• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brad/Chelsea Manning: Charged w/AFG file leak, Cdn angles, disposition (merged)

Hey, you think pretty like that just happens?

Just to keep the tangent going...... ObedientiaZelum may want to consider a new hair-dresser    ;)

A military judge on Wednesday morning sentenced Army Pfc. Bradley Manning to 35 years in prison for leaking hundreds of thousands of classified documents to the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks.

Manning, 25, was convicted last month of multiple charges, including violations of the Espionage Act for copying and disseminating the documents while serving as an intelligence analyst at a forward operating base in Iraq. He faced up to 90 years in prison.

According to the military, Manning is required to serve one-third of the sentence before he becomes eligible for parole.

(....)

Manning will receive a credit of 1,293 days for the time he has been confined prior to the sentence, including 112 days of credit for abusive treatment he was subjected to in the brig at the Quantico Marine Base ....
Washington Post, 21 Aug 13

cupper said:
I suspect predict that the final outcome will result in a sentence between 20 and 40 years.

I guess I won the pool. ;D

If this was in China, then death penalty for sure?

Simply he is not trustworthy.

Imagine, similar incident happens in Canada, what should be the punishment?

Probably I might be wrong, but Personally I believe the sentence he has been given is not enough!  ::)

s2184 said:
If this was in China, then death penalty for sure?

Simply he is not trustworthy.

Imagine, similar incident happens in Canada, what should be the punishment?

Probably I might be wrong, but Personally I believe the sentence he has been given is not enough!  ::)

You obviously don't watch the news.

George, you are correct. I am not following the story in detail. But, my opinion was purely based on logic. I was trying to say that if he was the CF member, then what should be the outcome?

s2184 said:
George, you are correct. I am not following the story in detail. But, my opinion was purely based on logic. I was trying to say that if he was the CF member, then what should be the outcome?

George was hinting at this.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104137/post-1214692.html#msg1214692

Listening to the radio (NPR and CBC) on the way home this afternoon, Manning's defence team is already asking Obama to grant him a pardon.

s2184 said:

I know you have not been on BMQ, but if you researched before forming your opinion on the limited sources you have used, you would appreciate a more accurate answer to your own question.

Have you read: Chief Military Judge (CMJ) web pages ?

Well now that that's done with I found a couple of articles you might find interesting.

Reproduced under the fair dealing provision of the copyright act from Counterpunch (2 articles)

"35 Years for Exposing Us to the Truth

by BIRGITTA JÓNSDÓTTIR

As of today, Wednesday 21 August 2013, Bradley Manning has served 1,182 days in prison. He should be released with a sentence of time served. Instead, the judge in his court martial at Fort Meade, Maryland has handed down a sentence of 35 years.

Of course, a humane, reasonable sentence of time served was never going to happen. This trial has, since day one, been held in a kangaroo court. That is not angry rhetoric; the reason I am forced to frame it in that way is because President Obama made the following statements on record, before the trial even started:

President Obama: We’re a nation of laws. We don’t individually make our own decisions about how the laws operate … He broke the law.

Logan Price: Well, you can make the law harder to break, but what he did was tell us the truth.

President Obama: Well, what he did was he dumped …

Logan Price: But Nixon tried to prosecute Daniel Ellsberg for the same thing and he is a … [hero]

President Obama: No, it isn’t the same thing … What Ellsberg released wasn’t classified in the same way.

When the president says that the Ellsberg’s material was classified in a different way, he seems to be unaware that there was a higher classification on the documents Ellsberg leaked.

A fair trial, then, has never been part of the picture. Despite being a professor in constitutional law, the president as commander-in-chief of the US military – and Manning has been tried in a court martial – declared Manning’s guilt pre-emptively. Here is what the Pentagon Papers leaker Daniel Ellsberg had to say about this, in an interview with Amy Goodman at DemocracyNow! in 2011:

Well, nearly everything the president has said represents a confusion about the state of the law and his own responsibilities. Everyone is focused, I think, on the fact that his commander-in-chief has virtually given a directed verdict to his subsequent jurors, who will all be his subordinates in deciding the guilt in the trial of Bradley Manning. He’s told them already that their commander, on whom their whole career depends, regards him [Manning] as guilty and that they can disagree with that only at their peril. In career terms, it’s clearly enough grounds for a dismissal of the charges, just as my trial was dismissed eventually for governmental misconduct.    But what people haven’t really focused on, I think, is another problematic aspect of what he said. He not only was identifying Bradley Manning as the source of the crime, but he was assuming, without any question, that a crime has been committed.

This alone should have been cause for the judge in the case to rethink prosecutors’ demand for 60 years in prison. Manning himself has shown throughout the trial both that he is a humanitarian and that he is willing to serve time for his actions. We have to look at his acts in light of his moral compass, not any political agenda. ..."

Link Here 
http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/08/21/35-years-for-exposing-us-to-the-truth/

another I'll be mindful of a comment on the Snowden thread that the comments have to apply to the person and not the effect, so only post what I think apply to Manning

"What Bradley Manning Revealed

by BRADLEY MANNING SUPPORT NETWORK

“In no case shall information be classified… in order to: conceal violations of law, inefficiency, or administrative error; prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency… or prevent or delay the release of information that does not require protection in the interest of the national security.”

—Executive Order 13526, Sec. 1.7. Classification Prohibitions and Limitations

“Is this embarrassing? Yes. Is this awkward? Yes. Consequences for U.S. foreign policy? I think fairly modest.”

—Robert Gates, Unites States Secretary of Defense ..."

Link here
http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/08/21/what-bradley-manning-revealed/

Comment - Good news!!! I plan to exit the thread after this. I imagine the report that Manning wants to live as a woman will be met with mirth in many circles.

I think looking back we may see Manning and Snowden almost as the Pentagon Papers II. I was around for that debacle as well. The release of those I think turned many of those of my parents generation who still supported US Policy in SE Asia aqainst it. Same for many of the population as a whole.  The US government then as now was revealed as a corrupt institution with a broken moral compass. To bad the Brits have drunk the same Kool-Aid.

BTW this little hypothesis is not just me

America has entered one of its periods of historical madness, but this is the worst I can remember: worse than McCarthyism, worse than the Bay of Pigs and in the long term potentially more disastrous than the Vietnam War.
—John le Carré

With all the ongoing trouble one can but pray for people of good will that saner heads will prevail.

So if I am going to exit the thread I may as well do so in a big way - Reccesional - Rudyard Kipling

God of our fathers, known of old—
Lord of our far-flung battle line—
Beneath whose awful hand we hold
Dominion over palm and pine—
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies—
The Captains and the Kings depart—
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
An humble and a contrite heart.

Far-called our navies melt away—
On dune and headland sinks the fire—
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,

If, drunk with sight of power, we loose
Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe—
Such boastings as the Gentiles use,
Or lesser breeds without the Law—

For heathen heart that puts her trust
In reeking tube and iron shard—
All valiant dust that builds on dust,
And guarding calls not Thee to guard.
For frantic boast and foolish word,
Thy Mercy on Thy People, Lord!
Amen.

Something tells me Chelsea Manning may have a "hard" time in jail....... Just saying.

Back