• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ HELL WEEK??

ShediacNB

Inactive
Reaction score
HI..I have posted a few times so far. Everyone is quite helpful and I thank you for that. According to the CF recruiting website. Everyone in reg force does BMQ in St Jean Quebec. Im not 100% sure about that, ..but thats what I read. Anyway..I know of 1 guy who recently left for BMQ..( He didnt finish due to some medical thing) anyway ..he told me that he was doing his first week in Gagetwon for what he called hell week I have used the search option here but didnt com eup with anything helpful..can anyone please fill me in?...thanks

Now a these day, you will have BMQ being conduct all over the country, not only St-jean.

mysteriousmind said:
Now a these day, you will have BMQ being conduct all over the country, not only St-jean.

Yes....but you dont go to one place for "hell week" before moving on to another base for BMQ....Theres no such beats at any rate.  The individual might very well be going to Gagetown for his BMQ but it will be for quite a few weeks and none of the are "hell week".

That's funny, I always though Hell Week was only for the instructors...  It occurs during the first week of BMQ once they realize they have to deal with 50+ ninja/sniper/jtf wannabes for the next couple of weeks  ;D

YOu may think as you wish. Im not confused at all. Im just telling you what I was told by someone else! But thanks for the comment

Thorvald said:
That's funny, I always though Hell Week was only for the instructors...  It occurs during the first week of BMQ once they realize they have to deal with 50+ ninja/sniper/jtf wannabes for the next couple of weeks  ;D

Yeah.....i can say i've experienced that

I graduate the gagetown BMQ that started in feb on may 11th and I don't recall a "hell week"
the first week was shitty because it was boring as hell with nothing but paperwork and getting into the swing of things, the rest has gotten progressively harder, but at a rate where its just a constant challenge.
The only week that might be hell week is the next week for me, in the field for 4 days putting everythign into use that we've learned, section attacks, fire patrols ect. just no sleep.
So far, theres been alot of awesome fun stuff that most people never get to do and I can't beleive I get paid to do it!

I love when people don't make it through basic and decide to spew out bullshit.  You're friend most likely wasn't medically released, he either failed out or quit cause he couldn't hack "hell week"  ::)

My niece is in Wainwright Alberta doing her BMQ and she mentioned getting prepared for 'Hell Week'. I don't have an answer but the term is out there.

govenor_mac said:
My niece is in Wainwright Alberta doing her BMQ and she mentioned getting prepared for 'Hell Week'. I don't have an answer but the term is out there.

What recruits get in their head is one thing....reality is another

From a personal perspective I would interpret Hell week to be the 1st week of any recruit course...
Being the new guy in the system,  everything they will do that 1st week will be studied under a microscope and often found to be "wrong".....  so: yeah, that 1st week is hell BUT, this is not a week where we take the beats to ya.... we just bombard you with orders & instructions like you've never had em before.....

Have fun! 

I'm with the instructors on this one. While i got to just sit back in my chair and read the newspaper (sunshine girl!), by God did the instructors get flustered in that first week...and the weeks following it!
Its all good fun though, i remember on my course week 5 was the week of "The challenge" where you went out bush. That's kind of like a "Hell week. I think a major part of that "Challenge" however, was going into the porta-loo's on a 45degree day and not passing out from the heat.

Nine times out of ten it's the field portion of any course....taken completely out of context and embellished on by other candidates after the fact.

A little sleep deprivation and hard work, for many the first time in their lives, and they whine about it.

There is no "Hell Week" period.

I instructed on the course Hale was refering to this past summer, believe me, it was all self induced stress on the students part.

5 days in the field and they got over 72 hours sleep and they were still being found asleep in their trenches, some sniveling on top of that as well.

Don't worry about the stories you've heard and do your best and you'll pass.

Regards

I was going to add that maybe it is self induced sttress from going into a different world where there is discipline and ranks.  With the odd person yelling at you or at least raising their voice.  It wouldn't be the military without "some" yelling and screaming.  To the "new" person just joining, it would be a "hell week"
My 0.02
BYTD sends

One of the biggest points for newbies to remember in the field is that, if the instructors tell ya to go to ground and rest ...... don't muck around with your game boy, IPod or other gadget... and skip the flapping of the gums... reduce effort, rest.

Amen to that, and it comes with any other field portions of your career (or WUPS for you navy types) sleep when you can where you can, especially for those going on BMQ, leave the damn IPOD, Gameboy or other electronic crap at home that week, you just don't need it. Trust me your instructors will find something for you to do. And a hint, when your sitting in a ditch after boiling your IMP's for lunch waiting for the truck with the hot soup haybox, your webbing/tacvest makes a nice pillow. Best of luck on your course, I may see you there, I'll be going through IAP/BOTP the end of the summer. (my god after 10 years I'm going back so some 24yo Mcpl can hand me a rifle and teach me my right food from my left, It's going to be a blast (no sarcasm btw).

And whatever you do, DON'T fall asleep when you are supposed to be awake.  I learned that the hard way.

Back