• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bitter debate over the (US) Fleece Jacket is settled

[tip toes away from the Great Toque Conflagration] ;)
Well, DComd RCAF said (paraphrased) that people should be able to be adults about headdress and gloves in operational uniform.

Some Wings have stopped that toque = gloves nonsense. Some Wings have not. :rolleyes:

Are you guys STILL arguing about fleece toques and jackets and gloves?? :LOL:

It's a season other than summer in Canada. What do you think? :sneaky:
The common sense crowd in the CAF each need to be issued a 2 pound (1kg) cast iron frying pan. Not for frying bacon and eggs but to smack some sense into idiots. I doubt you'd need many frying pans.

Adding: Once common sense has been achieved in 60% of the CAF then you may use the issued frying pans to cook bacon and eggs. Or whatever you want to cook.

The common sense crowd in the CAF each need to be issued a 2 pound (1kg) cast iron frying pan. Not for frying bacon and eggs but to smack some sense into idiots. I doubt you'd need many frying pans.

Adding: Once common sense has been achieved in 60% of the CAF then you may use the issued frying pans to cook bacon and eggs. Or whatever you want to cook.

At least some leadership is showing common sense… 🤔

Well, DComd RCAF said (paraphrased) that people should be able to be adults about headdress and gloves in operational uniform.

Some Wings have stopped that toque = gloves nonsense. Some Wings have not.

As an outsider, it's somewhat amusing to listen to the angst over uniform wardrobe. In policing, we used to be somewhat similar. In my former Force, we couldn't change over from winter to summer uniforms until a certain calendar date or headquarters said so. The trouble was, the climate in Windsor is quite a bit different from Kenora. Two members riding together had to look exactly the same . Now, the thinking is, they issue various pieces of weather-related kit - wear it as you see fit. For headdress, they issue a peaked cap, ball cap and fur hat - pick one.

As an outsider, it's somewhat amusing to listen to the angst over uniform wardrobe. In policing, we used to be somewhat similar. In my former Force, we couldn't change over from winter to summer uniforms until a certain calendar date or headquarters said so. The trouble was, the climate in Windsor is quite a bit different from Kenora. Two members riding together had to look exactly the same . Now, the thinking is, they issue various pieces of weather-related kit - wear it as you see fit. For headdress, they issue a peaked cap, ball cap and fur hat - pick one.
What? Point Pelée and Pickle Lake don’t have the same climate? 😉

What? Point Pelée and Pickle Lake don’t have the same climate? 😉
There was a period when we had no 'mid-season' coat, so when we went to 'shirtsleeves', that was it. Night shift in NWO in late May was either be cold or look like a dork and wear the winter parka (which, over just a shirt was technically a non-no, but . . .)

There was a period when we had no 'mid-season' coat, so when we went to 'shirtsleeves', that was it. Night shift in NWO in late May was either be cold or look like a dork and wear the winter parka (which, over just a shirt was technically a non-no, but . . .)
I recall a spring in Wainwright where it snowed and was well below freezing - but due to Summer Dress, our winter kit was not allowed to be brought out.

I'm also the guy who shot a CFSAC in ballcap and sandals, but I believe my absolute distain for dress regs was inspired by a certain PPCLI RSM who never should have been promoted past Cpl.

I recall a spring in Wainwright where it snowed and was well below freezing - but due to Summer Dress, our winter kit was not allowed to be brought out.

I'm also the guy who shot a CFSAC in ballcap and sandals, but I believe my absolute distain for dress regs was inspired by a certain PPCLI RSM who never should have been promoted past Cpl.
You'll have to be more specific.

I remember heat waves when our police rode in yellow cars - no air-conditioning - with peaked hats, long-sleeve gray shirts, Sam Browne belts and neck ties.

Not sure if it is any more comfortable now with all the gear they wear.

Sometimes those on foot patrol used to drop by the station to warm up / cool down, take their boots off, put their feet up and watch a little TV.

Pray tell which one was that?

RCN enters the chat

Lol so right...

I once got jacked up for not wearing gloves while I smoked a cigarette... because I had a touque on...

If you didn't know, in the RCN we wear our headress while smoking.

I remember heat waves when our police rode in yellow cars - no air-conditioning - with peaked hats, long-sleeve gray shirts, Sam Browne belts and neck ties.

Not sure if it is any more comfortable now with all the gear they wear.

Sometimes those on foot patrol used to drop by the station to warm up / cool down, take their boots off, put their feet up and watch a little TV.
Yup - same era. Couldn't remove your hat while driving unless you had special dispensation (too tall). Winter footwear was parade boots and galoshes - totally awesome at -40. Only a/c vehicles were canine units (we had a few Rambler Ambassadors that came standard with a/c - garage spiked it). My B-in-L used to be a biker in 1 Traffic where they rode all year. They would go out, blast off a few tickets and parking tags then go hide somewhere.

Only a/c vehicles were canine units (we had a few Rambler Ambassadors that came standard with a/c - garage spiked it).

I'm an animal lover, but good grief!

Back