• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Big Fires Around Halifax

Jesus. Not to suggest it’s the same scale, but that looks like a Fort Mac style interface fire. I really hope everyone got out OK and that they can get it under control swiftly.

Is the Tantallon they're referring to the town/village/hamlet about 45 mins west of Halifax, or a neighbourhood within HRM?

I've been to the first one but not sure if I'm thinking of the same place.

Is the Tantallon they're referring to the town/village/hamlet about 45 mins west of Halifax, or a neighbourhood within HRM?

I've been to the first one but not sure if I'm thinking of the same place.

This is a pretty accurate representation of where the fire(s) is/are last night.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    416 KB · Views: 27
Crazy. Is Nova Scotia normally prone to these sorts of things or is this unusual?

2009 was the last time the HRM had a massive urban wildfire, this one is larger.

Crazy. Is Nova Scotia normally prone to these sorts of things or is this unusual?
This is unusual.The winds yesterday were swirling or gusting up to 50 Kms PH. It will be interesting to see what the investigation concludes and I hope it was not a backyard gardening twig farmer that torched what little they had. Mayor Savage mentioned this morning that some of the firefighters themselves MAY have lost their homes. At least ten homes are completely gone as of Sundown last night.

We have been called out to provide assistance at the shelters, so this will be a prolonged response.

Unconfirmed but, Global news was reporting that fire was started by an illegal burn around 3:30pm in the Westwood area. Dozens of homes destroyed in Westwood with the damage in Hammonds Plains “significantly worse”.

Yes, Porters Lake was large. I was quoting a news report on the last large urban wildfire in HRM.

We have been called out to provide assistance at the shelters, so this will be a prolonged response.

Thanks for doing what you do, Kratz. I'm not in the path of this one but it's still close enough to home. The sheer number of calls and reports of bon fires/illegal burns etc in the counties that were Restricted/banned is an indication, to me, the consequences need to be increased for "doing what you want".

We had a small fire in the community adjacent to ours, also one that started when there was no burning. Effin idiots.

Yes, Porters Lake was large. I was quoting a news report on the last large urban wildfire in HRM.

I forgot about that one: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...rews-battle-wildfire-in-halifax-area-1.835814

Porters Lake had one back in 2020...not as bad but I know some folks were on the "5 minutes to get out" orders IVO Mill Lake. Evacuations ongoing due to ‘significant’ brush fire in Porters Lake, N.S. - Halifax | Globalnews.ca

With the quantity of 'standing firewood' throughout the province from Dorian, Fiona...we are not in good shape. We prevent natural fires from clearing the tinder, etc and when it goes...it really goes.

Unconfirmed, but I've seen a comment a few minutes ago that the fire wasn't started by someone burning in their backyard, or a bonfire.

It was 3 teenagers setting tires on fire in the woods.

I follow the Nova Scotia Fire/Emergency/Info FB group; it is reporting "30-50+ homes affected in the the Tantalllon fire, however the number is likely much higher".

This is the picture posted of "hot spots". Holy F.

Hot spots Tantallon Fire.jpg

Unconfirmed, but I've seen a comment a few minutes ago that the fire wasn't started by someone burning in their backyard, or a bonfire.

It was 3 teenagers setting tires on fire in the woods.

I follow the Nova Scotia Fire/Emergency/Info FB group; it is reporting "30-50+ homes affected in the the Tantalllon fire, however the number is likely much higher".

This is the picture posted of "hot spots". Holy F.

View attachment 77823

Ya this is very substantial. And in somewhat densely populated areas. I expect many have lost most of their worldly possessions. I hope they were able to save their loved ones and pets.

What a terrible time for this to happen, only amplifying our housing crisis in Halifax.

I live in Fairview, and took my daughter and puppy to the park last night, you could taste it and the smoke plume was truly huge.

Dumb teenagers doing dumb things. Glad to hear that there has been no injuries or deaths.

When was the last time there has been a forest fire in the region? I can imagine that the fuel load would be high because I cannot recall a fire for the last 30 years. We really need to do more prescribed burns across the country to reduce the fuel and maybe also reduce building in the environmental interface zones.

Back