anything with an MLC (military load class) of less than 60. (so it should hold a 60 ton tank)

The MLC of a bridge depends on a lot of technical factors, like how long it is, what components you used, is it link re-enforced ect. Every bridge will have a slightly different MLC. But, to my knowlenge, our bridges should definatly support NATO tanks. It would be kind of useless if we could build bridges only for ourselves.

N.A.T.O. has a standard for bridge classification which all member country‘s use.

It‘s to bad we don‘t have Reforger any more as this was when we got to meet and work with our fellow sapper‘s and got O.J.T.‘s with thier kit.
As Germany was a gas :blotto: but you worked hard and learnt a lot.

Back