• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bidding farewell to the Sea Kings

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
When the Royal Canadian Air Force retires its last remaining Sea King helicopters this month, there will be tears in the eyes of more than a few airmen and airwomen.

“These next couple of weeks, I’ll be a little emotional,” said 13-year helicopter pilot Capt. Carly Booker, of 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron in Patricia Bay.

https://www.timescolonist.com/islander/bidding-farewell-to-the-sea-kings-1.23516408

Lots of great stories about the "King" on FB. It's both nice (good to see them again) and sad  :'((Jesus Christ I'm getting old) to see all the pictures of the birds, crews and ships.

On a more disturbing note, one of the local stations talked about the Sea Kings, and they said their role was disaster relief, delivering humanitarian aid, and Search & Rescue. Not a word about ASW, their main reason for existing.
Once again, the media gets things kinda wrong and they don't care and also they even care less that we in the military care that they at least try to get things right. :facepalm:

FSTO said:
On a more disturbing note, one of the local stations talked about the Sea Kings, and they said their role was disaster relief, delivering humanitarian aid, and Search & Rescue. Not a word about ASW, their main reason for existing.
Once again, the media gets things kinda wrong and they don't care and also they even care less that we in the military care that they at least try to get things right. :facepalm:

The three primary roles of MH in Canada: subsurface warfare, surface warfare, and supporting air ooerations, the last of which includes disaster relief, delivering humanitarian aid, and SAR.  When they read them they misread and thought all three were in the last category...

... and in case anybody misunderstands, I know they haven't read them.

To be fair, it's as much DNDs fault as theirs.  Those nice guy things get played up, both to maks the capability look good and make it look relevant, and that warfare stuff just gets done behind closed doors and out at sea.  It's not like the prrss gets invited into the box during crew tactical training.  Add to that we sometimes take security a little too far (like a post I saw wherr someone said they'd like to tell stories about what they did at sea in the 80s but can't, with the underlying impression it's still cutting edge hush hush stuff).  And there is also a set of people in the community that think the warfare stuff isn't relevant and they should concentrate on "what's important."

As part of the ship's crew, we used to routinely give the fly-boys a bit of a hard time with all the usual jokes and jibes. 

During Gulf War I, those guys (and girls) pulled their weight and more. 

the winning bid on the last Sea Kings. Going to a new home

https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/rotor-maxx-support-ltd-acquires-canadian-ch-124-sea-kings/?utm_source=skies-daily-news-top-story&utm_campaign=skies-daily-news&utm_medium=email&utm_term=top-story&utm_content=V1&fbclid=IwAR3nGYgq2uwIgzddOBjaxnRdpiLytBR8NcidtkJ_2QfV8rlAXabZCnJIIC0

Back