• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Body-Building Supplements (Creatine etcetera)

HollywoodHitman said:
Creatine is not illegal. Period.

Just stop taking it and continue to live your life.

Do they still take all that stuff away now a days?I know day 1 was bag searches and any supplements knifes etc was taken away.
Best to save your money and just dont bother taking any to basic.

Creatine (methyl guanidine-acetic acid) is made up of three amino acids - Arginine, Glycine and Methionine. Your liver has the ability to combine these three amino acids and make creatine.  Otherwise, you take it as a supplement.  In no way it is an illegal substance.

When you supplement, you add more than your body normally produces, right?  Excess creatine is eventually converted into the waste product creatinine and your body gets ride of it.

I'd say your biggest concern is getting used to the benefits (especially endurance and recovery time) before BMQ then not having those benefits when you start BMQ.  Crappy time to loose some notches on the ol' power curve.  If I were you, I'd stop taking it 3 weeks or so before your BMQ at the latest.  Better to know where you are "naturally" in terms of physcial fitness IMO.

Eye In The Sky said:
Creatine (methyl guanidine-acetic acid) is made up of three amino acids - Arginine, Glycine and Methionine. Your liver has the ability to combine these three amino acids and make creatine.  Otherwise, you take it as a supplement.  In no way it is an illegal substance.

When you supplement, you add more than your body normally produces, right?  Excess creatine is eventually converted into the waste product creatinine and your body gets ride of it.

I'd say your biggest concern is getting used to the benefits (especially endurance and recovery time) before BMQ then not having those benefits when you start BMQ.  Crappy time to loose some notches on the ol' power curve.  If I were you, I'd stop taking it 3 weeks or so before your BMQ at the latest.  Better to know where you are "naturally" in terms of physcial fitness IMO.
Quoted for truth. Unless you're dosing it up to around 20-25+g a day, you're already taking in more just from food anyway :p. Same for glutamine...just eat well and don't waste your money. Take fish oil caps and minerals for joint health, and maybe a gainer for easy calories.

It is clear about using drugs.
3.3 CF Drug Control Program

Notwithstanding the use of drugs for non-medicinal purposes in Canada today and the changing attitudes of some segments of society, the CF policy outlined in QR&O Chapter 20 states that no officer or NCM shall use any drug unless:

a. the member is authorized to use the drug by a qualified medical or dental practitioner for the purposes of medical treatment or dental care;
b. the drug is contained in a non-prescription medication used by the member in accordance with the instructions accompanying the medication; and
c. the member is required to use the drug in the course of military duties.
Military members must exhibit reliability and a broad responsibility to maintain the integrity and reputation of the profession of arms by ensuring that positive Canadian values and Canadian military ethos guide their individual actions regarding drugs.
No questions.

My question is about food supplements like Vitamins,Minerals, Amino Acids, Herbal Extracts (Aloe,etc.)  - for well being.
I know it is prohibited to take it in BM(O)Q.What about life after Basic Training?
Shall I inform CF doctor about consuming food supplements?
What about policy using Food Supplements in Canadian Forces?

Considering that much of this stuff is often sold at Canex, I wouldn't worry about it other than to say why?  Eating a proper balanced diet (which is available in the mess) will provide you with all you need.

I don't see why it would be an issue, but just call and ask. That way you will know for sure

Hey all, I've looked through and couldn't find anything on this particular subject.

I've been weight lifting quite frequently over the last year and I have been taking protein supplements (whey, mass gainer). I also have taken preworkouts which are legal products you take before you workout to give you a extra energy. One of the preworkouts I've been taking 'jack3d' I just found out fails you on a drug test saying you are doing amphetamines - right after reading this I threw it all out seeing as I don't want to ruin a career over this.

I just recently got my CFAT completed. Next is the medical and I'm assuming a drug test. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it will put off the drug test? It is 100% legal protein, but I don't know if it will put something off on the drug test. If it does, would I have a opportunity to explain myself to them? I don't think it would set it off but I am worried.

Any advice?

You should be good to go as long as its has been properly tested and passed by Canadian Food standards.

On the same note you should go to a local GNC store and inquire to them about the contents of the product and ask them that question as well.

Also. depending on what the results are on your blood and urine test, they may ask you for another appointment for further evaluation or push your enrolment time back or they completely dismiss you (very unlikely unless serious enough) if they find something they don't like.

JD

I don't think drug testing is done on enrolment.  That being said, when you do the medical and they ask about medications, include prescription and non-prescription ones (e.g. OTCs, vitamins, energy boosters, etc).

Having just completed the application process (Reg F) and been merit listed, I can confirm (for my application, anyway) that there was no blood/urine draw during the medical.

Having spent a significant portion of the time after the CFAT filling out the "What drugs do you have experience with" sheet (and getting a stern lecture during the interview about treating my body as a pharmacy during my younger days  :blotto:) I was certainly surprised not to have to provide some sort of sample.  Your results may vary.

Best option, tell them what you're taking.  Be honest, it'll pay off in the long run.

Marshall12345 said:
Hey all, I've looked through and couldn't find anything on this particular subject.

I've been weight lifting quite frequently over the last year and I have been taking protein supplements (whey, mass gainer). I also have taken preworkouts which are legal products you take before you workout to give you a extra energy. One of the preworkouts I've been taking 'jack3d' I just found out fails you on a drug test saying you are doing amphetamines - right after reading this I threw it all out seeing as I don't want to ruin a career over this.

I just recently got my CFAT completed. Next is the medical and I'm assuming a drug test. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it will put off the drug test? It is 100% legal protein, but I don't know if it will put something off on the drug test. If it does, would I have a opportunity to explain myself to them? I don't think it would set it off but I am worried.

Any advice?

Whoever told you Jacked has amphetamines in it is a retard. Jacked contains 1,3 dimethylamylamine. This is also known as DMAA or Germanamine. It’s naturally extracted from the geranium plant.
While 1,3 dimethylamylamine is completely legal, it behaves like a very mild amphetamine in your body. Rumors are circling Internet discussion forums that Jacked has caused false positives for amphetamines during drug tests. These statements are nothing but RUMORS.
1,3 Dimethylamylamine doesn’t convert into a amphetamine metabolite, and there are no accidentally-mixed amphetamines whatsoever in Jack3d.
I'm an avid weightlifter myself, and have tried every type of LEGAL supplement imaginable. On you're drug sheet, caffeine would be considered a drug and will have to be listed, however, once you inform them, as I did, why you take it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Romanmaz said:
Whoever told you Jacked has amphetamines in it is a retard. Jacked contains 1,3 dimethylamylamine. This is also known as DMAA or Germanamine. It’s naturally extracted from the geranium plant.
While 1,3 dimethylamylamine is completely legal, it behaves like a very mild amphetamine in your body. Rumors are circling Internet discussion forums that Jacked has caused false positives for amphetamines during drug tests. These statements are nothing but RUMORS.
1,3 Dimethylamylamine doesn’t convert into a amphetamine metabolite, and there are no accidentally-mixed amphetamines whatsoever in Jack3d.
I'm an avid weightlifter myself, and have tried every type of LEGAL supplement imaginable. On you're drug sheet, caffeine would be considered a drug and will have to be listed, however, once you inform them, as I did, why you take it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Yeah when I read it first I thought it was crazy to. I did hear something about jack3d being banned in Canada now for causing high blood pressure? Anyway back on topic heres the link where I read it, he even posted the test results. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119402401

Just to be safe, I am going to switch to creatine, I felt like crap after I took pre workouts anyway.

Marshall12345 said:
Yeah when I read it first I thought it was crazy to. I did hear something about jack3d being banned in Canada now for causing high blood pressure? Anyway back on topic heres the link where I read it, he even posted the test results. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119402401

Just to be safe, I am going to switch to creatine, I felt like crap after I took pre workouts anyway.

That is pretty freaky. However you are right, companies won't ship it. The containers even have a warning that the item cannot be shipped to Canada (my buddy has a container he picked up in the states).

- Mike

Yeah they are sitting in my trash now. Enough of per workout junk. I couldn't even pronounce the ingredients, it's not worth the risk.

Thanks for all the imput

I would try and stay away from supplements/energy boosters anyways.  Understandable if your really into weight training/body building and in garrison I see lots of people using them.  However while at BMQ you will not be permitted to have any sort of supplements with you is my understanding.  Someone correct me if im wrong.  Not sure about on course (3's) but I would assume its the same rule?

Tollis said:
Not sure about on course (3's) but I would assume its the same rule?

QL3 course will be a little more liberal in the rules (not by much), your best bet is to always check with your course staff and read the joining instructions carefully.

Marshall12345 said:
Yeah they are sitting in my trash now. Enough of per workout junk. I couldn't even pronounce the ingredients, it's not worth the risk.

Thanks for all the imput

I personally just stick with high protein food, Whey and the occasional Creatine (or however it is spelt) container and I have not had any issue with gaining weight or having a good workout. jack3d has ingredients that look closer to a Starbucks extra caffeine coffee then something you would take to workout. 

Be safe even if it isn't jack3d! Just because it is legal does not mean it has no repercussion's.

- Mike

canada94 said:
I personally just stick with high protein food, Whey and the occasional Creatine (or however it is spelt) container and I have not had any issue with gaining weight or having a good workout. jack3d has ingredients that look closer to a Starbucks extra caffeine coffee then something you would take to workout. 

Be safe even if it isn't jack3d! Just because it is legal does not mean it has no repercussion's.

- Mike

I agree, I am going to stay away from curtain products.

Thanks everyone!

Back