• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best accidental headline ever (Les Retards D'Ottawa).

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanNewman

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
In French, retard = late/delay (as in the proper meaning in English of "retarded" to mean slowed development).

Couldn't help but notice the headline below and get a bit of a giggle.  On quick glance it seems like "The retards of Ottawa".

Pick your unit to send this to.  NDHQ?  DLR?

http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/National/2010/04/13/005-Acces-information-rapport.shtml
Les retards d'Ottawa
Mise à jour le mercredi 14 avril 2010 à 15 h 37
Commenter (1) »Partager
Imprimer

La commissaire à l'information du Canada par intérim, Suzanne Legault
Les réponses aux demandes d'accès à l'information souffrent d'importants retards. C'est ce qu'a indiqué la commissaire à l'information du Canada par intérim lors de la présentation, mardi, d'un rapport intitulé Hors délais.

« Bien que le respect des délais constitue la pierre angulaire de la Loi, les retards en demeurent le talon d'Achille », a déclaré Suzanne Legault.

Selon les conclusions du rapport déposé au Parlement, « peu de progrès ont été accomplis pour remédier aux retards dans l'ensemble du système ».

La commissaire a confirmé « la persistance et les effets négatifs de problèmes systémiques, telle la prorogation inappropriée des délais ».

Mme Legault a détecté un nouvel obstacle important à un accès rapide à l'information : « les délégations de pouvoir inadéquates ou mal appliquées pour les décisions relatives à l'accès à l'information au sein des institutions ».

Le Conseil privé, qui reçoit les demandes d'accès à l'information visant le premier ministre, refuse de répondre à une demande sur cinq et lorsqu'il répond. Le Conseil privé a un temps moyen cinq fois plus long que celui prévu par la loi.

Pour les autres institutions évaluées, le ministère des Affaires étrangères se distingue par de mauvais résultats. Le rapport lui donne le classement zéro. En revanche, le ministère de la Justice et le ministère de la Citoyenneté et de l'Immigration obtiennent la note A.

Environnement Canada et Patrimoine canadien obtiennent la note F, tandis que le ministère de la Défense nationale se classe dans la moyenne avec la note D.

Suzanne Legault souligne toutefois que les retards s'accumulent et empirent depuis 2002. Le gouvernement conservateur n'est donc pas plus à blâmer que son prédécesseur libéral, précise-t-elle.

The truth is boring (from Google Translate).  I prefer "The Retards of Ottawa".

Responses to requests for access to information suffer significant delays. This was stated by the Information Commissioner of Canada by acting at the presentation Tuesday of a report entitled Out of time.

"Although timeliness is the cornerstone of the Act, the delays remain the Achilles heel," said Suzanne Legault.

According to the findings of the report tabled in Parliament, "little progress has been made to address the delays in the whole system.

The Commissioner confirmed "the persistence and adverse effects of systemic problems, such as the improper extension of time".

Ms. Legault has detected another significant barrier to timely access to information, "the delegation of authority to inadequate or poorly implemented decisions on access to information within the institutions."

The Privy Council, which receives requests for access to information for the prime minister, refused to answer one in five meets and when. The Privy Council has an average time five times longer than that provided by law.

For other institutions evaluated, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is characterized by poor results. The report gives the rank zero. However, the Department of Justice and the Department of Citizenship and Immigration obtain a grade of A.

Environment Canada and Canadian Heritage receive a grade of F, while the Department of National Defence in the middle class with the grade of D.

Suzanne Legault said however that delays continue and worsen since 2002. The Conservative government is not more to blame than his Liberal predecessor, she says.

"(as in the proper meaning in English of "retarded" to mean slowed development)"

So first you're insulting the French language by saying that the English meaning of the word is "proper", and thus implying that the French one is improper.

Secondly, you're admitting to being a childish git for "giggling" at a headline that uses the word "retard."

Lastly, you're furthering the use of a derogatory term for mentally disabled persons and encouraging members of Army.CA to follow your fine example.

1. Yes.  Although I do speak French as well at a B level, the official language of the Internet, world commerce, and NATO is English so that is enough for me.

2. Yes, maintenance of morale is a principal of war.  There is a time to be serious and a time to have fun.  Usually when I'm on my couch I take things a bit less seriously.

3.  I didn't say anything about making fun of disabled people, I said that it made fun of people in Ottawa as having slow mental development.

If you can honestly say that at no point in your life you have ever said "This is retarded..." about anything then you are a special person.

Junius said:
"(as in the proper meaning in English of "retarded" to mean slowed development)"

So first you're insulting the French language by saying that the English meaning of the word is "proper", and thus implying that the French one is improper.

Secondly, you're admitting to being a childish git for "giggling" at a headline that uses the word "retard."

Lastly, you're furthering the use of a derogatory term for mentally disabled persons and encouraging members of Army.CA to follow your fine example.

Methinks you are taking this the wrong way.

Are you just trying to stir a pot because you can?

I find NOTHING offensive about this whatsoever.

What's derogatory about the word retarded? Fact is that some people are mentally retarded, just like some people are bald. Is it rude to say he's 'bald'? Or do we have to refer to him as 'folically' challenged  ::) .

Similar to "is he deaf or hearing impaired?" So does that make a road sign down the street (to warn drivers)which says 'deaf child' offensive ?

Lighten up dude......

OWDU

Some people just dont have a sense of humour .  I actualy got a good chuckle out of the headline .

Junius said:

Are you serious? First, he never said anything negative about French. He specifically said that the proper meaning in ENGLISH...

Meh, thanks for the assists guys but I think he just didn't get it.

When I wrote "proper" for English, it was just to mean slow/delayed (which is the same as it is in French), in contrast to the improper English usage to mean the stereotypical Down's Syndrome, Fetal Alcholol Syndrome, etc person.

Maybe if you get offended that easily the military isn't right for you.  You absolutely have the right not to be discriminated against, but wow.

I watched a show the other night called "Monster Rain" by a comedian named Jim Norton, who had this to say, "People love being offended and feeling self-righteous indignation."  ;D

Junius said:

Wow. Mountains out of molehills, dude. I've heard you use the term 'retarded' to refer to something that's stupid or doesn't make sense on plenty of occasions.

Speaking for myself, I found it funny. Not falling out of my chair funny, but I grinned briefly, and then moved on to the next topic.

Brihard said:
...Mountains out of molehills, dude...

Speaking for myself, I found it funny. Not falling out of my chair funny, but I grinned briefly, and then moved on to the next topic.

+1

It definitely put a smile on my face... especially in light of whats happening at my unit thanks to 2 ASG... 

Right about now any Morale boost is good.

Junius said:

And this folks is the product of our overly-PC world.  However, he probably got Top Candidate on the SHARP and Diversity courses.  ::)

May be it is just me, but I found Junius taking offence to the original post even funnier than the head line...... but then again it took me three tries to pass my SHARP course.......... guess I'm  slowed developmentally  ;D

Petamocto said:
1. Yes.  Although I do speak French as well at a B level, the official language of the Internet, world commerce, and NATO is English so that is enough for me.

2. Yes, maintenance of morale is a principal of war.  There is a time to be serious and a time to have fun.  Usually when I'm on my couch I take things a bit less seriously.

3.  I didn't say anything about making fun of disabled people, I said that it made fun of people in Ottawa as having slow mental development.

If you can honestly say that at no point in your life you have ever said "This is retarded..." about anything then you are a special person.

1. There is no official language of the internet, there is no official language of "world commerce", and NATO has two official lanauges: French and English (http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/faq.htm#A10). Also, French is an official language of Canada. So, is that "still enough" for you to deem it improper and inferior? I don't even speak French but your logic is ridiculous.

2. So you're actively engaged in a war right now? Hope you're maintaining light discipline because you're certainly not maintaining noise discipline.

3. You defeated your statement in your own sentence. By saying that you're making fun of people in Ottawa for having slow mental development, your missing premise is that having slow mental development is a laughing matter. Ergo, you're making fun of disabled people.

The fact that he put it on the front page of a website that likes to take itself very seriously is what made it offensive. And yes, I "got it" alright. But sorry if I'm not 10 years old anymore and don't find humor at the simultaneous expense of the French and mentally disabled persons. Oh, and I guess NDHQ.

Junius said:
The fact that he put it on the front page of a website that likes to take itself very seriously is what made it offensive. And yes, I "got it" alright. But sorry if I'm not 10 years old anymore and don't find humor at the simultaneous expense of the French and mentally disabled persons. Oh, and I guess NDHQ.

No you don't get it.

You are still suggesting that I was making fun of the French language, which is completely wrong.

Junius said:
1. There is no official language of the internet, there is no official language of "world commerce", and NATO has two official lanauges: French and English (http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/faq.htm#A10). Also, French is an official language of Canada. So, is that "still enough" for you to deem it improper and inferior? I don't even speak French but your logic is ridiculous.

2. So you're actively engaged in a war right now? Hope you're maintaining light discipline because you're certainly not maintaining noise discipline.

3. You defeated your statement in your own sentence. By saying that you're making fun of people in Ottawa for having slow mental development, your missing premise is that having slow mental development is a laughing matter. Ergo, you're making fun of disabled people.

1.  The fact that you don't understand proper grammar and its meaning is what makes your login moot.
Proper: –adjective; adapted or appropriate to the purpose or circumstances; fit; suitable: the proper time to plant strawberries.

2.  ...says the pot to the kettle.

3.  The fact that you are trying to sound all smart like by using "ergo" in your statement while still not being able to understand Petamocto's use of the word "proper" is completely laughable!

Petamocto & Junius, take a chill pill.

Thanks for coming out folks. This isn't going to go anywhere productive, ergo, this thread is locked.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back