• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bizarre phantom pay!

J

jmackenzie_15

Any of you guys ever get money for seemingly no reason?
I can't seem to figure out why, but on the 8th of july (not even a pay day  ???) I was paid 699 something.... I hadnt worked since the first
week of june, except for one single day on the 16th of june.... i got paid another 92 dollars today, but I guess thats probobly from
the day i worked on the 16th? Or is that too far back for that to be it..

I did a course in gagetown that was roughly a month long... would a travel claim work out to be around 700 ish? I havnt seen any pay stubbs or looked at the route letter from that course since like... i dunno months ago.

What the hell is going on? anything like this happen to you guys?
If any more ghost money shows up im going to have to call DND Finance or something..... but im not exactly eager to just say hey stop giving me money  :p

Go talk to your orderly rom and review your on-line pay records with the clerk. It may be the finalization of an outstanding claim. OR .... it may be an error, and the system wil be looking to have it back some day, probably at the worst possible time if you decide to play dumb and spend it.

Yes, I agree with Michael. Go talk to your Orderly Room. Having said that, it probably is your travel claim. A month in Gagetown could very well get you that amount when you figure in incidentals and/or FOA if you spent any time in the field. Since the deposit was made on the 8th, it will not be a pay issue. Any pay issues, whether backpay or deductions will only appear on the pay runs of the 15th or 30th/31st.

I also suggest in future that when you go on course and settle a travel claim that you request a copy of the claim after it's been finalized. That way you have a record of the amount and can track any future "obscure" deposits.

Cheers.

I still advocate that anytime a troop's pay gets fucked up, the clerk who made the error should pay it off and Bloggins gets to keep the "mistake". That would sort this shit out double quick, since the clerks would be way more careful about this crap if they knew they might have to eat it, instead of just screwing up and getting away scott free. Of course, I may just be bitter, having to deal with other's screwups in regards to my fiscal situation (over- and underpays).

Either way, don't spend a dime until you are 100% sure that the money IS yours to spend.

Now, if only the CF would agree to build an online, password protected pay account site for troops to be able to track their pays and taxations. CIBC already does it for personal accounts. I know we get pay statements, but that's a sometimes thing depending on the leadership's promptness in handing them out.

Now, if only the CF would agree to build an online, password protected pay account site for troops to be able to track their pays and taxations.

And bring the CF pay system into the new millenium? Surely you jest!  ;D

Marauder said:
I still advocate that anytime a troop's pay gets fucked up, the clerk who made the error should pay it off and Bloggins gets to keep the "mistake". That would sort this shit out double quick, since the clerks would be way more careful about this crap if they knew they might have to eat it, instead of just screwing up and getting away scott free. Of course, I may just be bitter, having to deal with other's screwups in regards to my fiscal situation (over- and underpays).

Either way, don't spend a dime until you are 100% sure that the money IS yours to spend.

Now, if only the CF would agree to build an online, password protected pay account site for troops to be able to track their pays and taxations. CIBC already does it for personal accounts. I know we get pay statements, but that's a sometimes thing depending on the leadership's promptness in handing them out.

Good advice about not spending it until you're sure.

I like the idea of the pay account site as well.

As for the rest.  This has been a problem for years.  My earlier comments on the subject can be found here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26008/post-185841.html#msg185841

Marauder said:
Now, if only the CF would agree to build an online, password protected pay account site for troops to be able to track their pays and taxations.

The CF already provides this service for its members.  EMAA has online pay stubs and full access to PEN forms, MPRR. Readiness Verification Reports, etc etc...

Mayhaps this service is only for RegF members, but with the move from RPSR to PeopleSoft for the PRes, expect it soon!

i have often wondered about the accountability of the clerk that inputs the information. I understand we all make mistakes, god knows I have made plenty. Usually I am held accountable for mine in one way or another.

Pay mistakes can have drastic effects on the member. I would like to see a system, where the clerk's supervisor could see the error or corrections rate made by that clerk monthly. In addition to that the supervisors boss having access to the data base so he/she can see how effective the supervisor is at supervising their clerks.

Nothing drives me crazier then being called a customer or being told there has been a computer error.... :rage:

Chimo said:
i have often wondered about the accountability of the clerk that inputs the information. I understand we all make mistakes, god knows I have made plenty. Usually I am held accountable for mine in one way or another.

Pay mistakes can have drastic effects on the member. I would like to see a system, where the clerk's supervisor could see the error or corrections rate made by that clerk monthly. In addition to that the supervisors boss having access to the data base so he/she can see how effective the supervisor is at supervising their clerks.

Nothing drives me crazier then being called a customer or being told there has been a computer error.... :rage:

Chimo:

I agree with the "Customer" thing.  I refused to adopt the practice, or let my subordinates adopt it (at least within earshot) when I was still in.

There were monitoring systems similar to what you suggest in the Reg Force pay system - I don't believe the same is true of the RPSR (Reserve Pay System).

You are correct about drastic consequences - these can usually be corrected (or at least the effects alleviated) VERY rapidly in the Reg Force system.  Once again, I cannot really speak to the Reserve system.

Claims can be settled via direct banking.  Did you have a claim with cash due back to you that was recently settled?

Navalsnipr, Marauder, etc - not a whole lot of experience with RPSR, but:

If you screw up on that left flanking, or laying the smack down on the correct grid - or don't clear the obstacles, or get that bridge in place, or order too much ammo, or don't get the POL to the right grid......... Where's your accountability -  financially or otherwise? Does it only matter for other trades if your mistakes remain notional - with no REAL impact, until the "real thing"?? All member's of the CF make mistakes and holding the lowest Private or Corporal responsible for pay errors is just poor leadership..  You want Pte Bloggins to be on the hook for  a couple grand and you ahead a couple of grand, because of a typo or lack of training - or poor leadership? That just rings wrongly.  Nothing that happens in Reg Force pay can't be fixed. From personal experience, I can understand that being underpaid or not paid at all can be a serious problem. but cheques can be cut and arrangements made. Do you think Private Bloggins is getting away "Scott Free"? Repeatedly "screwing up" isn't going to affect his career? We've all had some bad experiences, but we try not to generalize or stereotype..

Zeke,
I agree with you that any and all errors made by a pay clerk affect the troops right away....
BUT
Pathfinderws have managed to get themselves lost,
Engineers have been known to drop their bridge into the gap,
Truckers have been known to ditch or bog down their truck(s),
Storemen have been known to err - give ya too much (or get you to sign for something you didn't get....

Guess it all has something to do with the term "training"

Supervisors do have great responsibility though - let's get down to it and get the job done.

Chimo!

It is made clear to the mbr that he or she is responsible for their pay, and as soon as they see a mistake, they should bring it to the OR ASASP.  You know what you should be making, pay to pay, and if you see any extra, ask why, as this mbr has been suggested to do.  Mistakes do happen, any position you are in, and all are accountable, but there is no way that a person should keep the extra money, when we are all responsible for our own pay, ultimately.  But, in this case, it is most probably a finalized claim.

Back