• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bridge Damage at Nipigon Closes Hwy 17 – NO Travel through Northern Ontario

dapaterson said:
What's the maximum length for an ACROW without piers?  I'm wondering if the gap is too wide.

Anyone who's done the east-west posting season move will know that crossing (unless you drove through the US), although the vast majority haven't seen the brand new bridge. I hope Ontario got the extended warranty.

Google suggests that ACROW bridges are regularly used up to 100 meters, and the water gap seems smaller than that, but I am not an engineer. In Pioneer Platoon we built rope bridges, not highway crossings. And I suppose converting the CP Rail bridge over the Nipigon River into something suitable for vehicle traffic is a non-starter. Rail traffic east-west is probably even more important economically than the road traffic is.

I hope something can be jury-rigged together soon, because that section of road is the cornerstone of the region. It's a long drive to Sault Saint Marie.

No idea. Max we can bridge per Reg Force CER is 16 bays or 48.8m (~160ft) IIRC. The P.Res CER's can only do 18.2m (60ft)

Ostrozac said:
Anyone who's done the east-west posting season move will know that crossing (unless you drove through the US), although the vast majority haven't seen the brand new bridge. I hope Ontario got the extended warranty.

Google suggests that ACROW bridges are regularly used up to 100 meters, and the water gap seems smaller than that, but I am not an engineer. In Pioneer Platoon we built rope bridges, not highway crossings. And I suppose converting the CP Rail bridge over the Nipigon River into something suitable for vehicle traffic is a non-starter. Rail traffic east-west is probably even more important economically than the road traffic is.

I hope something can be jury-rigged together soon, because that section of road is the cornerstone of the region. It's a long drive to Sault Saint Marie.

True but the CAF only builds in one configuration and that is a Double-Single (two panels wide by one panel high)

Humphrey Bogart said:
The gap is just under 200ft. 

True but we would need more than 200ft of ACROW to account for the nose during construction and for counter-weight....

nipigon-2-opp.jpg

12512537_10154467117104046_3529042136532351282_n-600x450.jpg

12509794_10153811581270941_7535974105839465756_n-600x600.jpg

12508916_10153811580945941_7050233502532736351_n-600x600.jpg

Pics from: http://chromeandsteelradio.com/trucking-news/79-bridge-damage-at-nipigon-closes-hwy-17-no-travel-through-northern-ontario.html

NFLD Sapper said:
True but we would need more than 200ft of ACROW to account for the nose during construction and for counter-weight....

Of course, I'm not an engineer so I'll defer commentary about actually building an ACROW to the experts ;)

Humphrey Bogart said:
Of course, I'm not an engineer so I'll defer commentary about actually building an ACROW to the experts ;)

:subbies:

Army bridges won't be wanted (though I have no doubt the staff checks are happening).  Civilian ACROW or Maybe bridge get assembled and dropped in place by crane, and they can offer much better load class with more than one lane.  The contracted solution is better than what the CF holds.

Good chance for the railways to step in and provide interim services, at least for trailers in a unit train between QT and Marathon.  Quick cash, quick turnaround.  (Sarcasm) Do you think some engineer took the warmists dire predictions to heart and decided they DIDN"T need to plan for minus 40?

YZT580 said:
(Sarcasm) Do you think some engineer took the warmists dire predictions to heart and decided they DIDN"T need to plan for minus 40?

Sarcasm taken, but it hasn't even been that cold this year. Nipigon hasn't even reached -25 yet this winter. Today the low was only -16.5. I was born within sight of Lake Superior, and it gets WAY colder than that. Last winter it got down to -33 a few times.

NFLD Sapper said:
True but the CAF only builds in one configuration and that is a Double-Single (two panels wide by one panel high)

No such thing as piers any more?  WTF?

Kat Stevens said:
No such thing as piers any more?  WTF?

Seen some in the back of the compound at Swan Lake for the MGB, haven't seen any for the Acrow... in my limited exposure....

Bridge has been open a month besides a bunch of logging roads north of lake Nipigon that my or not be open at this time that bridge is it. A true Trans Canada choke point.

Anyone now wondering if the wrong materials were used in those suspension cables?

It's fun to speculate and maybe we could start a pool, but we really have no friggin' idea

Two bucks on space aliens.

Looking at the photo that shows the side of the span between the pylons and the abutment it appears that the deck has sagged down.

This is probably going to require removal and reconstruction of the span, which will be no easy feat considering that to avoid doing any damage to the pylons (if they haven't been damaged) they need to dismantle the deck from both ends at the same time to ensure the loads are not unbalanced.

Smartest move would be to do an all out push for completing the second span, then dismantle and rebuild the first.

This is going to result in a huge hit for the general contractor and any subs that ultimately are found responsible. And the insurance companies are hurt everyone.

Back