• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Body-Building Supplements (Creatine etcetera)

evidence

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I've got one question. I'm currently weightlifting and i just started taking creatine and protein supplements, would they have any effect on my medical exam? Would they recruit me?  ???

Your best option would be to call the recruiting centre and ask them. I've no experience with weightlifting or weightlifting by-products so other than that I have no other advice.

Cheers

There shouldn't be a problem on the medical - creatine and protein supps (as long as that's all there really is in the stuff) wouldn't likely cause any ill effects that would be picked up and shouldn't disqualify you for anything.

Cheers

MM

I recently started taking creatine, but I havea  few worries. I am worried that when I go to basic and stop taking it that it will screw me over to to strength loss, and the gaining of fat and the loss of muscle, and help would be great.Thank you.

CEhopeful said:
I recently started taking creatine, but I havea  few worries. I am worried that when I go to basic and stop taking it that it will screw me over to to strength loss, and the gaining of fat and the loss of muscle, and help would be great.Thank you.

If you can't do the minimum standard required for the PT test with out creatine, you are in trouble.

It's just been fairly recently that people have started to use creatine all of the time. Traditionally it was cycled in 6 week cycles. I still do cycles when taking it.

I never notice much of a difference in strength when on or off.

You need to understand how creatine works, and what it actually does. It's purpose is to rush water into your muscles. Depending on who you speak with, this inflates them and makes them look bigger (I never believed that). This is why you have to drink like crazy when you are on creatine to stay hydrated. The benefit is that when the water goes into your muscle, it takes with it the nutrients from your body. This essentially speeds the process of geting nutrients to your muscle. The faster the nutrients get there, the fast the muscle can recover. Recovering faster allows you to workout more often. Rather than doing a full body every 3 days, now maybe you can do one every 2 days, allowing you to cram in an extra session a week.

So, will you lose any of your strength? Not if you take care of yourself. Will you you recover slower? Once it is out of your system, yes. I wouldn't be so worried about it. Just run a couple of cycles before hand so that you can predict how your body will react.

And do your research BEFORE you start taking products, otherwise you're going to get ripped off, and possible screw up your body.

I'm on BMQ right now (8th week) and one of the guys just got written up for using creatine. Especially bad since it was found during the Div Cmdr's inspection by the RSM. I'm not sure if it's a school rule or just our staff, but it was clearly stated at the beginning of my course that NO supplements are allowed.

Cheers

Don't waste your money. When doing your course there will be little time to worry about mixing creatine and even less time to seriously work out. Water retention,diarrhea, and stomach bloating is all it did for me. Dehydration can also become an issue, another reason why it is not recommended for those on course. It is hard enough keeping fluids in your system without taking supplements that take water away from where it should be going.

Hey Everyone,
I really hope I'm not repeating any posts, I did some research and couldnt find any postings on here about taking Creatine suppliments to help build muscle, my question is this, does the CF consider Creatine a banned substance or are they looking for illegal drugs when they do the drug testing?
And yes I will be calling the recuiting centre about this as well
Thanks everyone

During my interview I was using a variety of your typical muscle supplements, protein, creatine, and glutamine. They will ask you about any supplements you have been taking, be honest, and it will be fine. As long as it is legal, you're in the clear. Though, I would advise you not to use it on course, you'll likely already be drinking a lot to keep you hydrated, and creatine would likely exacerbate the problem of keeping your self properly hydrated during course. Though, that is just my two cents.

Hope this helps,

AJB

Uhuh,

Creatine search

medicineman said:
There shouldn't be a problem on the medical - creatine and protein supps (as long as that's all there really is in the stuff) wouldn't likely cause any ill effects that would be picked up and shouldn't disqualify you for anything.

Cheers

MM

Took me more time to type this, than it did to find an answer.

cheers,

dileas

tess

Will there be any problems taking creatine and going for a medical test (urine) during my ROTP screening? i.e. Will it hinder the likelyhood of being selected?

The increased levels of creatine in your urine will cause further investigations by medical staff. As how it will affect your enrollment medical fitness, I do not know.

As stated somewhere before, don't waste your money.

diarrhea, and stomach bloating is all it did for me
I'll second that. I got sick of drinking chalky grape juice (especially during the "loading phase") and having enough time to read the entire paper in the bathroom. Blech. I haven't touched it in years, but I can still taste it and my stomach tightens up just thinking about it. Classic flavour aversion I guess; my system just didn't agree with it even after trying a couple of different brands.

I never notice much of a difference in strength when on or off.
I agree with that statement also. I noticed the most results when I followed a strict diet and ate frequently.

Spend your money at the grocery store on the right foods instead. Good luck.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
The increased levels of creatine in your urine will cause further investigations by medical staff. As how it will affect your enrollment medical fitness, I do not know.

As stated somewhere before, don't waste your money.
I realize you're a medtech, but is excess creatine even looked for at the enrollment medical? The pee strips only test for generic things like blood and protein and other things, but pretty sure not creatine.

I used to mix in creatine with protein mix(and told the medical officer doing my recruitment medical) and had no problems with the medical. As for the creatine helping or not, I had no ill effects from it and felt a little more 'plump' from it, but whether it was a mind over matter kind of thing I'm not sure.

I stopped taking it at the start of December and leave for BMQ on the 5th of January, just incase I had some weird reaction from not taking it.

It's good that you stopped using it, I found that it was only artificial results anyways. Don't worry about any strength loss, any muscle and strength that were gained while using it will still be there just the excess water that has causes your muscles to swell up and, supposedly, heal more quickly will go away so you will look a bit smaller, but won't be any weaker. And as for getting fatter, I didn't get that when I stopped using it, plus you'll be at basic so you're going to get your fair share of exercising. Eventually your body will adapt to the soreness that you get from a good workout and learn to heal better and faster on its own, so you won't be missing the creatine. Good Luck.

My own experience with Creatine:

Hardcore power bodybuilding (drug free, relax) and running about 4 miles twice a week while taking creatine: Drove to the top of Haleakala on Maui (10,080 ft altitude) and was puffing and panting while slowly walking up and down the stairs to the observation hut.

Not taking creatine, still hardcore power bodybuilding, a year or so later, no aerobic training whatsoever: Drove to the top of Haleakala and was running up and down the stairs all over the top region like a gazelle.

Creatine helped me be stronger, do more sets and reps (I noted a next-DAY increase in power when I first started using it) for weight training. For aerobic work, however, it seemed to have the opposite effect. I was taking large doses of it, though, and I weighed around 260-270 lower-than-the-average-person level of fat at the time.

Deadlift was up around 495, squat around 315 at this time.

When I used more moderate doses of creatine, I could jog 10.5 miles at a bodyweight of 270 at sea level.

I have never specifically tried it to increase my aerobic endurance or such. It WAS fun having the steroid users ask me what I was on, however.

I had weird breathing problems around the same time I used creatine, not sure if they were related but I decided it wasn't worth it and just chose to eat better and workout harder. Paid off in the end.

ps said:
I'm on BMQ right now (8th week) and one of the guys just got written up for using creatine. Especially bad since it was found during the Div Cmdr's inspection by the RSM. I'm not sure if it's a school rule or just our staff, but it was clearly stated at the beginning of my course that NO supplements are allowed.
Cheers

No it is not a school rule....
Troops have been put on C&P for having, using & dealing to others.  I know of one person who was RTUd from KAF for same.

Back