• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BBC: On the Front Line in Afghanistan

Teddy Ruxpin

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I'm not too sure what to make of this.  I normally have some respect for the BBC, but this story seems to have a spin to it.  My emphasis added:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/5349310.stm

Nato forces in Afghanistan say they are on the verge of a major success in their battles against Taleban fighters but some of the troops have their doubts about the mission.

At first it looked like a bird - maybe a bat - far away, skimming low over the trees, twisting left and right.

Then it leapt, soared upwards, clear to see now, a British Harrier jet.

The aircraft climbed high above the grey-blue mountains and vanished, no trace of it in the perfect, cloudless sky.

From my vantage point, on top of a small two-storey building, I was watching a battle unfolding.

Two Apache helicopters operated by the Dutch military appeared from the east, circling like hunters looking for prey.

Then they flew fast over the trees, every few seconds there was a rasping snarl as they unleashed their rockets.

Canadian Nato troops had spotted some Taleban men trying to outflank them.

There were thumping explosions as Nato guns pounded shells into the area, sending up plumes of smoke and dust.

Even closer to the battle than me, ran the main highway leading west from Kandahar city.

Bizarrely, while the fighting raged, the traffic never stopped. Lorries laden with goods trundled past, taxis packed with people, a couple of tractors, even a man on a bicycle pedalling leisurely down the road.

Afghans have seen so much conflict it is almost as if it is part of the landscape.

The battle pitted Nato forces, with all their firepower and technological might, against the Taleban militia, men armed with little more than they can carry - AK47 machine-guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

It was far from clear who was winning.

The Canadians were advancing, but painfully slowly, just 200 metres in a week. Crouching behind a low mud wall, Major Geoff Abthorpe pointed towards the smoking shell of a house just ahead.

"That's our next objective" he said. "But we need more armoured vehicles, more men, more firepower. They are coming. Finally somebody back home is taking this thing seriously."

The section of troops listening punched the air with relief. "Yeah," they shouted.

The major has an easy, fatherly familiarity with his soldiers.

Every move he makes in battle is minutely planned.

The Canadians lost five men in the first week of the operation and Major Abthorpe is anxious not to lose any more.

He pores over satellite photos before ordering his men to advance even a short distance.

But he was frustrated. "The problem is," he said candidly, "the enemy has the single-handed advantage in this terrain."

The plains west of Kandahar stretch for miles, a vast treeless expanse of yellow-brown desert.

It is so dry the earth is little more than powder.

In late afternoon the boiling air whips itself into tornadoes. You can see them coming from miles away, vast columns of dust whirling across the baking sands.

On the edge of the desert is a smudge of green where a river feeds a patchwork of orchards, vineyards and fields.

This is where the battle was being fought. Several hundred Taleban had dug in to mud-walled compounds and bunkers.

They used the fields and ditches for cover, sneaking up on the Canadians, firing at them and then vanishing.

It is a classic case of a heavy modern army struggling to subdue guerrilla fighters who know their terrain intimately.

And for decades the area has been a defensive stronghold.

When the Russians invaded Afghanistan, they fought two major battles on this very spot.

The precedent is an ominous one. Both times the Russians were defeated.

In the shade under some trees close to the front was an Afghan man working with the Canadians.

"The Taleban, they are feeling strong right now," he muttered. "They know they are hurting the Canadians."

He offered me some sweet, red watermelon plundered from the fields around us.

Soldiers' doubts

The losses are gnawing away at Canadian confidence.

What struck me was just how many doubts the Canadian soldiers seemed plagued by.

What are they in Afghanistan for? I was asked a number of times. Is it worth the lives of friends and colleagues?

Crouching in a gulley, Corporal Brad Kilcup confided, "All the guys out here, the only thing they think about is getting home safe."

A small man, his face caked with dirt, he fidgeted nervously with his gun.

Sitting beside him was Private Ryan Hunt, a sandy-haired, boyish-looking 21-year-old.

"All we want to do is help these dudes reconstruct their country," he added hopefully.

Afghanistan is a country of aching beauty.

The landscapes, the wild, jagged mountains, the empty expanses are breathtaking. There is a purity, a clarity about the light that seems to make everything luminous.

But it is a brutal place too. The sun is so savage it saps your energy in minutes.

Will this latest intrusion by outsiders trying to change Afghanistan founder like so many before it? I do not know.

But this is a land where many hopes have died, choking in the dust.

Comments from anyone deployed/deployed recently?

Contrast with this from Thursday's London Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,173-2356878,00.html

Amid the thud of artillery, soldiers stormed into a Taleban stronghold

By Tim Albone
Our correspondent reports from the front line where Canadians have been facing fierce resistance

EXPLOSIONS rocked the ground and shook the mudwalled compounds of Pashmul yesterday as Canadian troops penetrated deep into territory that for months has been in the grip of Taleban insurgents.

Dawn on the twelfth day of Operation Medusa, Nato’s largest offensive in Afghanistan, was broken by the thud of artillery and the sound of Apache helicopters going into battle.

Throughout the day soldiers on foot combed the area for rebels. Heavy gates to walled compounds were blown open, a warren of Taleban tunnels and bunkers were destroyed by explosives and grenades were thrown into wells and fired through doors.

At times the ground shook and the noise was overpowering. “We are not doing f***ing peacekeeping operations here, we are doing combat operations,” Lieutenant-Colonel Omer H. Lavoie, 40, the commanding officer of the Canadian forces, told The Times, the only British paper to visit the frontline during the fiercest battle since the Taleban was overthrown five years ago.

Finally, after almost two weeks of aerial assaults and a barrage of heavy artillery, his troops seemed to be making progress. But it is gruelling, dangerous work. At least 20 Nato troops have been killed in the battle, and as of Tuesday, Nato claimed to be in control of only 65 per cent of the Panjawyi area, which includes the villages of Pashmul.

In retreat the Taleban had left booby traps and laid landmines. The Canadians also discovered 50 kilograms of nitrogen, used in bomb making.

Fields of wheat, marijuana and poppy burned from the artillery strikes and among the tight mud tracks the Canadians also discovered weapons caches, including rocket propelled grenade launchers.

“I don’t think a lot of my guys thought they would be in an operation of this scale,” said Major Mike Wright, 35, the company commander of A company, the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI).

The area of Pashmul has long been a Taleban stronghold. Mullah Omar, the one-eyed reclusive leader of the ousted regime, was born and spent much of his life here.

It was from the villages around this area that he raised his band of illiterate ideologues, who swept across Afghanistan enforcing their strict version of Sharia.

They banned women from schools and beat men who shaved their beards. Since August about a thousand Taleban have been sheltering in the villages of Pashmul. To reinforce their positions they had even dug trenches.

“There is a trench system 50 meters away from us by the white school. In the period of the last month eight Canadians have been killed in that area,” said Major Wright.

The area was well suited to the defenders even before the trenches were dug.

Captain Max Shields, 27, with the 22nd Regiment, said: “It is outstanding terrain to defend. There is very heavy vegetation, ditches, canals and mud buildings.”

The fields, which provide the Taleban with a ready supply of melons, pomegranate and marijuana, also provide ideal cover. The marijuana bushes grow up to six feet high and provide ideal camouflage. To make matters worse the mud-walled compounds are impenetrable to bullets; only bombs dropped from the air can penetrate them. Over the past two weeks thousands of pounds of bombs have been dropped from the air, destroyed houses are scattered on either side of the mud tracks. The Taleban may have retreated from the villages, but they are not beaten. As we walked in the searing heat from compound to dusty compound there were no bodies and no bloodstains — certainly no evidence of the 600 rebels Nato claimed to have killed. The Canadian soldiers insisted that the Taleban buried their dead as soon as they fell.

During Operation Medusa, despite the high body count, many Taleban have got away and it is feared that they could be heading to Helmand province, where more than 4,000 British troops are based.

“We have good indications a lot of them are going to Helmand. My best guess is some of them have gone to Helmand, others have gone back to Pakistan for good or for the winter,” said Major Wright.

There was also no sign of civilian life, only the odd discarded mattress and a child’s shoe. Nato leaflets dropped from the air advising locals to leave for their safety was followed by hundreds of families.

Abdul Samat 35, a refugee who fled the area, said that he had no choice but to abandon his home and save his children.

“I blame ourselves; how criminal have we been before God to deserve this?,” he asked. “First the Taleban forced their way into our houses and then the coalition bomb us.”

During the Soviet invasion the area of Pashmul was never conquered, despite the the Russians pouring thousands of troops, from some of their best regiments, into the area surrounding Pashmul. “This is an eye-opener,” said Captain Jordan Schaub, 26, the second in command of Alpha company, PPCLI. “You train for this but we didn’t expect such a tempo. Seeing is believing.”

Corporal Miguel Dulac, 22, said: “I speak to a lot of American soldiers and they say this is worse than Iraq. Here they stay and fight.”

Quite a different perspective, eh?

To me, the BBC has as much credibility as the CBC: slim to none.  Both tend to spin left with a certain air of moral superiority.

Actually, compared to so much of the Canadian media stories that seemed fairly well balanced

the comment about the TB disposing of their dead quickly is very true-they will stay and fight and lose more men just to retrieve bodies (  i guess we do that also ) we've seen them prepare bodies for burial within minutes of a battle

boondocksaint said:
the comment about the TB disposing of their dead quickly is very true-they will stay and fight and lose more men just to retrieve bodies (  i guess we do that also ) we've seen them prepare bodies for burial within minutes of a battle

Is that the same concept as the bloodtrails in VN to foil the count?

The Eritreans were the same way in Ethiopia - they apparently had one of the most efficient medical evacuation systems around.  By getting their soldiers, wounded or dead, off the field in a hurry was a bit of a kick in the nuts to the Ethiopians, as there was no way to prove to their own troops they were doing anything - no bodies, no way of knowing they were doing an damage.  That can be a bit hard on morale.  Obviously getting wounded out in a hurry is good for their own morale - much the same way for us.

MM

medicineman said:
That can be a bit hard on morale.  Obviously getting wounded out in a hurry is good for their own morale - much the same way for us.

MM

Not to mention depriving the enemy of possible intel

To me, the BBC has as much credibility as the CBC: slim to none.  Both tend to spin left with a certain air of moral superiority.

I don't know.  That article seems to show a reality that we don't like to admit.  I get a bit weary of only reading the "We went in. Everyone was happy. We kicked the enemy's ***. The enemy is defeated" stories.  They often make it seem like it was some glorious battle and the good guys always win. 

Just because every story isn't one of complete victory doesn't mean that the news source has no credibility.  Remember, fighting that kind of enemy is hard.  The Soviets learned it the hard way, and now our soldiers are taking up the fight.

:salute: to everyone on the ground.  I can only imagine how hard it is in the heat and the dust, but you're doing us proud.  Keep it up.

to Gap, for every body we found during or after a Tic we would find a blood trail to another body,but often we didnt have the time or ability to follow the complete trail, the TB are very resilient and often so stoned on opium the wounds they receive dont kill them for some time

in the hyderabad video most ppl have now seen, we had pulled back to allow some arty to do some damage, when we went back in to mop up several of the dead TB/drug cartel had already been laid out on mats and had been dragged some distance from where they had fallen, there were no locals/civies in this area and these efforts were entirely done by their comrades, this was within minutes of the initial fight

boondocksaint said:
to Gap, for every body we found during or after a Tic we would find a blood trail to another body,but often we didnt have the time or ability to follow the complete trail, the TB are very resilient and often so stoned on opium the wounds they receive dont kill them for some time

We found the VC were equally quick and it did result in commanders requesting KIA counts and the troops doing a guesstimate. Some of the guesstimates I heard were nowhere near reality, but that's been well documented. I think the lesson has been learned well. It's easier to give a resonably accurate count than to try and justify a pie-in-the-sky count.

my 1cent...I need the other

Back