• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bergen or not to Bergen..

daftandbarmy said:
Bergen = Wot a Para loads wiff stacks of ammo and other nasties then tabs off to severely slot bad guys - innit?

Rucksack = Wot 'hats' use to hold their purses and stuffies whilst traipsing through daisy strewn fields to be home in time for tea wiff mum

Nuff said. Beret, smock, Joe Baxi!

;D

I thought you spoke English..... ;D

Just won my bergen now. Pretty excited to see it.

Any tips on the old bugger?

Regards,
TN

Jungle said:
Yes, I find they tend to over complicate things...

I used one for a while, and I found the shoulder straps were loosening and had to be constantly tightened while on the move.

Really? I find the opposite to be true. Look at the new issue rucksack.

Jungle said:
I used one for a while, and I found the shoulder straps were loosening and had to be constantly tightened while on the move.

I have that problem with my CP Gear GEN III, I think it is because the nylon weave on the straps is too tight which makes for a slippery surface the buckle cannot hold on to (especially with heavy loads), I switching to the lower strap of the 82 Ruck which has a coase weave but uses the same buckle as the GEN III.  I have never had a 82 Pattern slip.

Towards_the_gap said:
Really? I find the opposite to be true. Look at the new issue rucksack.

Yeah, you're probably right; my experience with it is 5 years old. I now bought a 65-li Osprey, for my hiking and light camping needs.

TN said:
I thought you spoke English..... ;D

Ahem, that's 'British', me old fruit. It's all part of putting the GREAT back into BRITAIN! :salute: (we need a 'palm out' one of these by the way)

daftandbarmy said:
Bergen = Wot a Para loads wiff stacks of ammo and other nasties then tabs off to severely slot bad guys - innit?
;D

Got it now. Love it. Now where's my Joe Baxi... :D

Cheers,
TN

Good for you, enjoy.  Your opinion after you use it for bit would be interesting as well.

daftandbarmy said:
On yer bike, mate.  ;D

Let me know if you can do up the waist strap.

I"ll be replacing the waist straps plus adding a sternum strap. I got a nice sewing machine to help. =D

One thing I didn't like about the bergen was the quick-release buckles on the shoulder straps, I found they'd often release if I wanted to loosen off the straps.

Really? I had an S95 bergen a couple years back that had these crappy buckles on the shoulder straps that slipped together and always popped apart when I tried to loosen off the straps...

Maybe it was just mine.

Mine doesn't have the quick release either. All I know it's a long back design, surplus. =D

Towards_the_gap said:
There are no quick release straps on the bergen...

That's because, in the British Army, you're not supposed to throw it away or the QM will crucify you  ;D

I've been carrying the bergen for two years. Pics attached.

No quick release.

Has waist belt and sternum strap.

Pros:
It scales to whatever size you need. Seriously. From going light to play opfor for a fair weather weekend, to going heavy for winter indoc, to middle term (long term for PRes? One month). It just gets taller and taller, no matter what you need to stuff into it.
The rain covers aren't a real necessity (my stuff is all in dry bags), but they sure come in handy to cover it when possible.

Cons:
It has no adjustment between the top of the pack and the shoulders, so you have no way to bring it closer to your body. I find that super anoying. It causes my traps to eventually go to sleep, and I don't feel a thing after 5km.

The 'Pusser's Chacon' in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJDINSd-vk

Of course the Royal Marines have to call it something different  ::)

Back