• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bidding may be bypassed in $12.2B military deals

Pikache

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051110.military11/BNStory/National/

By MICHAEL DEN TANDT

Thursday, November 10, 2005 Posted at 7:48 PM EST

Globe and Mail Update

Ottawa - On Monday key cabinet ministers will discuss plans to bypass much of the traditional competitive bidding process for a $12.2-billion purchase of 50 military aircraft -- including 15 Chinook helicopters for the mission in Afghanistan and 16 Hercules transports -- because the need for new planes is so urgent, sources say.

The proposal, driven by Chief of Defence Staff Rick Hillier, has tacit approval from Defence Minister Bill Graham and Prime Minister Paul Martin, sources say. But it is sending ripples of distress through the Canadian aerospace and defence industry, which stands to lose the biggest defence procurement contracts in a generation.

Gen. Hillier, a former commander of allied troops in Afghanistan, has mounted an intense personal lobbying effort to sell the fast-track plan to a reluctant political and policy establishment, sources say. His argument, in essence, is that the military's need for hardware is so urgent that it would be irresponsible to stick to the old decision-making process, which often took several years.

"Hillier's basically saying, we're getting this because I know what we need," said a defence department official familiar with the situation. "It's leadership. We haven't had that before."

Advertisements
click here
click here

In addition to helicopters and transports, the purchase is expected to include 15 fixed-wing search-and-rescue aircraft and four "northern utility" planes, according to defence department documents obtained by The Globe and Mail.

Department officials have not singled out a favoured rescue aircraft, but are leaning toward the C27J, made by Italian-based Alenia, defence industry sources say. Another option is Spanish-based EADS's C-295. A modified version of Montreal-based Bombardier's turboprop Dash 8 runs a distant third, sources say.

If the plan goes ahead, the first of the new aircraft would be delivered within 36 months, with the last coming into service within 60 months, the documents show. The plan is scheduled to be discussed Monday by Cabinet's powerful operations committee.

Global aerospace industry players, including Montreal-based Bombardier Inc. and Airbus, 80-per-cent owned by EADS, have mounted intense lobbying campaigns of their own to persuade the federal government that Gen. Hillier's plan is rash and will cost far more than it should because the new process is inherently non-competitive.

"It's the same thing as Gomery," said one defence industry insider. "They're saying, 'we've got to do it quickly, so we have to circumvent the process.'"

No one in the Canadian aerospace industry disagrees with the notion that the Canadian military needs new hardware as soon as possible, the insider said. "It's how [Gen. Hillier] is going about doing it. It's going to get them in trouble."

The heart of the matter, he said, is that Gen. Hillier is charismatic and persuasive, and, by virtue of his experience in Afghanistan and elsewhere, has strong ideas about what equipment he likes. As a result, he's pulled the politicians along in his wake, the source said. "He's going for the brass ring."

Although the proposed new procurement process pays lip-service to open bidding, the industry insider said, it's anything but. "They'll claim there's a competition. But the requirements have been set up so that only one aircraft will get the nod."

Senior defence department officials, while not denying this, view it differently.

It would be idiotic not to take senior officers' combat knowledge into account in making procurement decisions, they say. And traditional Canadian procurement is too bureaucratic and slow for a military heading into combat, with a dire need for airlift, and where there are already obvious solutions in the field.

The Chinook-CH47 helicopter, a department official pointed out, is in use now in Afghanistan. "If there's another helicopter that can do the job, we're happy to have it," the official said. "Bring it on." But the Chinook is the only rotary-wing aircraft that can operate "at 40 degrees, up 5,000 feet, pulling 5,000 pounds," the official said.

As for the Hercules transports, he said, the Canadian military uses an older version of the same aircraft now, which makes them easier to integrate.

The Canadian Defence Industries Association has urged the Liberal government to introduce "performance-based procurement," and that's what the government has promised and the military is proposing, the official said.

Tim Page, president of the CDIA, said that's open to interpretation. "The question is, what is a performance-based approach?"

Critics of Gen. Hillier's proposal say there may be aircraft other than the Chinook and Hercules that could do the job as well or better, though not in the precise way specified by the government's request for proposals. "Performance-based is you get yourself from home to work in X time," said one. "You're not out there deciding whether you want to drive in a Lamborghini or a Toyota Corolla."

The Canadian defence industry is adamant, Mr. Page said, that the government should take economic and regional development into account.

Bombardier's proposal to build search-and-rescue craft at its de Havilland plant in Toronto, a defence department official said, has created substantial backroom pressure on Prime Minister Paul Martin to have at least some of the new aircraft built in Canada. Ontario minister Joe Volpe has been active on the file, sources say.

But so far, he said, Mr. Martin has resisted the pressure. He has said the process must be transparent, founded on clear performance markers and open enough to allow any company an opportunity to participate, if it can. Beyond that, the message from the Prime Minister has been that "we will fulfill the commitment to get the troops the equipment they need," the official said.

Senator Colin Kenny, who heads the Senate defence committee, said the dilapidated state of the Canadian military's planes and helicopters requires urgent solutions. He said few in the military would find fault with either new Chinook helicopters or new Hercules transports. "Few people understand the extent of the rust-out," he said.

It disgusts me to see that politicians are still willing to put the lives and capabilities of Canadian soldiers on the line just so that a few of these projects can have a place in Canada. We need this stuff now, I don't think it should matter if it comes from Canada or not.

Big Foot said:
It disgusts me to see that politicians are still willing to put the lives and capabilities of Canadian soldiers on the line just so that a few of these projects can have a place in Canada. We need this stuff now, I don't think it should matter if it comes from Canada or not.

Under the circumstances yeah....build in Canada for the long-term, now its too urgent.

I don't really see the need to build in Canada. We need to face the facts here, Canada does not have a huge aviation industry, especially in terms of a heavy lift building capability. We should really leave the building of these projects to the people who have experience and the expertise to build aircraft to the required specs. Forget Canadian industry, look at cost efficiency.

We need Chinooks.  They're only built by Boeing.  No other helicopter can do what the Chinook can as far as high altitude heavy lifting is concerned.  Except maybe the Sea Night, which is also built by Boeing. 

We need Hercules, because we already have Hercules, and there is no time to evaluate a new system and completely retrain pilots and restock the logistical system to support a new platform.  Hercules is built by Lockheed.

What's to compete?

Sounds like sour grapes coming from the Libs old cronies, cause they aren't automatically getting the work.

Just my $0.02

My thoughts exactly, teddy. As for the comments about regional development, we're a military, not a social welfare program. We should be able to buy equipment from whoever can best meet our needs, not so that we can make work somewhere in Canada. Less talk, more action. Buy from those who can give us what we need.

The Lieberals have had twelve years to get the helicopter thing right. They can't, won't and don't want to. Time to move on, both procurment wise and party wise. Both are losing propositions, for the populace and the CF..

Military seeks $12.2B

Forces scramble to get funding for new airplanes and helicopters before federal election call

By STEPHANIE RUBEC, SENIOR POLITICAL REPORTER

OTTAWA -- The Canadian Forces will call on a cabinet committee Monday to approve a $12.2-billion purchase of new airplanes and choppers, according to the documents obtained by Sun Media.

A senior military officer confirmed the details of the cabinet submission, which includes long-awaited replacements for their aging Hercules transport planes and the Buffalo search-and-rescue aircraft.

TO WOO MINISTERS

It also allows for the purchase of new troop transport helicopters and provides a retainer for guaranteed use of giant transport planes.

On Monday top military officials will woo a select group of ministers who sit on the operations committee and later other ministers from the domestic affairs committee, and hope to see Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Rick Hillier personally pitch the purchase to full cabinet on Nov. 24 for final approval.

The defence department is scrambling to push the purchase through before a federal election call.

The defence industry is in an uproar over the package, which they say ensures all competition is eliminated and favourites are guaranteed the lucrative contracts.

Representatives of potential bidders privately agree that the Canadian Forces has set requirements for their new fleets to favour the new C130J Hercules, the C27J Spartan and the Boeing Chinook helicopter.

$3B FOR 16 CRAFT

A military official said the $3-billion budget for the replacement of Canada's Hercules with 16 aircraft means only updated versions of the same planes will fit the bill.

"What we want is the cheapest one to replace the Herc," the senior officer said, adding that only leaves the C130J to become the air force's workhorse.

The official said the military would prefer to purchase large transport planes to save on rental costs in the long run, but understands that the Liberal government isn't prepared to pay for them.

Slim said:
Military seeks $12.2B
Forces scramble to get funding for new airplanes and helicopters before federal election call

Forgive me for having EH-101 flashbacks with regards to this.  I'm afraid that if an election is forced this could become a lightening rod as an example of yet more Liberal largesse. 

All of us on this board realize the reality and necessity of this move but Joe Canadian is a sucker for a flashy campaign ad which trashes the opponent by painting "their pet projects" as pork barrelling to their cronies that were rushed through just before the election was called.  I'd like to think better of the Conservatives given their words regarding defence but with this one going to be a very, very close thing and Harper being anxious for the win, desperation may override common sense.

I love the new CDS more and more every day.
Seriously, he is the man, and seems to be immune to political pressure to say and do certain things and co-operate.
He fights very hard and sincerely for the military and its needs, and tells it like it is. I love this guy.

Ditto on support for the new CDS.  
We finally have a real leader in the position.   I hope that he inspires a new generation of leaders in the CF.

We've seen regional development before....it looks like the LSVW. I say it's about time. And I hope the new CDS works out also.

MP 00161 said:
Forgive me for having EH-101 flashbacks with regards to this.   I'm afraid that if an election is forced this could become a lightening rod as an example of yet more Liberal largesse.  

All of us on this board realize the reality and necessity of this move but Joe Canadian is a sucker for a flashy campaign ad which trashes the opponent by painting "their pet projects" as pork barrelling to their cronies that were rushed through just before the election was called.   I'd like to think better of the Conservatives given their words regarding defence but with this one going to be a very, very close thing and Harper being anxious for the win, desperation may override common sense.

I don't think this is another example of a pet project or pork barrelling, as the CDS is basically twisting the politico's arms to do his bidding.  Also the fact that CDS has slammed the door on the prospect of any Canadian company getting any of the contracts by virtue of the fact no Canadian company makes the products he wants.  The only party I can see making a big deal about this during a possible election would be the NDP.  Maybe this will be a wake up call to the Canadian Defence industry that they will actually have to make quality products that work, because those guaranteed contracts they were so used to will no longer be there for them.  If not, well they can go back to making snowmobiles and sea-doos.  The fact that all these lobbyist are running scared, makes me happy, because I take it to mean that the government will go ahead with this.

MP 00161 is right though.

The EH 101 was a "good" contract for the military too. It gave us the choppers we needed. But it was shot down for little other than the political reasons behind it's purchase. It had nothing to do with the helo or the cost. It was simply the new lion killing all of the cubs of the previous lion.

Gen. Hillier is doing what he believes is right, and what I believe is right too, by getting this equipment as fast as possible. However, he will undoubtedly get some steel in the back for it in the very near future. If this is a close election, I fear the conservatives will turn on Hillier and the military, and try to paint this as a political issue, when it is anything but.

Besides, this helo contract is also the beginning - Gen. H is already in the market for an amphibious/troop carrying ship - that should be around .5 to a billion or so, and then it will need helos too - can't wait to see what the opposition has to say about that!

This is why the upcoming election has me so worried.

I'm having major flashbacks to the the "Challenge and Commitment" white paper days, and I can TOTALLY see a new government stopping this process in its tracks. "The Liberals were going to send your tax dollars to Italy and the US instead of buying Canadian! Those horrible horrible men!"

And then it's years for the usual suspects to bid on the contracts  and yadda yadda yadda.

I love it when stuff is made in Canada; I think it adds an element of national pride when our kit is home-grown. But first and foremost the shit has to do the job. Given the choice between home-grown shitpiles and outsourced functional kit, give me the functional stuff every single time.

Any lobbiyists reading? THE STUFF HAS TO WORK!

I had such hopes for the LSVW when it came out, and that proved to be the single biggest steaming pile of merde in recent history. The CUCV kicked its ass, and that was just a plain old 5 quad with a diesel motor in it. And I keep hearing stories that the LSVW failed all its trials and still won the contract - why?

If missing a round at the trough leads the homegrown industry to improve quality, then I say go Hillier! I just hope that whatever government winds up at the helm agrees.

DG

If the Conservatives are smart they can play this as the exact opposite to the Liberals.

Remind the populace of the EH-101 fiasco, lobbyists, delays (think medical delays as well) by stating that the CPC will NOT do a Jean Chretien and cancel a needed military project for political gain.   Ultimately the Liberals bought the helicopter the Conservatives ordered.   The entire deal, including the unproven CH-148 has cost about the same.   It will be 20 years late and Canadian jobs were denied because of the decision.

Agree with the purchase but not the procurement.   Accept that the equipment needs to be purchased as urgent priority.   This is because the current system with the Gagliano/Brison PWGSC and the lobbyists is broken and needs to be fixed.

Remind the populace that it was the CPC and Harper that said that the forces needed a Hybrid Troop Carrier.   That notion was derided by the Liberals during the last election both in ads and from the PM's mouth (he said they needed aircraft - strategic C-17s implied - which are not being supplied).   If the CPC had been elected last time around the CDS would be that much closer to getting the ship that was clearly needed in the first place.

Just think how many hot buttons:   Jean Chretien, Alfonso Gagliano, Delays (health), Lies, Obfuscations, Ads, Lobbyists, EH-101, Military Neglect......it's like being dealt a full house.   The only way to screw up is   to not keep a straight face.

Edit:  The delay angle and Chretien could also be tied in to the impact of delays on HMCS Chicoutimi and the submarine programme.  Because the delay was financial as much as political (populace weren't believed to be accepting of military spending at a time of government cuts) then it can be tied back to Paul Martin's budget cuts.

While I agree with you Kirkhill that the Conservatives are being handed all the ammo they need to bring down the liberals, however Canadians (Ontario in particular) have consistently been willing to look past these blunders and vote liberal.  Although the liberals have to do is mention "Private Health Care" with regard to the conservatives and they are sunk.  I can see the NDP getting all up in arms about giving the contracts to foreign companies.  So this going to be an interesting election when it doe happen.

Your point is taken Hatchet Man.  The marketing might be easy.  The selling will continue to be difficult.

A lot of these comments are well taken, but the biggest "selling" point for us is the simple fact there are no equivalent products on the market. What else can do the job of a Herc or a Chinook?

The smaller airplane is something which could go to a competative bid, since there are several different planes which could do the job. Of course, Gen Hillier should simply write the bidding process to be as quick and simple as possible:

"The airplane needs X range, y payload and the ability to fly in conditions A,B and C. Whichever company can supply the most complete airframes, parts and training for $(insert price here) by date z wins. Sorry, no cost plus or overruns, and penalties for failing to comply with contract. Love, the Treasury Board of Canada"

Post this form of contract on the PWGSC website for all to see, and enforce the terms in an open and transparent fashion and we will be in the good.

I agree with majoor on the topic of the smaller plane.

This would be a perfect item to purchase "off the shelf"

New Twin Otters would be the best, but they stopped making them in 1988.

The Dash 8 is a high maintenance beast, and better suited to extreme cold than heat.

The extremely short timeline will ensure that only the most "motivated" companies will try for it, so I expect a foreign corp to win.

Back