• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

beret without cap badge

Status
Not open for further replies.
X Royal said:
As this is a reserve course I'd like to know what authority the staff has to assign homework?
When off duty (& not being paid or on DND property or in uniform) you are not subject to the NDA.
You have no obligation to work for free.
Are the staff willing to authorize paid time for this research. I doubt it.

No, I disagree.  The requirement to be prepared for a duty isn't a duty unto itself - and being prescribed homework is being told hold to be prepared for the upcoming classes.  I base this on the Reserve requirements to complete OPMEs and AJOSQ - they don't get paid to do it, yet they are most certainly expected to.

You're certainly correct in the limitations of disciplinary action against them if they haven't finished their homework.  Administrative actions, however...

Shamrock said:
No, I disagree.  The requirement to be prepared for a duty isn't a duty unto itself - and being prescribed homework is being told hold to be prepared for the upcoming classes.  I base this on the Reserve requirements to complete OPMEs and AJOSQ - they don't get paid to do it, yet they are most certainly expected to.

You're certainly correct in the limitations of disciplinary action against them if they haven't finished their homework.  Administrative actions, however...
And what PO on the recruit course does researching "beret without cap badge" fulfill?
I've taught many & never issued homework as in research. Yes have uniform ready & haircut ect but not research on military law/rules and regulations.
What they needed to know on the course we taught. All evaluated PO's where based on the lessons taught.
Studying for tests was also expected.

So, ordering a review of provided material is acceptable for Reserivsts during off-duty hours provided it does not require any further work.  I see no issue in this revision being in a prescribed format -a study booklet - with mandatory completion.

For example:

Unacceptable: Find the regulation that states a soldier must wear a cap badge and under what conditions.  Which sections of the NDA do non-compliance violate?

Acceptable: As covered in EO 102.04, must a soldier wear a cap badge?  As covered in EO 102.01, what powers are available to his commanders should the soldier not comply?

Shamrock said:
So, ordering a review of provided material is acceptable for Reserivsts during off-duty hours provided it does not require any further work.  I see no issue in this revision being in a prescribed format -a study booklet - with mandatory completion.

For example:

Unacceptable: Find the regulation that states a soldier must wear a cap badge and under what conditions.  Which sections of the NDA do non-compliance violate?

acceptable: As covered in EO 102.04, must a soldier wear a cap badge?  As covered in EO 102.01, what powers are available to his commanders should the soldier not comply?

This is a Reserve BMQ.

What you are suggesting, for basic recruits, falls under the heading of COCK.

recceguy said:
This is a Reserve BMQ.

What you are suggesting, for basic recruits, falls under the heading of ****.

While most reserve BMQ candidates are students, and giving extra curricular assignments to look up and find obscure knowlege may seem ok, since they only have school outside of it. Giving candidates "Homework" to be done on their own time, is a bit much. Many are older, and indeed have family and career commitments which fill their lives outside their Friday night to Sunday afternoon BMQ.

Having said that......I recall being given an "assignment" having to write out the Rank Structure ( PTE - General) 100 times because some numpty kept calling the course WO ( a Sgt), a "Master Seargent".....but it did achieve the desired results, and happened to fall in line with remedial training on the PO for Rank structure........

recceguy said:
This is a Reserve BMQ.

What you are suggesting, for basic recruits, falls under the heading of ****.

Oh, do get over yourself.  A study guide is not that onerous.

Picking up on Bluebulldog's comment...

As a Basic Recruit, on a Reserve BMQ, we were given homework. To study up on our Regiment, its traditions, etc.

When I was the Crse O on the BMQ a year later (we were short pers for a newly minted 2Lt to be doing it, but I had an awesome WO, so Standards approved), I assigned the same homework.

We did have the whole week to do the homework, after all.

Shamrock said:
Oh, do get over yourself.  A study guide is not that onerous.

Onerous or not has nothing to do with it. I've ran more courses that you've been on sunshine. I know when candidates are being screwed around.

The OP has asked to lock the thread, as He's satisfied with the answer(s).

Locked.

dileas

tess

milnet.ca staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back