• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bergen or not to Bergen..

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
To Buy a Bergen or not. I'm not entitle to the new CADPAT rucksack, so would the Bergen be fine? I also want a ruck that won't draw attention. So may be a black Bergen, is in my sights.

What is the size of the CADPAT new rucksack? The Bergen is 100 liters.

If anyone has an older Bergen that they are willing to depart, please PM me.  ;D

Regards,
TN

The new is 90 liters without the pouches, with pouches 100 litres, with pouches and air matress on the side it is equal to 120 litres.  You can buy the new ruck complete as issued from a company in Canada  for 275 bucks.  Surplus Rouge is one company but there are two better companies whose names aI cannot remember.  Yes, these are issue rucks from the same manufacturer and yes they are legal to buy.

These guys sell one they claim to be a copy

http://www.armyissue.com/store/index.php/bags-and-packs/cf-style-large-pack-cadpat.html

Just because I'm not entitled to the new ruck doesn't mean I'm buying it. Hahaha.. But thank you very much for the link. It's the base I work at, that dare not have anything Army-ish. Hints why I want to be posted. But back to the Bergen.. what is the general thought from the crowd? Any folks former UK troops on here?

If really want a Bergen, get either the new 2011 issue (Multicam with Molle webbing all over it) or the WEBTEX Ultimate Berden (140 Liters mobile home on a internal pack frame).  Dragonfly UK also makes interesting Bergen in various cam patterns, it is well made and not cheap.  There is a guy in Manitoba who makes and sells Bergens in CADPAT (120 Litre style).  He sells on ebay.

I spent several years in the British Army and carried three different versions of the Bergen for probably thousands of kms on foot, ski, jumping etc.

It is not what you want unless you are also wearing webbing that approximates the British 58 pattern or PLCE pattern.

No waist belt was attached as it was intended to rest on top of the kidney pouches and bum roll on the back of the harness so, if not accompanied by the proper web kit, you wind up carrying a 70-80 lb 'day sack' with no weight distribution to your legs and lower back  ie. it can be torture and throw you off balance.

I'd recommend something from MEC in the right colour. Cheap, durable, and a great return policy if required.

The bergen is pretty much the grand daddy to most modern internal packs (or atleast the ground breaker), two aluminum stays and basic harness. If you can swing it, I'd recommend going with something from Mystery Ranch or Kifaru, much more comfortable, plus they're usually MOLLE exterior for adding pouches (the MR packs also have the adjustable yoke).

I've got a Tasmanian Tiger Field Pack.  It's pretty much the same design as the Brit bergen, but modernized (waist belt, etc).  Comfy and well built,  it has taken over from 20 year old Serratus for camping trips and a trip to theatre.

Kind of going for the "old school" Falklands look. =D

TN said:
Kind of going for the "old school" Falklands look. =D

Really? I suppose you'll also be seeking a good chiropractor as well, just like a bunch of Falklands vets I know (and me)  because of this thing ;D

Be honest with you daftandbarmy, I really like the British gear. I got a lot of DPM stuff kicking around the house. And scored a lot of it while overseas. I prefer to work with a Brit, than a Yank anyday. It must be in my blood with my last name. (PM me if you care to know) ;D

I've always look up to the British Army. Even thought of transferring/joining them, once or twice. I'm always seeking a challenge, you could say. Too bad 9Der would be a little upset if I jump the pond.

I got a DPM British 120L Bergen Back Pack "long back w/ yoke" on order via eBay now. Just waiting now.

Best Regards,
TN

TN said:
          Be honest with you daftandbarmy, I really like the British gear. I got a lot of DPM stuff kicking around the house. And scored a lot of it while overseas. I prefer to work with a Brit, than a Yank anyday. It must be in my blood with my last name. (PM me if you care to know) ;D

I've always look up to the British Army. Even thought of transferring/joining them, once or twice. I'm always seeking a challenge, you could say. Too bad 9Der would be a little upset if I jump the pond.

I got a DPM British 120L Bergen Back Pack "long back w/ yoke" on order via eBay now. Just waiting now.

Best Regards,
TN

I've heard about people like you. I think they call them 'craaaaazzzzeeeee'! :nod:

Anyways, if you get the PLCE Bergen (as I have as well) you should wear the web gear it was designed to match with:

If you just want a bag without a frame, why not just get this for $50.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104743.0.html

I generally thought British gear was junk.

As for rucks.  Kifaru.  'nuff said.

Infanteer said:

Yes, I find they tend to over complicate things...

Infanteer said:

I used one for a while, and I found the shoulder straps were loosening and had to be constantly tightened while on the move.

Infanteer said:

I figure I would try it before I knock it. As for Kifaru, they seem to be a great company. Some day when I get "better funding" I'll invest in one.

Regards,
TN

I've had both Kifaru and Mystery Ranch packs, and I'll stick to my MR kit. If you can get a NICE frame, the world is just so much easier ;)

Just a quick question, what distinguishes a bergen from a rucksack or an expedition pack? Is it the fact that it is designed to sit above a soldier's webbing or is it just a British term for a pack in the 100L range? I haven't been able to scrounge many other clues from google, so forgive my ignorance if I'm completely missing the point here.

jparkin said:
Just a quick question, what distinguishes a bergen from a rucksack or an expedition pack? Is it the fact that it is designed to sit above a soldier's webbing or is it just a British term for a pack in the 100L range? I haven't been able to scrounge many other clues from google, so forgive my ignorance if I'm completely missing the point here.

Bergen = Wot a Para loads wiff stacks of ammo and other nasties then tabs off to severely slot bad guys - innit?

Rucksack = Wot 'hats' use to hold their purses and stuffies whilst traipsing through daisy strewn fields to be home in time for tea wiff mum

Nuff said. Beret, smock, Joe Baxi!

;D

Back