• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

Except that the MO can no longer just simply write you a chit that says "must wear ballet slippers" without having proper medical/disease reasons for it.

It's funny how that doesn't come across as how it's written when the RSM says "no magnums will be worn".

Bzzliteyr said:
I will quote the text word for word to avoid any misinterpretations on my translation:

Il nous a MAINTENANT été interdit par Ottawa (DSCO 2-5-3 Clothing Policy and Procedures) de permettre aux militaires de porter d'autres bottes que celles fournies par le Quartier Maitre, meme si ceci était aux frais du militaire.  (ex. Danners, Magnum).

My read on this is, if the QM gave me the boots then I am good to go.

How does that work for class A reservists who are responsible for the purchase of their own LPO footwear?

I brought up the contradictions in this policy to my CoC the other day - I still wear MkIII's but there are other guys who had boot chits and are now forced into GP boots - the response was basically "There's nothing any of us can do about it, it's too far above our level, so wear the new boots and soldier on." Something is wrong here...

HighlandIslander said:
How does that work for class A reservists who are responsible for the purchase of their own LPO footwear?

I brought up the contradictions in this policy to my CoC the other day - I still wear MkIII's but there are other guys who had boot chits and are now forced into GP boots - the response was basically "There's nothing any of us can do about it, it's too far above our level, so wear the new boots and soldier on." Something is wrong here...

It may boiled down to a matter of timing.  When was 'said' chit issued?  Did the CF come out with an improved boot after the chit was issued?  How long is the chit good for?  I had a chit for Vibram soles (on my two new pair of Mk III's through Base Clothing) and orthotic inserts while in Petawawa.  Now that is no longer on my docs.  Was it "Time sensitive"? 

ArmyVern said:
Hmmm, 2003?? Here eh? Funny, I was the Sgt at Clothing Stores (and that IS the highest ranking soldier in that section in this location) here then and:

1) I've never in my entire life said anything of the sort above to anyone;
2) I'd have sent him down to purchase boots (SIZE is a SUPPLY resp - NOT a Medical resp, thus NO CHIT was required) just like I did for the others; and
3) I'd even have molded his feet to have customs made for his parade boots etc.

Or can I presume that you're actually talking about BMQ/BOTC in Saint Jean circa that time period? Because I've seen them come out of Saint jean like that before, but we've sent them right down to purchase boots that fit once they hit here.

PS: I too may be considered a "dinosaur" by some, I had 20 in last month ... heeee haw.

Vern,

I wasn't implying that evil forces were at work at the Gagetown clothing depot.... his initial issue WAS, as you stated, given at CFLRS.... the size 14 boots were the biggest they had. When he got to Gagetown, he asked his instructors on his course about getting new boots and was told to use what he had. This is what was told to me. Apologize for any implied notion that Gagetown clothing staff was at fault.

OOh, a quick heated discussion with my G4 section on the other side of my cubicle had them in knots!!

According to their interpretation of the paragraph, NO other boots aside from what is CURRENTLY issued by the QM are allowed.  Example given was older obsolete kit such as Garrison dress etc which WAS issued but is no longer in use.  That actually kind of makes sense.

I did not bring my approach of the breathable boots, but I plan to when they get back from their coffee run.

NO other boots aside from what is CURRENTLY issued by the QM are allowed.
So, if QM is unable to provide you with a pair of boots from the system (GP or Mk IIIs) then they will LPO some other sort of boot from outside of the system... and THEY would be issued to the soldier with the Odd feet.

In that way the odd boots would be "currently" issued by QM

HighlandIslander said:

Local purchase, paid by the Crown?  Those boots should then be on the member's clothing docs, and are issued.

Methinks someone needs to issue a soldier-level guide to boots:

(1) If they came from clothing stores, they can be worn.

(2) If clothing stores had them custom made for you, they can be worn.

(3) If clothing stores bought them for you (including an LPO that you did yourself), they can be worn.

(4) If you bought them yourself because you're a ninja-sniper-SOF-Rambo, put on the damn Mk IIIs.

Bzzliteyr said:
OOh, a quick heated discussion with my G4 section on the other side of my cubicle had them in knots!!

According to their interpretation of the paragraph, NO other boots aside from what is CURRENTLY issued by the QM are allowed.  Example given was older obsolete kit such as Garrison dress etc which WAS issued but is no longer in use.  That actually kind of makes sense.

I did not bring my approach of the breathable boots, but I plan to when they get back from their coffee run.

Except that for sizing and medical reasons as given in the CFSM reference below, those boots LPOd by the QM IAW med & sizing policy ARE CONSIDERED ISSUED boots, they just aren't stocked; they are LPOd IAW policy per CFSM and then ISSUED. They are authorized.

I've heard that a good soldier knows which orders to obey and which ones to ignore.

We've chosen to ignore "You can only wear the issue boots" order. As long as the boots are black and of a combat boot nature, we're happy with it.

I just tried reasoning with G4 and got nowhere.  According to them, it's only CURRENT issued boots that can be worn.  Though my Magnums are on me docs, they are suggesting I have to go through the MO to get authority to wear them.

Wait out... my head hurts.

As long as the boots are black and of a combat boot nature

Works for me......
Unfortunately for folks around here... I am not in a position to offer that "largesse" in interpretation.

Bzzliteyr said:
I just tried reasoning with G4 and got nowhere.  According to them, it's only CURRENT issued boots that can be worn.  Though my Magnums are on me docs, they are suggesting I have to go through the MO to get authority to wear them.

Wait out... my head hurts.

Ask your QM staff to print a copy of your IA. Actually, G4 staff should be able to log in to CFSS and review your SCA. Give them your SN (that is your SCA #), tell them to look at their computer screen and review your "OFFICIAL CURRENTLY ISSUED" clothing items on their supply system.

They will eventually come to a stock number which reads:

#### ## AAA ####, boots combat

The "3 letters" in that mean that YOUR CURRENTLY ISSUED CBT BOOTS are LPOd footwear which have been determined to be 1) required, and 2) purchased, and 3) issued to you currently IAW Supply regulations and policy.

Bzzliteyr said:
Why is your G4 apparently defering to an MO for direction on supply policy?

... and, it would seem, misinterpreting that direction too.

I have given up.  I have Magnums I don't wear because I feel the boots, GP are comfortable enough for me.  I will look into my docs as I have very dry/mangled feet of late and I want to see if airing them out will help matters or not.

In any case, whether it is written in black and white or not, I feel that the people here in LFQA have the fear instilled in them to not wear the boots, even if they may be entitled to do so.

Just came back from SQFT last week and there was a whole bunch of us MWO & WOs wearing Magnums, Swats, etc. Not a word was said to anyone.

recceguy said:
Just came back from SQFT last week and there was a whole bunch of us MWO & WOs wearing Magnums, Swats, etc. Not a word was said to anyone.

You think anyone will jack us MWOs or WOs? Not a soul, excpet for a few CWOs.
Its different when you're cpl/pte.....then you are fair game for pretty much anyone.

What were you doing in SQFT?

I don't think I'll be getting jacked up by anyone.  If they aren't professional and keen enough to know the policy, and they are a higher rank than me, well I guess they'll have to suck back some of their own BS.

Not my fault if higher ranking people embarass themselves and I point it out for them.

Back