• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMOQ - Reserve ( merged )

chipinator

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a third year university student currently applying to be an artillery officer in the reserves. I had a file submission meeting last week with a recruiter, who told me about the 3 summer commitment I would need to complete the required training (I believe BMOQ?). The recruiter also told me that he hoped I would be able to be processed in time to start this summer, but I completely forgot to ask about how long/what time this summer that would be (a total mistake on my part).

I was wondering if anyone here had any idea how long/when this summer this training might be? The best information I could gather from combing the forums seemed to be here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/68599.0

But that being from 2007, I'm not sure if that's still the best source. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You may hear different answers, the correct one coming from the regiment you wish to join.
I was told 4 weeks the first summer. Next year 2 months and the following year, 3 months (engineers)

Thanks a lot, is there any way of knowing when in the summer that first 4 weeks might be?

I'll be getting in touch with my recruiter this week, but just was wondering.

Thanks, I saw that earlier too but I guess I'm just not 100% sure about the differences in timing between BMQ and BMOQ. I'll be checking with the local recruiter tomorrow.  :-\

If anyone else was wondering, I contacted my recruiter and was told that though there are no set dates yet, a safe bet would be that training will start "end of mid-May" or beginning of June.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Hi guys,

I am going to Gagetown for BMOQ-L. I've heard the terrain is terrible. I hope you can give me some guidance for the gear I will need to buy to prevent injuries and make training easier.

I know it is a vague question, but anything helps.

Trade: Infantry Officer

Thanks,
Leo

I am going to do BMOQ this summer. And I believe you are referring to BMQ. BMQ is the 1st phase of the training, 4 weeks. BMOQ is the phase 2 - 12 weeks. For the trade training (AKA phase 3), I don't know about artillery, but for me, Infantry Officer candidate, I will spend another 12 weeks. You will follow the same training sequence, but you will do Artillery Officer phase 3.

By the way, there are 2 4-week BMQ this summer, mid May to mid June, and mid June to mid July. Exact day I don't remember.

Good luck, BMQ is fun.

Hope it helps.
Leo

Leo said:
I am going to do BMOQ this summer. And I believe you are referring to BMQ. BMQ is the 1st phase of the training, 4 weeks. BMOQ is the phase 2 - 12 weeks. For the trade training (AKA phase 3), I don't know about artillery, but for me, Infantry Officer candidate, I will spend another 12 weeks. You will follow the same training sequence, but you will do Artillery Officer phase 3.

By the way, there are 2 4-week BMQ this summer, mid May to mid June, and mid June to mid July. Exact day I don't remember.

Good luck, BMQ is fun.

Hope it helps.
Leo

BMQ stands for Basic Military Qualification, while BMOQ stands for Basic Military Officer Qualification.  As in, one is for NCM trades and the other for officer candidates.  BMQs can be run locally out of a reserve unit, or combined with others to make up the numbers required (and as such can have a variety of start dates).  Speak with your Unit, and they can confirm dates.  I've seen some officer candidates (in the reserves) get mixed in with NCM candidates on a BMQ (while also completing portions required for the BMOQ qualification either during, or at a later date).

As an Infantry Officer candidate, you complete BMOQ, BMOQ-Land, IODP 1.1 (or Phase 3, or any other assorted name) before becoming qualified in the Primary Reserves.  Reg Force members continue on to complete IODP 1.2 (or Phase 4).

Many of us have survived the dreaded BMOQ-L using issued gear - and you can too!

If you absolutely insist on buying pieces of kit for it, I'd recommend the following:

NEOS overshoes - an overboot sheath to make the swamps and wet areas a little more bearable. (keep in mind, once they fill with water, you still need to drain them).  Get the knee high ones if you can find them.  Or just make good use of the goretex socks you were issued.

Jetboil - Always an easy and effective way to heat a meal/get something warm to drink.  This may or may not be a go with your respective staff however.

Merino Wool base layers - again, only really needed if the weather is dipping below -5.  Your issued poly-pro works just fine as well, though it does tend to stink over time.

I bought around a dozen merino blend socks from Costco (they sell them in packs of 4) - best (and cheapest) socks you can use and they pack down small.  The issued nylon/oversock combo also works, but are a bit bulkier.

Get Fit.  One of the best ways to reduce the likelihood of injury is be physically capable of handling the course.  Not a perfect solution, but it certainly helps.

Just going through my last measures of things before I fly out tomorrow afternoon.
I'm required either to bring or buy an alarm clock.
My question is - Do the Canex alarm clocks have radios built into them?

I'd assume the canex does have alarm clock radios. The canex in gagetown has pretty much everything you would need if you are on course.

Thanks again for the information everyone. I just noticed today that they've updated some information online in regards to timing for different BMOQ courses.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school.page

Is there any chance that the course for L2001E might be for reserve officer candidates? I just noticed it seems to be only 2 months long, a lot shorter than the other options.

I am just waiting on my swearing in for Reserve BMOQ, and my CO sent me an outline of training options.  I am joining the SALH A Squad (Recce).  This is what I have been told:

BMQ is 4 weeks and it's for enlisted and officers.  There was one in Comox this month, and one in Wainwright in June, but he is working on getting me a spot in Edmonton for July.

After this there is  BMOQ 2 week (5 day/week) course that he is going to offer locally, or is trying to get approval to offer locally.

After that comes BMQ Land which is 11 weeks.  I am told there is a Sept-Nov option and  Jan-March option.  Apparently we are too far out to guarantee placement, so I'll have to wait to know for sure.  Those are both in Gagetown, NB.

I am told my trades are Troop Leader 1.1 and 1.2, which can be broken out or taken together.  6 weeks and 8 weeks respectively, with sometimes weekend options offered, at least at 1.1. 

This is all specific to my trade, so YMMV.

I've read many threads lately that all seem to reference different lengths for the BMOQ-L course, I'm just curious as a reservist what have people been experiencing?

I've seen people say it's the same as the reg force counter part (10 weeks) and I've heard others say that it has changed to 12-16 training days... Just wondering what it actually is.

Just finishing up weekend BMOQ right now. I've been told we have BMOQ mod 2 (2 weeks) coming up and then 10 weeks full-time for BMOQ-L...usually from Victoria Day until the beginning-ish of August.

Hope that helps!

chipinator said:
Just finishing up weekend BMOQ right now. I've been told we have BMOQ mod 2 (2 weeks) coming up and then 10 weeks full-time for BMOQ-L...usually from Victoria Day until the beginning-ish of August.

Hope that helps!

This has all been posted before, Corey5150.  If you don't understand it, go to your unit Training or OPS WO and sit down and have them explain it to you.

George Wallace said:
This has all been posted before, Corey5150.  If you don't understand it, go to your unit Training or OPS WO and sit down and have them explain it to you.

Hi George, I know this has been posted before - thats why I am asking for clarification... Chipinator says he'll be going on a 10 week BMOQ-L, but in this thread dated Sept. 2015 they discuss it being shortened and only 12 training. https://army.ca/forums/threads/120398.0

Corey5150 said:
Hi George, I know this has been posted before - thats why I am asking for clarification... Chipinator says he'll be going on a 10 week BMOQ-L, but in this thread dated Sept. 2015 they discuss it being shortened and only 12 training. https://army.ca/forums/threads/120398.0

BMQ(L) is for NCM's and is currently at approx 12 training days or so.

You are asking about BM0Q (L) or CAP that is only for Officers.... two totally different courses.

Back