• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bilingual Regiment Names

bob the piper

Inactive
Reaction score
Can the names of regiments be translated from English to French or vice versa?
Ex. PPCLI = Infanterie Leger Canadien de la Princesse Patricia or RWR = Fusilliers Royal de Winnipeg

Bob said:
Ex. PPCLI = Infanterie Leger Canadien de la Princesse Patricia or RWR = Fusilliers Royal de Winnipeg

Looks to me like you just did  ;D

Realisticaly though, i dont think it is done as the name of a regiment is the way it is.........

I've never heard it done that way.  The French units are always presented in their French form, even in English.  We never say "Royal Twenty-Second Regiment", etc, etc....

Infanteer said:
I've never heard it done that way.   The French units are always presented in their French form, even in English.   We never say "Royal Twenty-Second Regiment", etc, etc....

Ya, I was thinking about the Vandoos so I guess not then. Has anyone ever seen any bilingual documents with regimental names translated?

le 48th??

It could work, but naw.

Come on. You mean you've never heard of the Karantwheats?

Karantwheets...

hmmmm...

LE FORTEE ATEZ..

Has a ring, lemme e-mail my conservative rep...

dileas

tess

The Canadian Forces Address Manual has all of the official unit names.  If you are producing a bilingual document (such as a letter with two column bilang format) the addresses are translated when appropriate as per this manual.  It is not available on the Internet but it is available on the Intranet Baseline System under References.

Bob said:

RWR would be Voltigeurs Royal de Winnipeg, Not Fusilliers

Units get a designation:  English Language Unit, French Language Unit, Bilingual Language Unit.  The unit's name follows that designation.  Thus, the PPCLI are an ELU and the name isn't translated.

Chevaliers de Lord Strathcona (Canadiens Royaux)?  Naaa... ;D

"Fusil" is better translated as "musket" not "rifle." A "voltigeur" (lit. "vaulter") is a light infantryman, not a rifleman.

As Teddy pointed out, we tend not to translate unit names for good reason. Should the English for Le Regiment de Chaudiere be translated into "The Big Vat Regiment" (or, the more popular in Quebec: "The Bucket Regiment")?

Acorn

1ST BATTALION, PRINCESS PATRICIA'S CANADIAN LIGHT INFANTRY =
1ER BATAILLION PRINCESS PATRICIA'S CANADIAN LIGHT INFANTRY

1st REGIMENT ROYAL CANADIAN HORSE ARTILLERY=
1er RÉGIMENT, ROYAL CANADIAN HORSE ARTILLERY

1ER BATAILLON, ROYAL 22E REGIMENT=
1ST BATALLION, ROYAL 22E REGIMENT

ETC.

Units get a designation:  English Language Unit, French Language Unit, Bilingual Language Unit.  The unit's name follows that designation.  Thus, the PPCLI are an ELU and the name isn't translated

Not exactly true. A unit's language designation has absolutely nothing to do with whether the unit's name is French or English. It has everything to do with location. And unit names are never translated.

Example: The Cameron Highlanders - bilingual designated unit (being in Ottawa and all). En francais <<The Cameron Highlanders>>

Right, the designation is based on geography...(ADM(HR-MIL) and ADM(HR-CIV) Instruction 05/01 refers).  I'm not 100% if unit titles are divorced from the designation, though, but won't argue the point.  ;D

I didn't realize that the Camerons were bilingual (which they would be under the policy).  Their website (http://www.army.dnd.ca/Land_Force_Central_Area/33_Canadian_Brigade_Group/Cameron_Highlanders_of_Canada/main_e.htm) seems to indicate otherwise...(scroll to the bottom).

RoyalHighlandFusilier said:
I thought un fusil meant rifle in french?
Acorn said:
"Fusil" is better translated as "musket" not "rifle." A "voltigeur" (lit. "vaulter") is a light infantryman, not a rifleman.

You're both right, but in day to day usage in French, "fusil" is used in place of gun. It's pretty much a generic term. Also "voltigeur" is the accepted French term for Rifleman, I just forgot that when i was making my original translation. "Fantassin" is used for a regular infantryman.

I didn't realize that the Camerons were bilingual (which they would be under the policy).  Their website (http://www.army.dnd.ca/Land_Force_Central_Area/33_Canadian_Brigade_Group/Cameron_Highlanders_of_Canada/main_e.htm) seems to indicate otherwise...(scroll to the bottom).

I just spoke to a Lieutenant Colonel here who is from the Camerons. I stand corrected, sort of  ;D I should have used the GGFG as an example. However, the Cameron's were supposed to be designated as a bilingual unit, but when the whole designation thing came out, only the band was designated with the bilingual tag and the unit itself was tagged unilingual English even though their location signifies that they are suppose to be bilingual. Go figure!

Back