• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BC Murders / MB Manhunt of Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky

tomahawk6 said:
Bear Clan patrol in Gillam. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bear-clan-patrol-deployed-gillam-manitoba-first-nations-1.5227719

Good on them. BCP does very good work in the Peg.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I didn't mean training on the equipment - which I know they already know how to operate. I meant good training in locating a couple of warm bodies in the middle of the Canadian forested wilderness (and don't tell me Aurora operators are used to this, I wouldn't believe you:eek:rly:) since in the present case, the life of injured/lost people would not be a stake so - less time constraints.

We are used to it and things very similar.  ;D

Looking for "things and people" in wooded areas isn't complicated;  it is something the 140 crews did routinely in theatre during OP IMPACT.  Overland training scenarios, exercises (Ex Common Ground as an example, in Gagetown) are part of routine/periodic training.  I've 'tracked' sentries to their sentry location at night following their "path" on Common Ground. 

But, the real keys are (1) getting a good area to be directed to search, and  (2) the area must be methodically searched;  something that we became very good at (IMO) during IMPACT.  Those of us that did XXX number of missions over there have transferred, at least some, of that knowledge as operators to new Sqn members.  Some of the operators that did IMPACT are also instructors on the MOAT now; transfer of knowledge starts before arriving on Sqn.  The same would be happening in the ACSO seats (I'm assuming). 

DH nailed most of the key stuff for even a very junior operator by just saying "point/optimize".  All that is really left is a good scan plan and scan integrity (followed by "knowing and recognizing what you're looking for and at" which is an experience level thing).  A camp fire looks very different from a human, as an example.

Humphrey Bogart said:
I've actually trained with an Aurora before when I was still an Infanteer.  They can do the job just fine.

It's pretty simple "hey plane I need you to ISR soak the road between Grid X and Grid Y, anything there?"

They do it and tell us what they see  8)

This. 

Good luck to the Herc crews. 

BAck on track.

Looks like the search area might be moved.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rcmp-searching-york-landing-man-for-b-c-fugitives-1.5228418

Remius said:
BAck on track.

Looks like the search area might be moved.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rcmp-searching-york-landing-man-for-b-c-fugitives-1.5228418

It would not be impossible to have stolen a canoe somewhere and have back-tracked up the Nelson River.

Just damned hard work.

If they slipped the noose in Gilliam and are in York Landing, the RCMP had better not under-estimate these two. Maybe they have just been lucky so far, but there is  pattern of tactical cunning emerging.

Apparently someone may have spotted them at a local dump.  That might be good indication that they might be getting desperate.

Looks like either Ontario MNR or something privately owned out of 3CFFTS. Looks like there at least 2 up there, plus all the others.

Cloud Cover said:
Looks like either Ontario MNR or something privately owned out of 3CFFTS. Looks like there at least 2 up there, plus all the others.

That might be one of the reasons they can't find them... they aren't using their feet :)

daftandbarmy said:
That might be one of the reasons they can't find them... they aren't using their feet :)

Someone call up the South Africans already!

Really?
The father of a British Columbia murder suspect has written a book that sheds new light on his mental health, explains harassment convictions involving his ex-wife and provides greater insight into the possible impacts the events had on his fugitive son.

Alan Schmegelsky, the father of 18-year-old Bryer Schmegelsky, sent a book to reporters this week titled “Red Flagged,” which he says is a novelization of actual events and fictionalizes some incidents.

Bryer Schmegelsky is a suspect in three murders in northern B.C. along with his friend, 19-year-old Kam McLeod, and RCMP are continuing to search a boggy, remote area in Manitoba where they were last seen.

The 132-page book, which Alan Schmegelsky said he planned to self-publish this week but now does not intend to publish for sale, reveals new details of his troubled life and his numerous encounters with police and courts.

He said he sent the book to reporters to highlight how a “broken system” has shaped him and his son.

He writes that he was arrested by Victoria police on Aug. 4, 2008, his son Bryer’s eighth birthday, three years after his acrimonious split with the boy’s mother. In a rambling, profanity-laden recollection, he explains how he was sentenced to probation because he had no criminal history at the time.

Court records show he was charged with criminal harassment in December 2008. He was found guilty of the lesser offence of disobeying a court order.

He returned to court numerous times over the next decade ...
More @ link

Cloud Cover said:
Whose yellow Jet Rangers are up there? They aren’t RCMP or OPP.

There’s tons of charter air up north, both fixed and rotary wing. Contracting local for things like SAR isn’t at all unusual, so the RCMP division probably already had pre-negotiated offers for access to aircraft on an emergency basis.

I saw interviews with the father and thought that he was making the situation all about him. In fact he might be responsible for bad parenting.

tomahawk6 said:
I saw interviews with the father and thought that he was making the situation all about him. In fact he might be responsible for bad parenting.

Maybe.  He looks sketchy.

At the end of the day though those two kids know exactly that what they are doing and have done is wrong.  Dad or no dad. They both made a choice to cross that line.

tomahawk6 said:
I saw interviews with the father and thought that he was making the situation all about him ...
I'm starting to get at least a bit of that vibe, too.  As for bad parenting, I know a few families where there's more than one kid, both got treated to (what seemed to me) reasonably good parenting, and one's OK & one's off the rails, so I won't pass judgement on his parenting yet.

That said …
Remius said:
… those two kids know exactly that what they are doing and have done is wrong.  Dad or no dad. They both made a choice to cross that line.
That.  Right.  There.

milnews.ca said:
…. I won't pass judgement on his parenting yet.
Well, from the news article about his 'book,' clearly  it's not him or his parenting -- "the system is broken."  (You know, that system where every judgement that cited him or his behaviour, he simply disagreed with).

Bad system, bad  :tsktsk:

::)

All they have to do is give themselves up. Nobody is going to hurt them. Time for this one to end.
As for the Dad, he’s clearly got some issues, but he’s still a hurting father and there probably isn’t anyone here (I’m hoping) that is judging him.

I wonder how much click revenue has been generated as a result of these murders and related background stories.

Journeyman said:
Well, from the news article about his 'book,' clearly  it's not him or his parenting -- "the system is broken."  (You know, that system where every judgement that cited him or his behaviour, he simply disagreed with).

Bad system, bad  :tsktsk:

::)
So young to be so cynical  ;D

Pulled out the "who's doing policing where/policing pressures" post & moved them here:
https://army.ca/forums/threads/130901.0/all.html

Carry on …

Milnet.ca Staff

Supposedly Schmegelsky has over 500 hours clocked playing the video game RUST.

The game essentially revolves around being dropped off naked in the woods somewhere and then scavenging for water, food, shelter and equipment.  It is a multiplayer game and other players try and steal your stuff with WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY.

Back