• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bridge Damage at Nipigon Closes Hwy 17 – NO Travel through Northern Ontario

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Not really Military Affairs but I will delete it later.  Anyone driving or is going to drive through Northern Ontario needs to read this.

http://chromeandsteelradio.com/trucking-news/79-bridge-damage-at-nipigon-closes-hwy-17-no-travel-through-northern-ontario.html

At 3:35 p.m. today, the Nipigon Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police advised that the bridge on Highway 17 has been closed for an indefinite time due to mechanical issues.

UPDATE Road Closure: #Nipigon - Nipigon River Bridge is closed indefinitely in both directions for repairs ^jp
— OPPCommunicationsNWR (@OPP_COMM_NWR) January 10, 2016

So this is why #Nipigon River Bridge is closed, effectively cutting Canada in two. @CBCNews @CTVNews @globalnews pic.twitter.com/QOGO4BaYB2
— 511ONNorthwestern (@511ONNorthwest) January 10, 2016
This is the brand new bridge, and it’s failure effectively cuts Canada in half. There is no travel around Lake Superior/Northern Ontario unless you travel into the United States. The failure of this bridge will cause immediate supply problems for communities along the north shore of Lake Superior who rely on supplies from Thunder Bay. White River and communities to the west are supplied from Thunder Bay.

4:45 p.m. UPDATE – Al Cresswell of CFNO – Marathon has relayed information from the Mayor of Nipigon, Richard Harvey that the community centre in Nipigon will be open for the next 24 hours to offer a warm refuge to motorists who are stranded on the Thunder Bay side of the bridge.

Some of that gas plant money would have been great to pay for better engineers. Thanks Kathleen Wynne.

Judging by the pictures looks like the cables contracted by extreme cold and also sounds like some of the bolts sheared too....

PuckChaser said:
Some of that gas plant money would have been great to pay for better engineers. Thanks Kathleen Wynne.

That would actually be true if people in Southern Ontario actually cared about the Northern part of the province. 

Here's some maps showing where Nipigon is to make it a bit clearer re:  what a bottleneck it really is - also more of the latest here via Google News.

PuckChaser said:
If we're going partisan, I can tell you Team Mike Harris didn't think this stretch of road needed a new bridge or four-laning during his tenure, either.
Humphrey Bogart said:
That would actually be true if people in Southern Ontario actually cared about the Northern part of the province. 
And we even have two cabinet ministers here, too  :(

I feel really bad for the construction crew, now they will have to come back and replace the broken parts of the decking and re run new lines

Actually it appears to be the expansion joint between the bridge proper and the abutment...

jollyjacktar said:
That looks expensive.

Yep and it doesn't look like the bridge will be out of commission for a "couple of days" more like a "couple of months"

Who even knows if it's structurally sound at this point in time?

Luckily they can use the old bridge that they didn't demolish yet...oh, wait...

Good2Golf said:
Luckily they can use the old bridge that they didn't demolish yet...oh, wait...

Don't worry they'll be able to call in the Canadian Army, who I'm certain has a plethora of bridging equipment laying around just waiting to be used  :pop:

:pop: yup I say start rolling the bridge trains from 2, 33 and 32 CER's.... ;D

NFLD Sapper said:
:pop: yup I say start rolling the bridge trains from 2, 33 and 32 CER's.... ;D

We won't be able to build a bridge until summer next year though, we might disturb all the fish  ;D

Also I've noted that there is a species of turtle that lives under the existing span so we will need to build the span somewhere else  ;D

Humphrey Bogart said:
We won't be able to build a bridge until summer next year though, we might disturb all the fish  ;D

Also I've noted that there is a species of turtle that lives under the existing span so we will need to build the span somewhere else  ;D

Depending on how far they have started removal of the old bridge they could over-bridge it with the ACROW...

NFLD Sapper said:
Depending on how far they have started removal of the old bridge they could over-bridge it with the ACROW...

It's completely gone, that's where the other side of the new bridge is going  ;D

Interestingly, this was Ontario's first cable-stayed bridge.  Maybe it will be its last? 

They should have tied it up with Liberal promises, they're elastic enough.

Humphrey Bogart said:
Don't worry they'll be able to call in the Canadian Army, who I'm certain has a plethora of bridging equipment laying around just waiting to be used  :pop:

Did someone say Trouty?

I-Know-Nothing.jpg

;D

What's the maximum length for an ACROW without piers?  I'm wondering if the gap is too wide.

Back