• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ changed to 10 weeks ?

FyroniK said:
People that get sent to Afghanistan receive training prior to being deployed...and chances are they were in a combat arms trade if they were being sent there in the first place...
The first half of this statement is true, and in rebuttal to the second half all I can say is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CDN Aviator said:
Revolutionize training.

Folks, the lenght of BMQ has been changing for decades. In the end, people still learn the same things. Mine was 10 weeks back in 1993 for example and the platoon afterwards was 8 weeks........

Not to worry, you will all get the same "full" experience....hats and haircuts included.

Absolutely.  But it might not hurt to ponder why it was changed or see how the changes are implemented.  I think we know the experience changes over time, but for different reasons, and those reasons are (perhaps) worth discussing.

ARMY_101 said:
Absolutely.  But it might not hurt to ponder why it was changed or see how the changes are implemented.  I think we know the experience changes over time, but for different reasons, and those reasons are (perhaps) worth discussing.

ok.......

This started with "heard" and "apparently"............not exactly a hallmark of reliability.

Again, who cares ? Basic training is exactly that, basic. Its primary purpose is indoctrination in how we do things. 10 weeks or 13 is irrelevant. Its been done in as little as 8 weeks in the not-so-distant past. The meat of what makes a CF member able to do his job is done at another stage of training.

CDN Aviator said:
ok.......

This started with "heard" and "apparently"............not exactly a hallmark of reliability.

Again, who cares ? Basic training is exactly that, basic. Its primary purpose is indoctrination in how we do things. 10 weeks or 13 is irrelevant. Its been done in as little as 8 weeks in the not-so-distant past. The meat of what makes a CF member able to do his job is done at another stage of training.

It was a question, but people only come here to go off topic and insult rather than to discuss.

Then be the bigger person and STOP.

Only warning.

There is plenty of perfectly valid discussion and even questioning on this board - within reason. There is also a whole lot of folks who cannot get over themselves and have to have the last word. These people also make accusations about there only being people coming here to go off topic and insult rather than discuss...but anyhoo.

Maybe it does not matter to a SGT how long BMQ is but it matters a lot to a new recruit/applicant, it matters a lot... I was there a year ago...

Edit: Added coma

CDN Aviator said:
ok.......

Who cares? Everybody that will come here to ask how long BMQ is. There is a difference between 10 weeks and 14.

Yes, this thread is based on allegation, but there's also a big difference between providing an answer of "yes" or "no" and providing a source, and not contributing at all to the thread and in fact becoming detrimental to it by saying something as ridiculous and selfish as "who cares".

I think what he means is "does it matter?"  BMQ is BMQ.  Whether you go for ten or thirty weeks, you're on the CF clock.  Sure, one would like to know before hand, but, ultimately, you join and your ass belongs to The Queen.  :cdn:

I'll just add to the whole "wondering what they'll do with 3 less weeks" comment.

My BMOQ was 15 weeks. 8 weeks for Mod 1, 6 weeks for Mod 2, and a grad week.

Mod 1 is the BMQ equivilant (Mod 2 being the leadership portion of BMOQ). 8 weeks is all it took, and I think there was even some extra leadership training in addition to all the BMQ curriculum, like the leadership assessment course (forget the name) in Farnham which took a full day.

How did they fit all 13 weeks into 8? Well, we did first-aid during our indoc period on a Saturday and Sunday, instead of taking a full week to do it. Stuff like that... And yes, we still had adequate time.

Perhaps they should compress the BMQ, with such a surplus of applicants at the recruiting centres, to weed out the ones that can't learn at the quicker pace. But the CDS hasn't called and asked for my opinion, so I should probably stop here.

ballz said:
My BMOQ was 15 weeks. 8 weeks for Mod 1, 6 weeks for Mod 2, and a grad week.

Mod 1 is the BMQ equivilant (Mod 2 being the leadership portion of BMOQ). 8 weeks is all it took, and I think there was even some extra leadership training in addition to all the BMQ curriculum, like the leadership assessment course (forget the name) in Farnham which took a full day.

Of course some of the Mod 2 portion of your course would have also covered PO/EOs taught on the BMQ, so they would have been redundant had they also been included in your BMOQ Mod 1. 

ballz said:
Perhaps they should compress the BMQ, with such a surplus of applicants at the recruiting centres, to weed out the ones that can't learn at the quicker pace. But the CDS hasn't called and asked for my opinion, so I should probably stop here.

;D

It is usually in the first or second week of BMQ where these assessments are made.  That is kinda late to plan on a Crse for the "quicker learners", schedule it, populate it with Staff and Students, etc. and then do the same for the "slow learners".  I am sure the CDS a competent Staff who have figured this out and has no need to ask your or my opinion.  ;D

MasterInstructor said:
Maybe it does not matter to a SGT how long BMQ is but it matters a lot to a new recruit/applicant, it matters a lot... I was there a year ago...

Edit: Added coma

Did it matter to anyone enough to check the CFLRS website?

agc said:
Did it matter to anyone enough to check the CFLRS website?

Nope, I guess not...

According to the CFLRS website / Training Calendar (on the DIN) 13/14 weeks (aprox) for BMQ... No change is stated in the 2011-2012 Training Calendar that I have access to.

Holy crap, I am new here and to be honest, I read quite a few threads where people are absolutely disrespectful in. Kind of ironic really when this is a forum representing our country and I see people on here putting down others, being rude and not giving a crap when I think people should be encouraging and helping one another without being disrespectful. If you have nothing nice to say and think the reply you are about to post is legitimate when really, it's just a smart-ass remark, please don't post it.

Thank you for the opinion. This web site does not represent the Canadian Forces, hence how do you suppose we represent the country?

If you don't like what more expirienced people have to say, see ya later!

derekrobitaille said:
Holy crap, I am new here and to be honest, I read quite a few threads where people are absolutely disrespectful in. Kind of ironic really when this is a forum representing our country and I see people on here putting down others, being rude and not giving a crap when I think people should be encouraging and helping one another without being disrespectful. If you have nothing nice to say and think the reply you are about to post is legitimate when really, it's just a smart-*** remark, please don't post it.

Holy crap!  I am old here and to be honest, I have read quite a few threads where people have been absolutely disrespectful in their posts.  Kind of ironic really that they come to this forum to seek information and expect to be spoon fed as soon as they ask a question that may have been asked only seconds earlier, and most likely dozens of times before.  I think that people should show more initiative and read before they post.  If you have nothing nice to say about the replies you get, perhaps it is the question or the way you asked the question that you posed that is at fault.  Perhaps a little research first on your part may have alleviated the type of response to your post.  If you do get a response that is to the negative, don’t rephrase your question over and over expecting to eventually get a reply that you want to hear.  We do not play “Mom vs Dad” here.

Here's the link for the publically available course lists:
http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/cfc-ecc/dc-cd/index-eng.asp

I am currently in week  8 here at CFLRS.  The platoons that just came in last week are all on a 10 week course.  Like others have said they took out the Farnham field exercises.  Also they made some slight changes.  New recruits now don't get rifles until week 5 or 6.  My platoon received our rifles in week 2.  It's a great course here! Good luck to potential recruits!

WOW! I did not think it was true! As much as I hated Farnham, I am glad I did it! I think every CF member should experience it! Too bad they took it out...

They take out the Fitness test to get in, take Farnham out, why they making it so easy to go through now..

Back