• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boatswain position opening?

BIG E

Inactive
Reaction score
I applied to be a Boatswain months back. Does anyone know when more Boatswains will be accepted? Im getting anxious. Ive looked on the forums and I can not find any information. Recruiters said I MIGHT get the call in april..But I really want to find out for sure! Thank you

Surprisingly, many of the hard sea trades have hit there mark this year. Funny enough, the bean counters in Ottawa seem quite content to allow us to operate under manned but curse me for thinking they may allow us to go over our numbers and bring eager beavers such as yourself in.
Yes, I know for some of you who`s job is dependent on the `numbers`, you may take offence-not the intent. I ask any one of you to take a typical week around your work place and Friday afternoon before you leave, have a look at man-hours lost from leave, sickness, coursing, admin time, PT etc and you may be shocked. With our one man-one job mentality and a minimum 12-15% loss of man hours over any given time, we shouldn`t really be turning ANYONE away - IMHO.
Having said all that, my CM just told me to prep for promotion, posting to that place with `no Navy` and become one of `them`. Oh no!
Doesn`t answer your question though but as I told someone else in another thread - I suspect you will get a phone call early on 1 April. In case you didn`t realize that is the start of the government`s fiscal year - AKA the coffers get filled with cash again!!!

BIG E said:
I applied to be a Boatswain months back. Does anyone know when more Boatswains will be accepted? Im getting anxious. Ive looked on the forums and I can not find any information. Recruiters said I MIGHT get the call in april..But I really want to find out for sure! Thank you

If the Recruitment Centre happens to be telling you one thing and they are the official source of information, why are you double checking on an unofficial forum? Look at it this way, if someone posted that 800 boatswain positions were suddenly created, would you go to your friendly neighbourhood CFRC and say that you read on Milnet.Ca  that 800 positions were opening up?

Pat in Halifax said:
Surprisingly, many of the hard sea trades have hit there mark this year. Funny enough, the bean counters in Ottawa seem quite content to allow us to operate under manned
[edited for length]

Remember a few things when discussing numbers:
1) Undermanned in the field does not necessarily mean undermanned period. If you have 3000 sailors waiting training or in the training system, you may not have them to help you, but your trade is not 'technically' undermanned.

2) The training system can only handle so many. You'd be shocked at just how many stories I get in a week of people coming BACK to the military who got out ... they got out because they'd sat in PAT platoon on some training base painting rocks for two years after their BMQ because there were no courses available for them. The Intake for a given year takes this training back-log into consideration.

3) As it's been said in other threads, officially, the military is very near to the numbers the govn't dictated they wanted us to be at ... they may not all be in the 'right' trades, and those numbers may be WAY out to lunch for the amount of stuff the govn't is asking us to do, but those are the numbers. My fear is that the govn't is going to decide that we're actually full again and go back to ceasing Recruiting entirely like in the 90's ...

Pat in Halifax said:
Having said all that, my CM just told me to prep for promotion, posting to that place with `no Navy` and become one of `them`. Oh no!

Does that mean you're coming to Toronto to the CFRC Pat? See ya soon!

The 'other' place with no Navy. Atleast Toronto "had" Haida and gets a 'visitor' each year! Actually, I deal with the current and former DMarPers 'guy' regularly and understand that Ottawa's hands occasionally get tied because of the numbers. With respect to training though (admittedly only Mar Eng here), there hasn't been a QL3 course (especially a franco one) filled quite litterally in decades!
All that said, I am putting a plug into Mark (that recruiting officer who was with VDQ last summer) to come along and 'assist' him when FRE goes GLD this summer so ya, I may see you in Toronto!!!

Ahhh, the infantry of the sea.  :)  Y'know my first thought was to make a bosun joke or something.  Everyone does, so don't take it personally,lol....but I checked out the trade video and I was very impressed!  Looks like a pretty good go.  :cdn:
  As a side note....when I was doing my NETP in Halifax, the bosuns on their ql3 would have a big ole hot-dog boil up every day at 10am.  :nod:
  Good luck and I'm sure you'll be in soon.  The navy needs ya.

Thank you everyone for the replys! I Really hope that I get that call!

Back