• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BGen Ménard relieved of Afganistan Comd & other fall-outs

Sig_Des

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/29/kandahar-menard.html

Kandahar commander relieved of duties
Last Updated: Saturday, May 29, 2010 | 8:41 PM ET
The Canadian Press

Canada's top commander in Afghanistan, Brig.-Gen. Daniel Ménard, has been relieved of his duties following allegations that he was involved in an inappropriate personal relationship.

Col. Simon Hetherington said an investigation into the allegations has been launched but did not comment on the specifics.

Brig.-Gen. John Vance will assume command in the meantime.

Hetherington said Lt.-Gen. Marc Lessard made the decision to relieve Ménard of his duties after he lost confidence in Ménard's ability to command.

More to come

:eek:

While this is pretty hard to believe, until everything is settled, General Vance is in my opinion an excellent and capable choice, having held the position before Ménard.

Uh-oh....

hittingthefan.gif

Link:

http://www.am1150.ca/news/56/1142660

This is not good news, however, it shows the junior officers and all NCMs that no one is above the law.

Wait for the inevitable Michael Yawn "See?  I Told You He Was A Fuckup" column.

If the allegations are indeed proven, whatever happened to lead by example?

OWDU

It would be interesting to see what the facts are.  And who it was with.

Before we start thinking "negligent discharge" and all, let us remember that a personal relationship is not necessarily sexual in nature.

Anyway, let's let this play out before speculating.

As for BGen Vance going back in: good for him.  He is rather familiar with the area, and the various personalities in theatre. 

I've cleaned this up - let's keep it professional ladies and gentlemen.

The Staff

The scenarios for this could be endless.
One of my guys couldn't keep it in his pants a few years ago...she got caught out by her hubby, claimed sexual assault (ultimately not the case), and ruined a good man's reputation.

The list could go on.

Technoviking said:
As for BGen Vance going back in: good for him.  He is rather familiar with the area, and the various personalities in theatre.

Absolutely - this is bound to cause to tumult; especially to a multinational Brigade like TFK with 4 American Battalions (one with with recently relieved CO).  This is the best choice to get a steady, experienced hand in charge for fighting season.

BGen Dean Milner is reported by CTV to take over from BGen Vance, probably after a couple weeks to do a left seat, right seat handover.

PuckChaser said:
BGen Dean Milner is reported by CTV to take over from BGen Vance, probably after a couple weeks to do a left seat, right seat handover.
That's the media reporting the bloody obvious, such as the Sun will rise in the East tomorrow.  BGen Milner was already slated to be "next".  Putting BGen Vance in there now allows BGen to conduct the RIP on target with his crew.

There's a article online now from the Winnipeg Sun

"Chris Lemay, a spokesman for the Canadian Expeditionary Forces Command, told QMI Agency the department of defence has a "zero tolerance on personal relationships and fraternization" with members within the forces, as well as with members of the joint task force Afghanistan."  http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2010/05/29/14187296.html

Excuse me?  Military members date, live with and marry other military members all the time.

Can someone clarify the zero tolerance statement, please.

triniman said:
There's a article online now from the Winnipeg Sun

"Chris Lemay, a spokesman for the Canadian Expeditionary Forces Command, told QMI Agency the department of defence has a "zero tolerance on personal relationships and fraternization" with members within the forces, as well as with members of the joint task force Afghanistan."  http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2010/05/29/14187296.html

Excuse me?  Military members date, live with and marry other military members all the time.

Can someone clarify the zero tolerance statement, please.

On operations or exercise those relationships are verboten.
Not in Canada during hang around the garrison stuff.

Yon is claiming he reported the incident and that it was worth his time to get BGen Menard fired.

Yon, that incompetent jackass... Hmmm, will be funny as all hell if that blows up in Yon's face!

I had a good chortle at the comment Yawn made later on his FB page:

Now would be a good time to hit the Paypal. These fights are very expensive. I will keep fighting them but support is always needed.

Thank you to those who stood by me in this serious fight. As many of you know, the costs were high. Especially when I reported: The failure at Tarnak River Bridge. Negligent Discharge. Sexual affair. I am the only writer who discovered and wrote about these things. It's cold to stand alone.

Next stop: General Stanley McChrystal.

Is it news if you fabricate your own story?

Mid Aged Silverback said:
On operations or exercise those relationships are verboten.
Not in Canada during hang around the garrison stuff.

If I may add something...

Most people in the CF understand there is a policy and how it works.  Most people understand that means that you do NOT get involved with those who are in your direct chain of command, whether it is a subordinate, a superior or peer. 

When you are at, or close, to the top...well, very few people are not your subordinate.

Back