• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bettering Fitness Standards while Waiting for BMQ

Hahahaha lol, are you fishing for compliments????

I am only 5'8 and only weigh 135 pounds.

I can only do 30 pushups, situps are easyyy cant count those.
I can run 7 laps in 12 minutes :S.

The fitness test is cakee.

Just remeber RJG, BMQ is not just about physical fitness.

Could you do 30 push-ups with 60 lbs on your back?  10 people from my platoon had difficulty with the 13 km march, not becuase
of physical fitness, but due to blisters by ill-fitting boots.  Could you pass a Immediate Actions Weapon Drill after
writting a General Military knowledge test a 1/2 hour before, with lack of sleep, and an Instructor yelling at you?  A member
from the platoon wants to quit, what are you going to do?    On a ruck march, a member is falling out, what are you
going to do?  You're in drill class, its a bad day, the Instructor comes up to you and starts yelling about your lack of
drive, what are you going to do?  You've had a day of three PT classes, academics classes, and a 7 km ruck-march, and
the platoon gets in trouble with the Duy NCO.  You're ordered to change into three different types of dress, face
inspection each time in a different part of the Mega.  What are you going to do?  A platoon member is tasked to gather
bedding sheets every week and misses breakfast?  If you risk missing breakfast, would you give him a hand?  Would
anyone else?

Dispite these silly questions, it takes physical fitness to keep going, persevere, and support the platoon.  Its more
than just 30 push-ups, countless sit-ups, and running 7 laps.

If you guys make it into BMQ, I can't wait to hear your impressions.

Greetings everyone,

I applied in May 2013 and have made contact once. Still waiting for dates for the application process to continue. So i'm utilizing this time to better my fitness standards. I thought i'd start this post to get some feedback on what everyone else is doing in preparation for BMQ. Other than the obvious; eat well and go to the gym. I mean specific workout regimes, even nutrition changes that have made a noticable difference. I feel pretty good with most aspects but I need to better my stamina, so i'm trying to build up my running and pushups.

Thanks for any input and good luck with each of your application processes (and, if you're anything like me, good luck with being patient)

Regards,
V. Kutrowski

Amazon said:
I thought i'd start this post to get some feedback on what everyone else is doing in preparation for BMQ.

"Physical Fitness Guide for Applicants to the Canadian Forces
SELF-PREPARATION FOR THE BASIC TRAINING":
http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/fitnessresv_en.pdf

Thanks Mariomike, i've seen this document many times. I was more so referring to personal experiences that have been successful. I already know what is required of me from the CF and their suggestions for me getting there. I do thank you for your reply, however.

Im trying this pushup increasing technique over the next 3 weeks hoping to see some improvements in my total pushup ability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqHg-aaUQzI

Basically his suggestions is to to "Diamond Pushups" to exhaustion, wait 30 seconds, "Standard Pushups" to exhaustion, wait 30 seconds, and then "Wide Set Pushups" to exhaustion. Do a few sets of those every couple days, increasing the number of sets each day as it gets easier. Not sure I will see results from it but worth a try. I think this was probably along the lines of what you are looking for.

I havent done the BMQ yet but I know that you should increase your push ups, chin ups and running.
My recruiter told me to be able to run 7k in less than an hour, do at least 17 chin ups and alot of push ups.
I heard that in your BMQ you will eat arround 2000 cal / day but yet again, I havent done mine yet so this is just information I got from someone who did it.

Just to dispell some myths
The most push ups they can make you do at a time for punishment is 25, not too say they won't give you multiple sets of 25. It's not always punishment, you're there to get fit.
You will do hardly any chin ups. I think I did 4-5 sets in total, after runs. There is no test. There is a grip test.
7km in an hour is extremely slow, you will be at the back. I'm not sure where that will put you on the beep test. Better to be safe than sorry.
You will eat more than 2000 calories a day. You will eat three meals a day buffet style. Avoid dessert, you're there to get fit.

JoPelle said:
I havent done the BMQ yet but I know that you should increase your push ups, chin ups and running.
My recruiter told me to be able to run 7k in less than an hour, do at least 17 chin ups and alot of push ups.
I heard that in your BMQ you will eat arround 2000 cal / day but yet again, I havent done mine yet so this is just information I got from someone who did it.

7km in a hour is pretty slow.  Are you sure you have that right?  I don't know I'm still merit listed myself.  A full marathon is 26 miles and 4 hours long, therefore 6.5 miles per hour is marathon pace.  7km equals 4.35 miles per hour it's hardly a jog.  You do chin ups I'm told also but they do not count towards a passing grade in BMQ.

- You need to do 19 proper pushups, 17 in a older age bracket
- 19 proper situps, 17 in older age bracket
- Achieve standard for your age group on the shuttle run.

2000 calories a day is what I see tossed around on the internet a lot.  That is way off from the truth to sustain a person.  Some are less some are more depending on size and activity level.  I never count my calories I eat, considering my weight.  225 pounds and the fact that I just did nearly 6 hours of mountain biking on the weekend went for a run yesterday and likely to hit the gym later today.  I'm probably in the area of 3000 calories to sustain my current body weight.  I would loose 2 pounds a week at 2000 calories/day.

BMQ standards can be found on the forces.ca website.

A couple of exercise tips

- Your heart does not care what exercise you are doing.  It cares only for how hard, how fast and how long it beats.
- When running find a good sustainable pace.  You should be running fast enough to work up a good sweat, but not so fast you struggle to breath or finish running early from exhaustion/weakness.  Breathing can be hard but not out of breath.

- Recognize faster running comes with experience and the tone of your body.  A good distance can be achieve fairly quickly. But running long distances at fast speed takes time and lots of practice.  If you can only run 10 minutes, then do so.  Cool down, stretch and do some other exercises, when you recuperate try for 12 minutes, then 13 minutes, then 15 minutes work your way up to at least half hour sustained.  Once you hit the 30 minute mark, figure out the direction you wish to go from there, is it faster? is it longer? Slowly although continuously increase and push yourself as your body becomes stronger.

When it comes to weights, pushups and situps I like once a day.  If you can only do 10 pushups in the morning, next morning do ten again and try to squeeze out 11, when 11 is achieved try to squeeze out 12.

Hope it helps

kevincanada said:
7km in a hour is pretty slow.  Are you sure you have that right?  I don't know I'm still merit listed myself.  A full marathon is 26 miles and 4 hours long, therefore 6.5 miles per hour is marathon pace.  7km equals 4.35 miles per hour it's hardly a jog.  You do chin ups I'm told also but they do not count towards a passing grade in BMQ.

- You need to do 19 proper pushups, 17 in a older age bracket
- 19 proper situps, 17 in older age bracket
- Achieve standard for your age group on the shuttle run.

2000 calories a day is what I see tossed around on the internet a lot.  That is way off from the truth to sustain a person.  Some are less some are more depending on size and activity level.  I never count my calories I eat, considering my weight.  225 pounds and the fact that I just did nearly 6 hours of mountain biking on the weekend went for a run yesterday and likely to hit the gym later today.  I'm probably in the area of 3000 calories to sustain my current body weight.  I would loose 2 pounds a week at 2000 calories/day.

BMQ standards can be found on the forces.ca website.

A couple of exercise tips

- Your heart does not care what exercise you are doing.  It cares only for how hard, how fast and how long it beats.
- When running find a good sustainable pace.  You should be running fast enough to work up a good sweat, but not so fast you struggle to breath or finish running early from exhaustion/weakness.  Breathing can be hard but not out of breath.

- Recognize faster running comes with experience and the tone of your body.  A good distance can be achieve fairly quickly. But running long distances at fast speed takes time and lots of practice.  If you can only run 10 minutes, then do so.  Cool down, stretch and do some other exercises, when you recuperate try for 12 minutes, then 13 minutes, then 15 minutes work your way up to at least half hour sustained.  Once you hit the 30 minute mark, figure out the direction you wish to go from there, is it faster? is it longer? Slowly although continuously increase and push yourself as your body becomes stronger.

When it comes to weights, pushups and situps I like once a day.  If you can only do 10 pushups in the morning, next morning do ten again and try to squeeze out 11, when 11 is achieved try to squeeze out 12.

Hope it helps

I was told at my interview that i should be able to do 7k in an hour. I myself think its pretty slow but thats what I got told.
As for chin ups, I dont know why he asked me to be able to complete 17 in one set. Again, thats what I got told.
You cant be overprepared for BMQ, so the more fit you are, the better it is. But yet again, BMQ is mainly to get everyone at a physical standard so dont stress too much.

I don't mean to sound like a d#%k but I hope the people wondering about fitness standards are not applying to any of the combat trades. Am I crazy to think that those looking to join the forces should already have that stuff figured out in their personal life?

RectorCR said:
I don't mean to sound like a d#%k but I hope the people wondering about fitness standards are not applying to any of the combat trades. Am I crazy to think that those looking to join the forces should already have that stuff figured out in their personal life?

Well you failed at not sounding like a d#%k, mostly because you have yet to even be enrolled, or pass any sort of training related to combat trades.

Yes, people should be fit before they join up. Yes, people can always improve their fitness. Why hammer people who are looking for tips to improve their fitness prior to training? That's the self-improvement attitude we want in the CF. Not everyone is naturally able to ruck 25km with 100lbs and be good to go for section attacks immediately after.

I did BMQ quite awhile ago, but I'm sure this info is still relevant

Before heading to BMQ I recommend you be able to at least run 5kms in under 30 mins and be able to at least double the minimum amount of push ups, and sit ups that you are required to do. The more you can do the better.  Also, be able to lift/squat your own weight, do chin ups, etc;  you don't need to be able to do 20 chin ups for BMQ, but being able to do a couple is a good start. 

In your workouts, do various sets of all types of push ups, as well as weight lifting.  When doing weights, work out your whole body, don't just do the bench press.  Work out arms, chest, back, legs, etc.  High Intensity Training and swimming is also good to do.  For runs, mix it up with distance runs and sprints.  Don't forget to work out your back and core.

Lots of info on various exercise programs and military specific workouts available on the internet.  If you aren't in the best of shape, start off slow, don't jump right into a program that is above your current fitness level.

Do not run or work out everyday, have some breaks during the week. Do not over train yourself to the point where you are doing more harm then good and possibly getting yourself injured.

Eat well, and get your 8 hours of sleep.  Poor diet and sleep will have negative effects on your fitness gains and health.  Take care of your body, and hopefully you won't have any issues on course like getting yourself injured, failing a PT test, etc.

Oh and lastly, after BMQ in between courses you will spend time on PAT Platoon. DO NOT slack off during this time, the group PT you do on PAT/PRETC will vary depending on where you go.  So, if you are in a place that doesn't too much organized PT, do it on your own.  Even if you are in a PAT Pl with daily PT, have the occasional work out at night/weekend. Your PT could consist mostly of running, some HIT and a ruck march.  Do some weight training at the base gym, to help with your strength, etc in your off time.

PuckChaser said:
Well you failed at not sounding like a d#%k, mostly because you have yet to even be enrolled, or pass any sort of training related to combat trades.

Yes, people should be fit before they join up. Yes, people can always improve their fitness. Why hammer people who are looking for tips to improve their fitness prior to training? That's the self-improvement attitude we want in the CF. Not everyone is naturally able to ruck 25km with 100lbs and be good to go for section attacks immediately after.

Wow, someone's butthurt. To be honest my comments come from my personal experience with the forces. I have a lot of friends in reserves who are in absolute terrible shape, all of whom are infantrymen. My biggest fear about Reg forces is that it will be filled with kids who played one too many rounds of paint ball and merely want to "play soldier". Am I such a bad guy because I hold myself to high physical standards and expect others to do the same?

RectorCR said:
Wow, someone's butthurt. To be honest my comments come from my personal experience with the forces. I have a lot of friends in reserves who are in absolute terrible shape, all of whom are infantrymen. My biggest fear about Reg forces is that it will be filled with kids who played one too many rounds of paint ball and merely want to "play soldier". Am I such a bad guy because I hold myself to high physical standards and expect others to do the same?

No, you're a "bad guy" because of your general persona. I doubt Sgt with 2 tours to Afghanistan gets offended by anything you say quite as easily as you think. Maybe he was trying to help you from coming off as a douche in the future? Mission failed I guess.

ballz said:
No, you're a "bad guy" because of your general persona. I doubt Sgt with 2 tours to Afghanistan gets offended by anything you say quite as easily as you think. Maybe he was trying to help you from coming off as a douche in the future? Mission failed I guess.

This convo is turning very sour... I'm sorry if I rubbed people off the wrong way. I guess I just have my own personal standards and maybe it's not fair to apply it to everyone. I'm trying to become an Infantry officer and poeple are always telling me to listen to my Sgts., I guess I should do that...

RectorCR said:

Rest assured if you show up at a battalion and call them kids who play too much paintball you'll get a punch in the face.

RectorCR said:

I think the main goal of the BMQ is to bring you to the physical level they need you to be.

RectorCR said:
I don't mean to sound like a d#%k but ...

Little word of advice: if you have to start a sentence with "I don't mean to sound like a d#%k but...", maybe you should rethink what you are about to say. :nod:

Back