• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Blind leading the blind (now with limited guidance)

Cpl.Banks

Inactive
Reaction score
How big is the Magasine in the new MGS? Are we talking less than thirty rounds?
UBIQUE!!!!!!!!

I've read that it's anywhere from 13 to as many as 25. less than 30 for sure.

The MGS has a 18 round magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT?! thats pretty much useless, it becomes useless without its gun! Oh well at least we are keep 3 sqd's of Leo's...With our quote unquote big budget boost why don't we get some new tanks? maybe a M1 here or a few challengers there or even get more Leo2's from germany and get the newest turret? my thoughts....
UBIQUE!!!!!!!!

Thsi definatly limits its use, if its 13 well then might as well throw rocks at them after, especially if its supposed to acompany inf coy's it should have a secondary weapon, even a 50cal.mg would do but something that can give a little support to the Pbi...
UBIQUE!!!!!!!!!

the powers-that-be have decided that canada no longer needs to field a tank force... so that's why they didn't buy more of them  :'(

i'm wondering about co-axials, by the way. after the positive experiences the Israeli tank force had with the Centurion's .50 cal ranging machine gun, why didn't this feature carry over into future designs? reliance on technlogy is one reason, but having an RMG as a backup device makes sense. any answers?

Ranging MGs had their uses but a laser range finder linked to a computer is simply the way to go.  The LRF on the C2 (and C1 for that matter) was very reliable in my experience.  Failing that you can estimate the range and apply the corrections.  There are several degraded modes of fire available if FCS components are down and they are designed to get you out of the fight that you are in.  If you are in close and cannot disengage then just go to "Battle engagements" and trust the drill. 

Cheers,

2B

In this day and age, I'm not sure that I would want to be firing anything less than the main armament at something that could shoot back and kill me. A ranging burst with a MG would give away your position, and if the other guy got lucky, he would hit you well before you went through all the procedures inherent in calculating how far the MG rds were hitting, if at all.

There are other methods available that are passive (as opposed to active, which the laser is.... we have laser warning detectors, and I'm sure any worthy Banana Republic army does too. When I taught gunnery, I told guys to think about aiming away from a target, but at the same approx range before lasing.... but if you are doing a quick engagement, lase for center of visible mass, and once the gunner reports range, if it seems close enough for gov't work, give executive to fire, and then make corrections (if neccesary)). Anyway, there are optical methods for determining range, which use the mil scale (1 mil at 1000meters equals 1 meter). So, if you knew that a vehicle was 2.5 meters wide, and it is 2.5 mils wide, you know it is at 1000m, and so on.

Al

LordOsborne said:
do you use your C6 co-ax for ranging at all?

Ranging?????  

::)

What planet are you from?

EDIT: Just looked at the profile, MSN info and pers website. Need I say more. 

Wesley H. Allen said:
Ranging?????

::)

What planet are you from?

it was an innocent question! i mean, say your laser rangefinder was disabled and your optical rangefinder was damaged, and you don't want to waste main ammunition by firing and observing hits and misses... is the co-ax the ultimate last resort?  :p

As much as I encourage younger pers on this great website and helping out/assisiting where I can, I think you should keep your critiques and opinions to to yourself when it comes to evaluating wpns and kit. I am not slinging shyte at ya mate,  but I have since read some of your other posts and you are in way too much over your head. Text books and websites cannot offer you the experience in the real world.

Hopfully you'll take heed to what I have said.

Mr. Allen, yes, i hear you loud and clear. i'll stick to reading in this thread instead of posting :salute:

Having Crew Commanded on both Centurion and Leopards I'll step in here.  The .50 Ranging gun on the Centurion was used with a solenoid that only allowed a three round burst.  It was slaved to the optical sights (the No. 30 sight was very similar to the Cougar sight) and the gunner used a technique of firing at a series of graduated "Dots".  As the trajectory of the .50 Cal was similar to that of Sabot at the same ranges, it was an ideal choice before the development of lasers.  There were also "Dots" corresponding to ranges for HESH/SMK BE/HEAT; as well as a scale of Dots for the Co-ax.  The .50 Cal Ranging Gun fired three round bursts of Tracer.  When a three round burst of Tracer hit the Target, the corresponding Dot was the correct range and applied to the Sevice Ammo scale to be fired.  

It was not used as a co-ax.  There was a .30 Cal GPMG (later converted to 7.62 mm) mounted beside the .50 that was used as a Co-ax.  

You do not use a Co-ax as a Ranging Gun.  It is far to inaccurate.

If a Range Finder 'goes down' then the CC must switch to another 'known technique' or use "Estimated Techniques".  He can use a map.  He could use his eyeball and estimate.  He could use a previous shoot or a range card.  He could use corrections from another tank.  There are many ways to carry on.  He could use a "Battle Technique" if firing Sabot at a close range.  Further out he can use "BOT".  

Coyote gunnery follows the same principals and techniques.  The .50 Cal Ranging Gun sounds like a "Good" burst from a Coyote......"Who's that knocking at my door?"

George Wallace, thank you for sharing your expertise and experiences.  :)

cheers,
Pat

Cpl.Banks(Cdt.) said:
Oh well at least we are keep 3 sqd's of Leo's...With our quote unquote big budget boost why don't we get some new tanks?

What is this? Have the powers that be changed their minds? Are they keeping us in the tank business after the budget? Or is this "keep" idea just a different meaning for mothballing?

Just a clarifier...

Back