• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Black Sea Drill

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Good practice.

https://www.stripes.com/news/europe/us-special-operators-and-army-artillerymen-flex-muscles-in-groundbreaking-black-sea-drill-1.652809

So if I understand right they loaded two rocket artillery launchers onto SOCOM C-130s, landed austere, did a fast set up, a precision rocket artillery strike, then loaded back up and frigged off again? Because if I've got that right, that's pretty cool in its implications. I'm sure the target prosecution can be done more efficiently with a standoff air launched weapon, but the fact that they rapid-deployed and employed a fire support capability hints at flexibility in a lot of other useful options. Ivan will have been paying attention.

All that, plus they sent the targeting information and loaded into the fire control computer while airborne in the MC-130.

PuckChaser said:
All that, plus they sent the targeting information and loaded into the fire control computer while airborne in the MC-130.

Not a gunner here and I don't know how HIMARS works beyond 'big rocket kill', but would they have to have surveyed the firing position for that to be usable, or is a guided weapon that doesn't rely on precise launch coordinates/elevation to hit?

Brihard said:
Not a gunner here and I don't know how HIMARS works beyond 'big rocket kill', but would they have to have surveyed the firing position for that to be usable, or is a guided weapon that doesn't rely on precise launch coordinates/elevation to hit?

Me neither, but this sounds like a forward SOF element is doing a reconnaissance behind enemy lines (where drone/aircraft strike is not possible), locates a HVT/HVI and they scramble the HIMARS to support. While in the air they get the coordinates from that SOF team enroute and can quickly fire once they land within range. It's a pretty cool capability from a Sigs perspective to enable that information passage.

Sounds like it would be easier to let the USAF/USN hit the target.

They are, and/or soon will be all connected in the JADC2 data space. FAS primer in JADC2.  The system is intended to allow fully-function Multi-Domain Operations (MDO), while countering enemy Anti Access/Area Denial (A2/AD) capabilities.  End state is to have a certain level of detail of red force information, including targeting information, omni-present in the blue force battle management framework so that all blue assets will be informed and ready and able to be assigned to engage enemy elements in a contiguous command and control framework, and not a unique, individually-selected combat element that needs a specific upload of information to engage selected targets.

Regards
G2G

You mean a big, electronic, multi-disciplinal target record book. Imagine calling for a fire mission all available. All the steel on the target would screw with earth's magnetic field!

Old Sweat said:
You mean a big, electronic, multi-disciplinal target record book. Imagine calling for a fire mission all available. All the steel on the target would screw with earth's magnetic field!

:nod:

The MOAZT!  (Mother of All Zulu-Tangos). ;D

While I always love to hear about new advanced warfighting concepts being developed and tested in real time, this one in particular seems like a LOT of work just to lob a few rockets down range at a target.

They have to load the HIMARS vehicles into aircraft.  Launch aircraft.  Fly aircraft over to target area - hoping it doesn't get shot down on the way, or otherwise engaged.

Offload the vehicles.  Vehicles lob some rockets at some targets.  Load the vehicles back up.  And get the aircraft airborne again.

This really does seem like something a long range stand off munition would be able to do, with significantly less risk.  (Not to mention logistical hassle)

:2c:

What munition can be delivered by HIMARS that can’t be delivered via air or naval strike?

CloudCover said:
What munition can be delivered by HIMARS that can’t be delivered via air or naval strike?

An ARMY munition...

:whistle:

Isn't it a good thing to have more than one way of putting HE and steel on a target?

Absolutely.

In this case, however, the logistical tasking & risk in a conflicted area doesn't seem to be the most efficient way to do that.

CBH99 said:
Absolutely.

In this case, however, the logistical tasking & risk in a conflicted area doesn't seem to be the most efficient way to do that.

When it comes to SOCOM activities, perhaps you’re thinking about the wrong ‘E’?

Think ‘effective’.

Did it work? Yes.

Did they do it with internal assets? Yes. (Qualifying that the HIMARS was likely TACOM to them)

Could they do it elsewhere when the next call for a decent indirect fires support element come in? Yes.

Something tells me a SOTF would be pretty happy having HIMARS fires in support.  :nod:

Regards
G2G

Back