• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bemoaning The Lack of Sports in The CF? [merged thread]

TCM621

Subscriber
Reaction score
Journeyman said:
I barely know where to start......  ::)  ....but I'll limit myself to two points:

1.  "...a political Agenda"...especially with the upper-case 'Agenda,' sounds so conspiratorial.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:  :panic:

Yes, the agenda is a post-war scaling back of military spending.  It happens in pretty much every country after every war -- including the post-Cold War 'decade of darkness.'  Democratic governments are responsible to the people -- people who generally don't want higher taxes and can't be convinced to buy "War Bonds" to pay for combat equipment when they perceive no justifiable threat, and see greater utility in paying down debt or adjusting spending towards social benefits and infrastructure.  I'm not weighing in here on where Defence monies should be spent, just that cuts are inevitable.

2.  And as for my old hobby-horse of "opinions versus informed opinions," where people in various threads here are pointing out the difficulties of sustaining essential family requirements and maintaining critical combat capabilities -- hell, getting boots and mukluks -- you're going to whine about losing a CISM sport?! 

Big-picture thinking at its finest.    :facepalm:

There's always as silver-lining -- always.  Reducing CISM sports frees up more time for people to read, understand, and hopefully inform their thinking.
  :nod:

We can't afford training but the CF will still send a dozen hockey teams on TD to Borden for Nationals. I am all for CF sports in general but if cuts are to be made there is a good place to start.

Tcm621 said:
I am all for CF sports in general but if cuts are to be made there is a good place to start.
......but only after HQs, as noted here.

And I'm referring to supporting some sports; in descending order:

1. Rugby
2. The others
  ;)

Tcm621 said:
We can't afford training but the CF will still send a dozen hockey teams on TD to Borden for Nationals. I am all for CF sports in general but if cuts are to be made there is a good place to start.

Hockey is the last sport that should be cut. We're Canadians. Canadians play hockey. Old Timer's hockey is gone, but yet we still have squash and badminton nationals? Come on now. There should be 2 winter national sports, and 2 summer national sports.

PS: A dozen hockey teams is 3 separate events: Men's, Women's and OT's. Thats an awful lot of individuals keeping fit, which is what the CF sports program is all about, right?

PuckChaser said:
Hockey is the last sport that should be cut. We're Canadians. Canadians play hockey. Old Timer's hockey is gone, but yet we still have squash and badminton nationals?

By eliminating badminton and squash the RCAF will complain they have no sports to play...... >:D ;)

There's still Poker.

And don't forget, they gave us crud.

PuckChaser said:
Hockey is the last sport that should be cut. We're Canadians. Canadians play hockey. Old Timer's hockey is gone, but yet we still have squash and badminton nationals? Come on now. There should be 2 winter national sports, and 2 summer national sports.

PS: A dozen hockey teams is 3 separate events: Men's, Women's and OT's. Thats an awful lot of individuals keeping fit, which is what the CF sports program is all about, right?
Puckchaser jumps to defend hockey? Fitting. It was an example. The same can be said for softball and soccer. I am all for a robust sports program but we have cut benefits and training. Yet the CF keep spends tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in travel, TD and wages on nationals.

The point is not that hockey or any sport should be cut. It is that the CF, Treasury and the Government could find ways to pay for the things that they need to spend to improve QoL.

Tcm621 said:
........ It is that the CF, Treasury and the Government could find ways to pay for the things that they need to spend to improve QoL.

Interesting.

I always thought that Sports were part of that QoL that one would be entitled to.

George Wallace said:
Interesting.

I always thought that Sports were part of that QoL that one would be entitled to.

Sports yes. Sending a few dozen people to Nationals? Not really. There are other benefits to be had from a national competitive sports program and I understand and support them. But how can the CF say" sorry Mcpl Bloggins the CF is facing cutbacks so we can't send you on that career course right now. Or afford the TD for that exercise that would really benefit your team." Then turn around and spend that money on recreation that affects a very small group of people?

Tcm621 said:
Sports yes. Sending a few dozen people to Nationals? Not really. There are other benefits to be had from a national competitive sports program and I understand and support them. But how can the CF say" sorry Mcpl Bloggins the CF is facing cutbacks so we can't send you on that career course right now. Or afford the TD for that exercise that would really benefit your team." Then turn around and spend that money on recreation that affects a very small group of people?

Different budgets

Yes and no.  In the end, the CAF is given X amount of money and then money is subdivided.  At the end of the day, same giant pot of money.  The gov. doesn't give extra money for sports on top of the regular DND allocated money.

Tcm621 said:

Probably not an argument meant for this thread.

Now, if you'd said, "We can't change/increas PLD because we're spending it on CF sports programs," then your post would belong here. (One QOL issue vs another QOL issue)

Otherwise things are going to go on a tangent pretty fast and I'm pretty sure there's already another thread out there about sports vs training budgets.

Units should be forced to finance their teams out of the canteen fund. Want to play in the Nationals? Sure thing, you pay for it.

I've heard of amateur roller derby teams that use donations to attend international championships ;)

Why should the CAF be different?

recceguy said:
Why should the CAF be different?

Pretty sure trolling, but:

The CF demands physically fit individuals, and what better way to encourage that then with competitive sports...

PuckChaser said:
Pretty sure trolling, but:

The CF demands physically fit individuals, and what better way to encourage that then with competitive sports...

The Regional and National sports programs are for the elite CF athletes. A noon hour league player will never get near the Nationals unless he/she is tasked to work at a Regional/National event. Meanwhile, some of the elite athletes get special treatment at the expense of their sub unit.....and believe me they do receive special treatment.

In my mind, this is not the intent of the sports program - to field teams that compete nationally. The intent should be to promote fitness and teamwork.

The CF has national sports  ???  Wasn't evident in Edmonton, except for maybe hockey, but as far as I saw, that was just base regulated between the various trades.

stealthylizard said:
The CF has national sports  ??? 
https://www.cfmws.com/en/aboutus/psp/cfsports/national/pages/default.aspx

Back