• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ changed to 10 weeks ?

Flips13 said:
They take out the Fitness test to get in

What? Are you sure of that?
I am really surprised and won't believe it until I read something official that proves it. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Alea

Alea said:
What? Are you sure of that?
I am really surprised and won't believe it until I read something official that proves it. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Alea

Well correct me if i'm wrong on this but : http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/13064.2125.html

Not one of those latest ppl to post has had to do a PT Test to get in.

Flips13 said:
Well correct me if i'm wrong on this but : http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/13064.2125.html

Not one of those latest ppl to post has had to do a PT Test to get in.

OK!
Someone with experience and knowledge will certainly come to correct me if I am wrong.

Here's what I know about the Physical Test:
If one enrolls in the Reserve - PT done before BMQ and part of the enrollment process
If one enrolls in the Regular - PT done the first week of BMQ in Saint-Jean

As per the link you posted in your reply, please notice the PT Test date for those applying in the Reserve and the fact that there is no date for those who applied for Regular.
Also note that for those who applied for the Reserve and have an interview date but no PT date is because the interview is usually scheduled before (or the same date as the PT) hence the reason why some of them have no PT date... they just haven't done their PT yet.

Alea

P.S.: I highly doubt (again someone with KNOWLEDGE will correct me if I'm wrong) that the PT will be taken off.

Alea

You are correct.  Recruits entering the Regular Force have their PT Test done at Recruit School (St Jean or Borden).  Recruits entering the Reserves have their PT Test done at the CFRC facilities, as Reserve units have no facilities to conduct PT Testing for applicants.  If Flip13 had bothered to read the topics on PT Testing he would have read that info several times over as it has been answered more than once, in several topics.

George Wallace said:
Alea

You are correct.  Recruits entering the Regular Force have their PT Test done at Recruit School (St Jean or Borden).  Recruits entering the Reserves have their PT Test done at the CFRC facilities, as Reserve units have no facilities to conduct PT Testing for applicants.  If Flip13 had bothered to read the topics on PT Testing he would have read that info several times over as it has been answered more than once, in several topics.

Thank you for the confirmation Mr. Wallace  :nod:
I'll keep on working on my push-ups as, again, I highly doubt that the CF will take the PT away may it be for the Reserves or the Regular and Flips13... by stating things like "the CF is taking out the Fitness test to get in" you could lead some members to "scratch their heads" for the wrong reasons!

George is totally right: you should read more or at least come with some proofs of what you're saying.

Alea

Technically, Flips13 wasn't incorrect, perhaps his statement was simply misunderstood?

The PT test for regforce is no longer conducted at the CFRC, as pointed out. So one can be sworn into the forces without completing a single PT test, regardless of their fitness level, leading to failures later at Basic when the first express test is conducted.

Corey said:
The PT test for regforce is no longer conducted at the CFRC

So this must have changed a long time ago. 2 of my military friends joined the CF about 4 years ago and none of them had to go through a PT before getting to Saint-Jean/Borden.
My process has been going on for almost 2 years and I never heard about having to take a PT before I get to Saint-Jean... unless I decide to go Reserve.

So if you are referring to a rule that changes many years ago...
Now the rule is PT for Reserve in a CFRC facility and PT for Regular in Saint-Jean or Borden.
In one way or another, the PT is not taken away at all (even if the rule changed... there is still PT).

Flips13 was exactly stating that the CF is taking the PT out!
I agree my English needs some work but I did read that correctly.
Stating that the CF took the PT out means no PT AT ALL and that is not the case.

Alea

Alea, I agree with your understanding of the post 100%; that's the same way I understood it as well.

In our SEM briefing this month we were also told that for our unit ASU(T), all Officer Cadets must perform the CF Expres prior to going to BMOQ in May even if we were exempt on the last test or did it within a year (most of us completed it in August). They also informed us that we would be doing the CF Expres at BMOQ as well.

Corey said:
Technically, Flips13 wasn't incorrect, perhaps his statement was simply misunderstood?

The PT test for regforce is no longer conducted at the CFRC, as pointed out. So one can be sworn into the forces without completing a single PT test, regardless of their fitness level, leading to failures later at Basic when the first express test is conducted.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, this is what i meant. Before you had to complete the PT test as a part of your application process but they took it out. So now you do it at the school and if you fail it you go to ''warrior platoon'' ? untill your fit enough to do the test.

CDN Aviator said:
ok.......

This started with "heard" and "apparently"............not exactly a hallmark of reliability.

Again, who cares ? Basic training is exactly that, basic. Its primary purpose is indoctrination in how we do things. 10 weeks or 13 is irrelevant. Its been done in as little as 8 weeks in the not-so-distant past. The meat of what makes a CF member able to do his job is done at another stage of training.

It seems at least some people care or are curious.  Why would you be the one who suggests what is relevant in some people's lives?  You make it sound like it is a big deal that they are curious on what was changed or what to expect in the future...  Or if there were even any changes made.

I agree with Aviator.

Does it really matter how long BMQ is? 10 weeks? 12 weeks? 14 weeks? No it doesn't. If your too caught up in 2-4 weeks of training than maybe a career in the CF is not for you.

You may get stuck in operational theater an extra 2-3 months. You may have a TD task extended agaisnt your will by several weeks or months. Your courses may be longer due to unforseen circumstances (Basic Para herc availibility, advance winter warfare unable to redeploy from arctic due to nasty weather, working weekends on a career course to help people get another shot at passing PO checks).

This is my opinion and here is what I have to say. Suck it up butter cup and get on with it. Its only BMQ and before you know it, its nothing but a memory.

Nauticus said:
There is a difference between 10 weeks and 14.

No there is not. The course after mine was 2 weeks shorter. I still know some of these guys and they are no lesser soldiers for it. People who want to join are going to go on course wether its 10 weeks or 20....therefore it makes no damned difference.

MasterInstructor said:
WOW! I did not think it was true! As much as I hated Farnham, I am glad I did it! I think every CF member should experience it! Too bad they took it out...

Someone with more TI and experience than you ( and me) decided that we could afford to go without certain things at that stage of training. Deal with it, its only BMQ.

owa said:
It seems at least some people care or are curious.  Why would you be the one who suggests what is relevant in some people's lives?  You make it sound like it is a big deal that they are curious on what was changed or what to expect in the future...  Or if there were even any changes made.

If they want to join, the lenght of the course is irelevant. They want to join, they will go for however long the CF sees fit. Simple as that. 10 weeks.......14 weeks.....20 weeks...who cares, the objective of the course starys the same, just like it always has.

I realy wanted to let this die but it seems theres too many neurotic worry warts on the interweb.........

Wow, I've been silently watching this thread for the last 2 weeks or so now, and I'm shocked it's still going on. People, it really makes no difference how long your "Introductory" course is. This is the primer before you paint, the underwear before your pants. Basically, this is just step one. For the potential recruits who are haggling over 10 weeks vs. 14 weeks, get used to the waiting and last minute changes.

BMQ is still BMQ. Whether it's a day, 13 weeks or 2 years. Since the good ol' government is paying our way through this process, I'm pretty sure they'll make sure we have what we need.

Again, just my  :2c:
:stop: :brickwall:

CDN Aviator said:
No there is not. The course after mine was 2 weeks shorter. I still know some of these guys and they are no lesser soldiers for it. People who want to join are going to go on course wether its 10 weeks or 20....therefore it makes no damned difference.

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say it "makes no difference", I said "there is a difference".

People do think it matters, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. You may disagree, but your opinion holds no relevance to whether this is a worthwhile topic or not.

Many people will, in fact, be curious whether BMQ has changed to ten weeks, and if so, what is modified so that it may do so.

Makes me wonder how I ever made it through my courses without being able to ask every single burning question I had....

I don't think anyone will argue that there is a difference between 10 weeks and twelve - the base level math that any idiot can do proves it. However, the FACT is that it should NOT make a difference to the recruit. The recruit's job is to go and to learn. Worrying about whether or not they'll be home for May long or whether or not they'll be able to see te 'Nucks try for the Stanley Cup should not be their focus.

Yes, people think it matters, hence this thread, good point. But the larger point of this thread should be for those of us who've been through it to tell them that, no, it does not matter. Just focus on the training and getting yourself ready for BMQ.

If someone can inform them of the change, fine. But my point about it's relevance in the overall picture stands.

Simple.

Just to clarify, I swore in Feb 17 and was informed by two people at the RC that it's 14 weeks for March 7.

islandguy said:
I am currently in week  8 here at CFLRS.  The platoons that just came in last week are all on a 10 week course.  Like others have said they took out the Farnham field exercises.  Also they made some slight changes.  New recruits now don't get rifles until week 5 or 6.  My platoon received our rifles in week 2.  It's a great course here! Good luck to potential recruits!

Hmmm, I wonder if that was my platoon that started on Jan 17th??  If it was, we were definately 14 weeks.  And we got our rifles on week 4.  But trust me...many times I wished I was on the so-called 10 weeks BMQ.  Not that it matters, I left platoon with an injury 2 days shy of getting my 4's.  :-[  However, I can still hope for a shorter course next time.  ;D  (should I decide there is a next time)

89Sharp said:
BMQ is still BMQ. Whether it's a day, 13 weeks or 2 years. Since the good ol' government is paying our way through this process, I'm pretty sure they'll make sure we have what we need.

True, but as a mum with three kids at home (and a reservist to boot) I makes a difference to me.  Just say'n... :-X

tfly said:

True, but as a mum with three kids at home (and a reservist to boot) I makes a difference to me.  Just say'n... :-X

I don't doubt that at all, but I figure it's safe to say that anybody going into a military career should get used to some "unconventional" timings, and last minute changes.

And if I wasn't enjoying too much wine (because I can...now that I'm home) I would have said...."IT" makes a difference....  Oooops...

But 89SHAP....this is true!

Back