• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ personal kit search

M

MasterRaistlin

Hey folks,

Well...2 days until I leave for BMQ. Getting everything together here, but I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I've had quite a few conflicting answers to it so here goes:

On BMQ are the instructors allowed to search your personal kit?

My Sgt said that they'll do a thorough search through everything and take away stuff that you "won't need" for the first few weeks. However, a buddy of mine who just did his BMQ last year said that, by law, he didn't think that they could do that without good reason (like a stereo or a restricted item or something).

So, any stories folks?

When it comes to kit inspections and wether or not your instructors can search your kit, just wait till a C7 mag goes missing then you will really know the answer (just hope you didn't lose it!). So just bring what you need and and inspections shouldn't be a problem.

I posted this story in another topic a day or two ago, so I'll give the abridged version..

Yes, like Limpy says, if something important like a part of a weapon goes missing, they WILL search everyones personal kit.

Also, if you leave your kit unlocked/unsecured, expect it to be torn appart when you return to it.

Once you arrive at your BMQ, they will look through your kit briefly to make sure you don't have any restricted items.  But while you are there, they don't really have any reason to.  You wont really have any real spot to put your personal kit other than the Bag storage; in your locker you only have the items you need for the course, like your clothing for example.  Everytime you have an inspection they will go though it, so if you have anything, they'll find it...  they know all the spots.  Like Roko said, if you leave anything out during the day, or unlocked, it will be torn apart and messed up, and you will be given a directive.  And maybe even when you get back from your day's work, you'll have a scare-crow on your bed, wearing all of your cloths; filled with them too.  It happened to quite a few guys on my course.  pretty funny actually.

Ripping apart a bedspace may seem like good fun, but it's legality can be questionable, and it gets very problematic if illegal contraband is found.

There's a fine line between what constitutes a inspection under normal customs and practices of the service and what may be an act that would be construed as an illegal search if contraband was found. Course staff have to be careful to establish what the normal inspection practices are and then adhere to them. That's one reason why recruits in Basic Training are limited in the personal belongings they have and that all or most of their personal bedspace is open to normal inspections. An unannounced "tearing apart" of a soldier's kit might not have the desired result if the JAG establishes that evidence was gathered as the result of an illegal search that should have been the subject of a warrant issued by the Commanding Officer.

The following are the specific paragraphs from the National Defence Act covering inspections and searches.

National Defence Act
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/N-5/index.html

PART V MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS HAVING GENERAL APPLICATION
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/n-5/85405.html

Inspections

273.1 The Governor in Council may make regulations

(a) authorizing the inspection, in accordance with the custom or practice of the service, of any person or thing in, on or about

(i) any defence establishment, work for defence or materiel, or

(ii) any quarters under the control of the Canadian Forces or the Department; and

(b) respecting the access to, exclusion from and safety and conduct of persons in, on or about any defence establishment, work for defence or materiel, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, regulations

(i) respecting the inspection of persons and property entering, exiting or on any such place or materiel, and

(ii) requiring any person, as a condition of being given access to that place or materiel, to submit, on demand, to a search of the person and the person's personal or movable property while entering or exiting that place or materiel or any restricted area within that place or materiel.

R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 59; 1998, c. 35, s. 84.

Searches

273.2 Except as provided for by regulations made pursuant to section 273.1, the following, namely,

(a) quarters under the control of the Canadian Forces or the Department and occupied for residential purposes by any person subject to the Code of Service Discipline either alone or with that person's dependants, as well as any locker or storage space located in those quarters and exclusively used by that person or those dependants for personal purposes, and

(b) the personal or movable property of any person subject to the Code of Service Discipline located in, on or about any defence establishment, work for defence or materiel,

may be searched only if a warrant for that purpose has been issued or the search is otherwise authorized by law.

R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 59; 1998, c. 35, s. 85.

Warrant by commanding officer

273.3 Subject to sections 273.4 and 273.5, a commanding officer who is satisfied by information on oath that there is in any quarters, locker, storage space or personal or movable property referred to in section 273.2

(a) anything on or in respect of which any offence against this Act has been or is believed on reasonable grounds to have been committed,

(b) anything that there are reasonable grounds to believe will afford evidence with respect to the commission of an offence against this Act, or

(c) anything that there are reasonable grounds to believe is intended to be used for the purpose of committing any offence against the person for which a person may be arrested without warrant,

may issue a warrant authorizing any officer or non-commissioned member named in the warrant, assisted by such other officers and non-commissioned members as are necessary, or a peace officer, to search the quarters, locker, storage space or personal or movable property for any such thing, and to seize and carry it before that commanding officer.

R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 59; 1998, c. 35, s. 86.

Investigating commanding officer

273.4 The commanding officer who carries out or directly supervises the investigation of any matter may issue a warrant pursuant to section 273.3 in relation to that investigation only if that commanding officer believes on reasonable grounds that

(a) the conditions for the issuance of the warrant exist; and

(b) no other commanding officer is readily available to determine whether the warrant should be issued.

R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 59.

Military police

273.5 Section 273.3 does not apply to a commanding officer of a military police unit.

R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 59.

"And maybe even when you get back from your day's work, you'll have a scare-crow on your bed, wearing all of your cloths; filled with them too.   It happened to quite a few guys on my course.   pretty funny actually."

Hahahahaha!   ;D
Oh man that is funny.

I tell yah if I joint, the only personal item I'm brining is MYSELF.
And of course what is mentioned here:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/13460.0
But are you allowed a little pocket knife if it stays in your pocket?

BTW: this site is a fantastic resource!
P.

You're allowed to have knives yes. A small combat knife is good, but no 10" Rambo knives. :D

I wonder if books would be taken away?

You're allowed to have knives yes. A small combat knife is good, but no 10" Rambo knives.
I wonder if books would be taken away?

First of all, I'm reasonably certain there's a Canadian law that governs the length of knives
(i.e. under the Criminal Code of Canada)
When you're a recruit, "uniformity" is being stressed, therefore any individual who goes "too far" vis-a-vis festooning him/herself with gardening utensils or small forestry/harvesting devices will be told to put them away.

As for books ... the short answer is "no" - that's not supposed to happen in a democracy
(unless, of course, the books are illegal ... as per illegal knives, as discussed, above).

Darn I really wanted to bring my big Austrian Harvest Sythe (I'm not kidding I collect these) , but then again I'd prob' be put to work hand mowing the back 40 on the base with it. ;D

I have a small folding knife which is legal, and a legal Cold steel SRK recon 6" single edged fixed blade, black parkerized.
I'd only bring the folding one though.  I also have one of those letherman tools, but I read that you get one like it...is this true? 
Do you get issued a knife or bayonet in your take home kit?

Also I was wonder what the picture frame was for?
And what is the purpose of it in basic training?
And what type of pic would they like in it?

Sorry for the dum questions, and yes I have looked around this site for the answers.
Cheers!
P.

Well, a knife is always nice to have. I personally have a SOG Seal Pup with a 3.75" fixed blade, and it's great. Secondly, about bayonettes, no, you do not get issued one, as they are part of your EIS (extra infantry sh*t :D ) and they are issued when you get your weapon, and you turn it in when you hand you weapon back in. The issued multi-tool (Gerber) is a good thing to have, but they only issue them when you're fully qualified.

About the picture frame... no idea. I didn't have to bring one on mine.

The picture frame is for a picture of your girlfriend or significant other. Apparently some staff think it's cute to make every soldier have one so that all the bunkspaces look alike. If they make you get one and you don't have a girlfriend, find any photo that you like, they don't know what your girlfriend would look like anyway.

If they make you get one and you don't have a girlfriend, find any photo that you like, they don't know what your girlfriend would look like anyway.

PRIVATE BLOGGINS!!! Brooke Burke is NOT your girlfriend!

Mate, to avoid drawing any unnecessary attention to yourself, just take whats on the kit list, plus a few personal items too. I dont think you'll have time to read 'recreationally' for a while.

As for knives, I find the Swiss Army Knife w/2 inch blade, scissors, file/screw driver, tweezer and tooth pick adequite or even a Swiss Army 'card', as it tucks into your wallet.

Of all the knives, and bayonets I have carried, this little knife works the best, valued here in Australia at abou $18-$22.

Best of luck in your training.

Regards,

Wes

Not withstanding the issues raised by Bossi about uniformity and Wes about the Swiss army knife both of which I agree with, here are some things you might consider for the fieldcraft portion of your training.  In your health kit roll include a small metal mirror and a toothbrush cover to keep the crude out and some liquid handsoap and shampoo in small bottles like you get in hotels.  I also use a small 35 mm film canister stocked with wooden matches that are wind and rain proof stored face down  with the striker plate glued inside the lid.  I also take about 4 large dark bungey cords and a small amount of para cord to set my groundsheet houch up faster. Remember anyone can be uncomfortable in the field but you must learn to enjoy the outdoors (outback for Wes).  Cheers
BG

Reference the photo in your locker: if your mom is hot (a "cougar") put a photo of her in there. Most Sgt's will spend more time admiring your mom than looking at all the grunge in your soap dish  :eek:

Al

Do you think I could bring a CD player with a few CDs ? Or it is prohibbed ?

Where might I ask did you did up the length of a blade being legal in the CC of Canada?
I used to carry a machete no one ever arrested me (well for that at least)

Bring the minimun of kit you need to get by, by and large you wont be using your civvies that often.

Kit can be checked for contraband however when it is done there is usually a warning and time to beg forgiveness prior.

The nice little signs on the base explaining what is a defence establishment has been deemed to be fair warning.  We had room searches of guys who were overseas that were allowed...

Actually the criminal code doesnt talk specifically about blade length. It instead talks about prohibited types of knives. It used to have a blade length section however its been gone for sometime. You have to have a legitimate reason for the knife besides "self defense". Unless your a fully qualified knife fighter and have reason to believe you require that knife for defense.

Back