• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best Box Lunch and Worse

mudeater said:
Ok who has the best CF Box Lunch. Not hay box, but box. I love Borden's. You get those real subs that you can buy at Petro Canada - Hamish and Enzo. Meaford's is like the sandwiches my grandmother used to make. One slice of meat on stale bread. So let's tell the brass what we want and don't want.

Macaroni - yeah keep it
Jello - toss it
Banana - toss it
Mayo - MORE PLEASE

Ok screw it, just pack it full of sanwiches

Your on crack or I just got a bad batch for 3 days of Cheese Bagels.. I don't like Borden lunch boxes..

yammit said:
I think I've asked this before in a similar thread - but if there are any cooks on here - can you please tell me why we only get one mustard pack and two sandwiches in every box lunch?

Definately a question for philosphers...

"What say you to a piece of beef and mustard?" (William Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew)

Now back to bad box lunches... would the old C-Rats count? 

I still recall getting handed one of those back in 1986 on a winter exercise. 

Cold can of SPAM.
Cold can of beans.
Cold can of bacon coated in lard.
Cant remember what else was in there other than a can opener.

Horrible stuff especially when eating 'tactical' without any heating sources when its minus 10 out.  You ever eat cold lard just out of the fridge? Well of course you wouldnt, but thats what eating the bacon and spam was like.  Actually, pretty close to what they still serve in some British mess halls.  No one ate the beans except one fellow who couldnt stand to eat anything else in the box, so everyone gave him their beans (guy nicknamed 'Hammy the Hamster'). He stood there holding eight cans of beans with a big grin on his face.  Had to move him and his kit away from the coleman stove that night (temporarily renamed to 'Windy'). 

Ham and Lima beans....the worst C ration ever. Hot or cold, made no nevermind..just terrible.

(edited to add: boxes were labelled with 1943 date)

Ya'll were starting to make me wonder about this box lunch thingy. The only box lunches in the US Army had green cans in them. One time on a C130, the crew passed out these wax ear plugs to us. We all thought it was chewing gum. The crew must've thought we were a bunch of morons. Man, did those ear plugs taste bad. Once Centurian and GAP mentioned c-rats, I was back on stable ground again. Thanks fellas. ;D

Centurian1985 said:
Cold can of SPAM.
Cold can of beans.
Cold can of bacon coated in lard.

I'll give you the SPAM and beans were awful but you could never get your hands on the pre-cooked bacon because everyone seemed to go for it.

There is something about bacon isnt there? No matter if its hot or cold, its always tasty.  Must be our ancestral hunter genes!

Centurian1985 said:
There is something about bacon isnt there? No matter if its hot or cold, its always tasty.  Must be our ancestral hunter genes!

Everyone sure seemed to hunt down those cans whenever they were brought out

Red 6 said:
Ya'll were starting to make me wonder about this box lunch thingy. The only box lunches in the US Army had green cans in them. One time on a C130, the crew passed out these wax ear plugs to us. We all thought it was chewing gum. The crew must've thought we were a bunch of morons. Man, did those ear plugs taste bad. Once Centurian and GAP mentioned c-rats, I was back on stable ground again. Thanks fellas. ;D

Speaking of mistakes with food, guys from the US you may not have heard of this one... we used to get our IMPs (Individual, Meals, Prepared?) with white solid heat tabs so we could warm them up while we were in the trenches (or wherever).  Being Canada, the heat tabs had to be labelled in both French and English.  And of course, being solid and inside an IMP, it had to be labelled as  a 'non-edible product' so that young poorly educated soldiers wouldnt eat them by mistake.  So the company labelled the heat tabs as 'POISON'.  Unfortunately this is very close to the French word 'POISSON' meaning 'FISH'.  So apparently some of our poor French-Canadian soldiers got sick eating the white heat tabs back in 1987 thinking that the white tabs were pieces of fish.

Now I first heard this tale back in 1989 - any word on whether this is story was true or just fiction? 

The best box lunch ive every had contained a BLT wrap and a pizza sub. mmm. too bad we never got it ever again  :(

i eat box lunches 3-4 times a week...doesnt matter what they are....it just sucks now !!

In Trg Sup Tp in Chilliwack in the 80s, we did a lot of field time as En Force for CFOCS.  Our box lunches came from the CFOCS mess hall, and let me tell you, they kicked the crap out of anything we ever got from the men's mess.  Plus, Officer (raisin) Bread for breakfast toast.....yummers!

Centurian,

I first heard the story of someone eating heat tablets back in the sixties. In this version, the eater was an officer cadet from a French-speaking African country who mistook the tablet for fish.

We may have a military version of an urban legend, or a case of mass-mispelling. I suspect the former, but who knows?

I lost track of how many times I heard the infamous eating of fuel tabs stories, always  second or third  hand accounts. I long since wrote it off as an urban legend, but then you never know.             

Funny ,I heard it was a young Seaforth Pte in the late 70's ,early 80's.Skinny kid who drew a lot of cartoons! :warstory: Then grew up to be a Sgt/Major

Yeah but he was ordered to by his big mean M/Cpl.

You still jealous you didn't get to do SLC in Aldershot with Ian and I after I caught up to you in rank.  8)

BTW that cartoon thing lead to the best gig I ever had in uniform, official RV85 cartoonist for the Maple Leaf, 25 year old Sgt, living in shacks, 9-5 M-F work schedule, drawing FOA, and my own vehicle and driver. That beat ATC in the boonies  ;D

Red 6 said:
Ya'll have a different mess hall for officers?

Most bases nowadays have an all-ranks dining hall that anyone can eat at, but in a lot of cases the SNCO and Officers' drinking messes are co-located with quarters and a dining facility.  If you're living in, you eat, sleep, and drink your beer all in the same building.

Back