• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being an RCMP Auxiliary Constable while in CAF (merged)

Hi was wondering if anyone here did rcmp auxiliary. I talk to an officer on the phone and after he ask me what i thought it was i said auxiliary is the eyes and ears for the rcmp, it's volunteer, minimun 160 hours a year, he said i was bang on. So i did look on there website and did talk to someone but can someone who's done it tell me more. What is it like from your experience and did you like it.

Youll ride an assist a member with regular duties. It can be as involved as you want- so long as you listen and learn. Some aux's find themselves sitting in the office and people dont want to take them out.

If theres a murder you may assist in canvassing the neighborhood. If your trustworthy- if youre a town gossip youll be overlooked. Its happened before.

You'll assist at traffic stops, assist members on patrol, scene security, attend bar fights, domestics blah blah blah.

As long as you are a contributing member of the team youll be involved in quite a bit. You may also do school talks, and man a recruiting both at a tradefair.

Auxiliary Policing Program

Auxiliary Policing is a way for community members to become actively involved in policing. The program recruits volunteers to work in their own communities in concert with regular RCMP members. Auxiliary Constables (A/Csts) undertake specific training and commit to at least 160 hours of voluntary service each year. There are approximately 100 Auxiliary Constables in Saskatchewan.

Background

The 'F' Division Auxiliary Policing Program started approximately 20 years ago in the Province of Saskatchewan. It is funded by the Province of Saskatchewan and administered by RCMP, ‘F' Division Community Services. The "F" Division Auxiliary Policing Program is authorized under the provisions of The Police Act, 1990 (Saskatchewan) and is intended to enhance community policing.

What is an Auxiliary Constable?

Auxiliary Constables (A/Csts) are volunteers from the communities we service in Saskatchewan. All volunteers undergo 10 days of orientation training in Regina. They also undertake to continue their training at the Detachment level through on-the-job experience, supervision and through the use of training courses and manuals.

All A/Csts commit to a minimum of 160 hours of voluntary service every year in which they remain in the program. Working alongside regular members of the RCMP, Auxiliaries are appointed Special Constables by the Provincial Minister of Justice. As such, they have the full powers afforded all Peace Officers in the Province in the execution of their duties. This appointment is only for use while accompanied and under the direct supervision of a regular member of the RCMP.

A/Csts are issued the kit and clothing similar to that worn by regular members of the RCMP, without being armed. The addition of 'Auxiliary Constable' patches worn on their uniform sleeves, clearly identifies them as such.

This program provides citizens with an opportunity to voluntarily participate in policing on an organized basis. Upon meeting the qualification standards, the volunteer will be recruited and trained to a level of proficiency which will enable them to provide assistance to on-duty members of the RCMP.

Qualifications

The qualification standards include, but are not restricted to the following:
1.Aged 19 - 60 years of age.2.Be physically fit and pass the P.A.R.E. (Physical Ability Requirement Evaluation) at a minimum time of 4:45 minutes.
3.Receive suitable security clearance.
4.Reside within the boundaries of the Detachment where they apply.
5.Meet any additional requirements as set out by the Unit Commander of the Detachment where they apply or the Division Program Coordinator.

For more information contact:
"F" Division Auxiliary Police Coordinator
(306) 780-7557

Thanks for the replies marshall sl and container. Just an update i did go down to F division to talk to someone. At first no one seem to know where to send me for information. Luckly an officer took time out to come talk to me. Like you said you need to reside within the boundaries of the Detachment where they apply. So basicly i was given a few numbers to call to see if there are any opening. One thing i don't fully understand is i ask for a application forum so i could hopefully get pick to do the 10 day orientation training but he didn't want to give me an application. Told me it was no use because they are not looking for anyone right now. Now lets say a detachment in a small town is taking an auxillery member without that ten days orientation i would be out of luck. Each detachment decides when on there own, it was told to me, if there going to take any auxiliary members. If F division trains all of the auxiliary members do they wait until enough of small detachments asks for auxiliary members then run a course? 

Just a reminder, some capitalization, please. It makes it hard to read your post without it in all places.

Thanks

Good day everybody,

I am wondering if there are any regulations that prohibit Reg Force members to serve as Auxiliary Constables for the RCMP, or if the decision is left up to the individuals chain of command.

Here is a little background into my situation.

I recently got enrolled as a Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Officer after having completed 6 years in the cadet program. My former CO is an RCMP officer and I went on a ride along with her. The experience was amazing, and I wish to have the opportunity to do more with the RCMP. However I still prefer having a career in the forces as apposed to the RCMP due to the opportunities to travel and the leadership.
Thus I did a little research and found out about the RCMP's auxiliary constable program and I am strongly interested in joining after completing my degree (in 4 years).

Thus as I asked above does anybody know if this is possible given what I would be doing in the navy and with the forces in general.

And if so, I would greatly appreciate any insight that members could provide into being an Aux Constable while still being a full time CF members.

All help is greatly appreciated!!

There are already a few threads where this topic has been discussed.  This post, from one of them, sums it up.

mariomike said:
CFAO 19-7 -- CIVIL EMPLOYMENT -MILITARY PERSONNEL

"4.    Unless the approval of NDHQ is obtained, no member on full-time
service shall be employed by or serve as a member or auxiliary member of:

a.  the Royal Canadian Mounted Police;"
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/92807/post-919180.html#msg919180

Four years is a long time. Get the initial shock over with first.

Thank you for the info. I did a search and didn't see anything relevant appear.

I'll check out that thread hopefully it will answer all my questions.

JonathanB said:
Good day everybody,

I am wondering if there are any regulations that prohibit Reg Force members to serve as Auxiliary Constables for the RCMP, or if the decision is left up to the individuals chain of command.

Here is a little background into my situation.

I recently got enrolled as a Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Officer after having completed 6 years in the cadet program. My former CO is an RCMP officer and I went on a ride along with her. The experience was amazing, and I wish to have the opportunity to do more with the RCMP. However I still prefer having a career in the forces as apposed to the RCMP due to the opportunities to travel and the leadership.
Thus I did a little research and found out about the RCMP's auxiliary constable program and I am strongly interested in joining after completing my degree (in 4 years).

Thus as I asked above does anybody know if this is possible given what I would be doing in the navy and with the forces in general.

And if so, I would greatly appreciate any insight that members could provide into being an Aux Constable while still being a full time CF members.

All help is greatly appreciated!!

I see no reason at all that volunteering as an auxiliary can't be compatible with regular force service. Our auxilliries volunteer on a very part time basis, and the force completely gets that they have jobs and other full time pursuits. I can't imagine why a properly articulated request to do so shouldn't be approved once it gets up the chain to NDHQ.

Do your research, be able to clearly explain the (low) demands on auxiliaries and that they aren't subject to any sort of conflicting service demand as they're volunteer only. PResent a solution, not a problem, and hopefully it will work out. The auxiliary program is great, and they do a lot of good work, whether it's being a second member on calls just for a bit of backup, or doing road safety initiatives, or public outreach, or what have you. I highly encourage you to go for it, just do so properly.

Ok thank you for that Brihard!!
I was actually supper disappointed while reading the earlier post, you've given me some hope!
And that you suggesting a potential solution!

mariomike said:
If it doesn't, you can also check these,

rcmp auxiliary 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/108703.0

Auxiliary RCMP member 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/51974.0

Reg Force RCAF member volunteering in the RCMP Auxiliary 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/106699.0

Reg force mbr joining RCMP Auxiliary 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/105868.0
Now merged into one consolidated thread.

Milnet.ca Staff

Back