• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMOQ January 7th

Same here, they told me my flight was booked before I even mentioned driving.  I don't mind, considering the fact you have to leave your car outside for 5 weeks in the winter anyways and I don't want to have to deal with a dead battery in my truck while I'm there.  If I really need it I'll hitch a ride or take a train home on a weekend and see if I can bring it back.

peak_to_prairie said:
Swore in yesterday, it's now OCdt Peak_to_Prairie!

I land in Montreal around 1745...anyone else?

My flight out from YYZ is at 1200 and in Montreal after an hour. As for the vehicle idea, my file manager encouraged me to take the flight as well. It does make sense though, seeing how you can't use it for at least 5 weeks.

For sure, I wouldve taken the plane but I had to decide without knowing where I could leave my car for 3 months so figured id bring it.  May be useful towards the end of the course, if the battery survives the five weeks haha.

Oh well, it would be nice to drive to montreal or ottawa if/when we get a weekend off.

Anyone flying out of Vancouver on 5th? Seems like everyone's coming from the Eastern provinces :(

Flying out of Fredericton on the 5th (at 0600). Sworn in this morning.

Special_K said:
Oh well, it would be nice to drive to montreal or ottawa if/when we get a weekend off.

True. I'd be willing to drive to Kingston or Toronto if we can. (if they allow us to leave). We can rent from enterprise (they'll pick you up) and drop off the vehicle at another enterprise in another city if necessary. Drive back to St. Jean afterwards...

khpark said:
Anyone flying out of Vancouver on 5th? Seems like everyone's coming from the Eastern provinces :(

You may be flying in alone, but we'll come out together.  :)

MMSS said:
Flying out of Fredericton on the 5th (at 0600). Sworn in this morning.

Congrats again! See you soon.

Duy said:
We can rent from enterprise (they'll pick you up)

Just had to chime in on this - my brother used to work customer care for Avis/Budget. *Every* rental company will pick you up, they just prefer not to. Enterprise just built a slogan around something they all do - it's like Coors Light advertising that their beer is cold, that is how Americans like it, you don't see bars in USA selling warm beer? But Coors Light is "ice cold, rocky mountain fresh" so it has to be the best, even though it's got nothing to do with the quality of the beer.

See you on the 5th :)

khpark said:
Just in case if you have absolutely no clue what to expect when you get to CFLRS, here's a series of video that'll help out what will come to you :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF71317B643373FD3

I've watched through both seasons of Basic Up! several times. There is a six-part documentary put out a couple years ago called Warships that was incredibly informative regarding naval operations as well, I found several episodes on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHM6XLkREI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAy5azvG2A0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qLDcEaexM

I found this to be very helpful as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

For the MARS officers starting basic in January, I have some interesting info for you. Right now I'm posted to NOTC Venture at CFB Esquimalt, so this is coming right from the horses mouth :)

They have completely restructured the MARS program. NETP-O is now called MARS 2 (which is what it used be called). And MARS 3 and 4 have supposedly changed for the best. I will be in the first round of the new program. If you're interested in being kept up to date on the new program, send me a PM and I'll keep you informed.

half-pint said:
For the MARS officers starting basic in January, I have some interesting info for you. Right now I'm posted to NOTC Venture at CFB Esquimalt, so this is coming right from the horses mouth :)

They have completely restructured the MARS program. NETP-O is now called MARS 2 (which is what it used be called). And MARS 3 and 4 have supposedly changed for the best. I will be in the first round of the new program. If you're interested in being kept up to date on the new program, send me a PM and I'll keep you informed.

I would like to be kept up on any updates you may have.

Hey, for all the DEO officers, does anybody know what a certified copy of graduation certificate is?  It says in the information booklet we need to bring it as proof.  Right now I have a copy of my official final transcript which shows my degree was completed but I am not sure if that would count as the same thing.  What is everyone else bringing?

I emailed mt recruiting center about that.  They said it's fine just bringing your official transcript, which is what I'm bringing.

I asked about that earlier and this is what I got:
You can get a certified copy by bringing your degree to a lawyer or notary, they'll copy it and stamp and sign it to certify it.. The price I got was anywhere between 35 and 50 dollars.

I also asked the leading seaman that explained stuff to us during the swearing in ceremony, don't know if you remember the page she went over with us line by line with all of your details, at the bottom there's a line stating your education level completed. If it says bachelors degree (in whatever field you studied) then you're ok, she said don't worry about bringing anything with you.

Having said that... I would still bring something, never know.

Back