• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BFT Requirements (weight) 55 with FFO or without

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I've tried and failed the search function.

I'm looking for the BFT standards as far as the ruck sack weight +/- equipment.

I know you need to complete 13KM in 2h26m but what is the weight load?
I've heard
1. The soldier must have a rucksack weighting 55 lbs plus the rest of his equipment and;
2. The soldiers totalequipment must weight 55 pounds.  So the weight of the rifle, helmet, body armor and tac vest factor in to the 55lbs.

Also, officially is the small pack with appropriate weight permitted? I believe the field-am guys and girls do their BFT with a smallpack and I was told by a friend his rifle company in 3rcr did their bft with a small pack because "With all their FFO on the new rucksack due to it's weight was basically empty so they used small packs.

Cheers

21 pound empty rucksack seems excessive heh. Ah well thanks for the answer

Flawed Design said:
I believe the field-am guys and girls do their BFT with a smallpack

Yes, yes they do. As long as the wieght is there, does it matter what is on your back?

And 55 lbs is rifle, helmet, TV worn...not in/on your pack. Body armour is nice too...but a bit hot. :)

Prairie Dog said:
Yes, yes they do. As long as the wieght is there, does it matter what is on your back?
it does when people in the army make up shit as they go :)
It has to be the issued rucksack, and no jump rucks allowed blah blah. I've heard that before. OH the lies never stop

That's it. Stop the guessing. Jump ruck, patrol pack, 82 ruck or new issue, it doesn't matter. It's the weight. 24.5 kilos TOTAL., No standard how you carry it, as long as you carry the required items. If you carry it, no one can bitch whether your rifle is slung or packed. I fought this years ago and was told, rules are rules. Now I go with the flow, and what works for me.  From the Army Fitness Manual:

Weightload March. March a distance of 13 km in full fighting gear and rucsack
(24.5 kg total kit: ie., weapon, Equipment Issue Scale (EIS), helmet, webbing and
Field pack). Complete the distance in under 2hr 26min 20s. This is equivalent to a
pace of 5.33 km/hr. Your perceived exertion will be recorded throughout the
march to help monitor your pace and ensure safety.

Casualty Evacuation. Lift and carry (fireman’s carry) another soldier of similar
weight and height a distance of 100 m, with both members wearing a helmet and
carrying ammunition and a weapon. Lift with your legs and avoid excessive
forward bending so you don’t put undue stress on your lower back. Complete the
task in less than 60 seconds.

Ammunition Box Lift. Lift 48 ammunition boxes (20.9 kg, 4B/IT) from the
floor to a height of 1.3 m. You should work at a strong moderate pace and be
careful to lift correctly to protect your back. Helmet only is worn for this task.
Complete the task in less than five minutes.

Trench (Maximal) Dig. Using a standard shovel, move .486 cubic metres of pea
gravel (1 cm in diametre) from one trench box to another. Helmet only is worn for
this task. Complete the task in less than six minutes using whatever technique is
comfortable and works for you.

You will be given full instructions for each task and adequate time to warm up and
cool-down during the testing session. The AFS assessment is done in one session with
a minimum ten-minute break between each of the four tests standards.

Live with it and do what you think is right. Pretend you have to deploy tomorrow.

Further note: If the trench dig and ammo carry are not available they will not be done or included as part of the test. You can't be failed for these portions. Complete your 13 km, with 24.5 kg of prescribed gear, in the time alloted, and you're golden. ::)

its written down officially somewhere.  I think I read the official word on the DIN.  If you can find it it will stipulate the rules and regs, but if on CO orders to use this ruck and another CO to use this or that then I suppose an order is an order.

Read above. An order is an order, but redressable if it flies in the face of the official policy.

Crikies, I hate seeing a C7 jammed/strapped to a ruck on a BFT. 

Maybe with the CANFORGEN that came out authorizing each Element to establish their own PT/fitness criteria and testing, the CLS will sort this BFT out?

Necropost but just adding some info for those that want it.....

BFT KIT LIST

1.              The fol is the pers kit required to be carried on the 13 km BFT:

a.  Kevlar Helmet (must be worn);                                                                                    1.4 Kg
b.  Weapon C7;                                                                                                                3.4 Kg
c.  Tactical vest/webbing (worn) to include: respirator w/carrier, full water bottle,
    canteen cup with cover, and bayonet (if issued);                                                        5.0 Kg
d.  Worn - Cbt pants & shirt, Cbt boots, underwear, green T-shirt, socks and ID
    disks; and                                                                                                                    3.4 Kg
e.  Ballistic eyewear and gloves.

Weight this Section = 13.2 kg (29.1 lbs)

NOTE:  The respirator may be carried in the rucksack.

2.              The Rucksack / Patrol pack (individual choice) must contain 11.3 kg of weight.  The following kit meets this reqr:

a.              One set of CADPAT complete;
b.              Socks X 2;
c.                T-shirt/Underwear X 1 ea;                           
d.              Bath towel;
e.              Hand towel; and
f.                Sleeping Bag Carrier with sleeping bag inner, liner, ground sheet, wash basin and bivi bag.

Weight this Section = 11.3 kg (25 lbs)

NOTE:  If frag vest with ballistic plates is worn (7.5Kg), the rucksack / patrol pack must only weigh 3.8Kg (pack with items 2a.-c. above)

NFLD Sapper

Where is that kit list from? It is not in LFCO 24-02 (or if it is I could not see it).

Yeah, it sucks when on a practice march, the CO has the troops set up a hootch with sleeping gear laid out and all you have for shelter is a steel plate propped up on a thick stick a-la rabbit crusher.... :-\

Moral: Be ready.

And the firemans carry as of this year is out. It is now a 25m drag with full kit on grass with no stopping.

NFLD Sapper said:
2.              The Rucksack / Patrol pack (individual choice) must contain 11.3 kg of weight.  The following kit meets this reqr:

a.              One set of CADPAT complete;
b.              Socks X 2;
c.                T-shirt/Underwear X 1 ea;                           
d.              Bath towel;
e.              Hand towel; and
f.                Sleeping Bag Carrier with sleeping bag inner, liner, ground sheet, wash basin and bivi bag.

Weight this Section = 11.3 kg (25 lbs)

Lone Wolf AT said:
55 total
new ruck weights 21 pounds empty

The IPT at PSTC CFB Kingston may want to check their math and be more specific about that rucksack load.

Michael O'Leary said:
The IPT at PSTC CFB Kingston may want to check their math and be more specific about that rucksack load.

Nobody at PSTC is entitled to the new rucksack; they carry the old one or the SPS.  ;)

But they don't say which ruck their list is specific to. If they are sharing that information to a wider audience they are leaving it open to misinterpretation by others.

Back