• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Battlestar Galactica (Beware....Possible SPOILERS! read at your own risk)

Who is most likely a Cylon ?

• Total voters
Oh, another thing.  The part where the brave character, leaving on what appears to be a suicide mission, gives a symbolic token of his leadership to an underling, and upon returning, the underling gives it back, claiming that it didn't suit him?  Brutally cliché.  No one's pulled that off tastefully since Crocodile Dundee 2.

BYT Driver said:
Now what am I gonna do on friday nights :???:

I thought you were watching "Caprica"? Or that 2 hour prequel called "The Plan" that comes out in Fall that is about the story of Tigh, Tirol and Sam in the colonies just before the 2nd Cylon War starts?

This show has had religious undertones from the get go.  Not to mention cycling history and looking at the core of what the human race is really like when push comes to shove.

Also, was this the first episode to involve time travel?

No it wasn't time travel but suggested as a divine intervention bringing them to a planet millions of light years away with a separately evolved human race.  Old Earth was just another round of History.

I really enjoyed the last show.  They had spent so long trying to find a home and figured it was time to take a step back and just live.  they wouldn't have just picked up spears and carved out arrow heads but they didn't want to flash up a burger king and start it all again. 

I think the writer is trying to call out to us a bit.  If we don't slow down and let our "harts and soles" catch up we are going to follow the Inca's, Roman's and who knows how many "civilizations" who have risen corrupted and wasted away.  We don't get too many kicks at the can on this rock.  Another dark age will seal the human races fate.  We are already showing signs of repeating the mistakes of the past.

I really enjoyed the series and feel it has risen to the top of what Sci Fi is meant to be.

I'll miss it  :salute:

:cdn:

Religious overtones and reflecting on the ending of the show aside,...did anyone else notice the R.D. Moore cameo in the final scene of the show? Where imaginary 6 and imaginary Baltar are peeking over a newspaper- guess who is the guy holding the newspaper?  ;D

GDawg said:
it was painfully apparent the "geniuses" behind the show had no plan whatsoever and wrote themselves into a corner and used religion as a cop out.

Religion isn't a cop out for the show.  The entire premise of the show was built on religion.

12 colonies ....  12 tribes of Israel
The show was originally called Adam's Ark

The creator was a Mormon and used his roots to help propel the show.

Albeit this is a wiki link... it explains a few religious undertones on which the show followed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_and_mythological_references_in_Battlestar_Galactica

Except for the line "It's all happened before, it all will happen again", which was borrowed from Peter Pan as per the "last fracken special" that aired last week.

Obviously they were making up most of the plot line as they went along.  But they had to wrap up the religious theme as well as the rest of the plot lines and characters in the last few episodes or none of the Baltar as a religious leader or the imaginary Baltar or 6 would make sense, let alone Starbuck. 

Trinity. I stated in my post that I acknowledged and actually appreciated the shows heavy use of Greek mythology. Many characters on the show, and almost all people in real life accept the non literal nature of Greek Gods.

It seemed to me that the Greek mythology was gradually dropped as the show progressed and in the end the use of religious metaphors and analogies for rich and engaging story telling were abandoned and substituted at the last moment for literal miracles and direct intervention by a monotheistic God that had a relatively thin back story in comparison to the Lords of Kobol.

I wonder how the show would have been if they leaned more heavily towards a Homeric approach and actually had the Gods of Olympus/ Lords of Kobol directly influence the characters. I think that is a plot concept I would enjoy immensely.

I've missed a bunch of episodes, so I previously believed that there was only one Earth in the series. I assumed that because "The Colony" was located very close to a black hole that when Starbuck entered her divine FTL jump coordinates the black hole played havoc on the jump and sent the BSG to Earth in the past, not only the past from our perspective but from the time frame of the show as well.

GDawg said:
Trinity. I stated in my post that I acknowledged and actually appreciated the shows heavy use of Greek mythology. Many characters on the show, and almost all people in real life accept the non literal nature of Greek Gods.

Sorry if I seemed to criticize you.  I just wanted to point out the richness of religious references that were so easily missed.

Sort of like Monty Python's Life of Brian.  There are so many obscure references that add to the humour. 

I posted way too late in the evening to try to make sense. 

Did I like the ending???  I found it interesting.  The last 20 odd minutes seemed to drag on a little bit. 

I'm not quite sure if I like the last 2 minutes, in the bustling city but I guess that had to wrap up the "all been done before, will happen again" theme. 

I think they intentionally dropped the Greek mythology and wrote in a transition to our more or less modern one almighty creator of all things.  I think it was the intent from very early on.  Just like we have in our religious evolution <== (the Pope likes this word now >:D) over the last 2000 or so years.  You don't see to many temples devoted to Greek or roman gods these days.

I thought the finale was excellent.  I found myself thinking about it a lot over the past few days.  I'm not sure if that makes me a total geek/nerd or whatever. 

As for the true nerds who participated in the viewer forum on Space, all I can say is wow.  I didn't watch it, but they had clips during the commercials and i really felt embarrassed to be associated with those people. 

the lords of cobol could have been the surviving people of a previous cycle,

they came across a planet with tribal humans on it,  established themselves as leaders with technological savy, to tribesmen they would have been gods...

their decendants eventually create another race of cylons that turn on them, they destroy the planet, call a truce, and in abandoning their destroyed planet, departed in 13 colonys, 1 cylon colony to "earth" and 12 human only to establish the 12 colonys of Kobal.

The 13th colony has a shorter cycle because they started out with cylons in the first place, however those skin jobs do exactly what the humans did, adding a temporary 3rd level to the cycle.

so then we have the 12 colony's create the current batch of cylons, they turn on humans, they fight to the almost complete annihilation of both races, then call a truce, this time however they decide to integrate with the existing tribes bringing their tech with them, instead of creating a city of technological advanced people that would overwhelm the existing tribal people, they decide to integrate into one society and bring education with them to the people.

so the pattern could always be a technological race creates another race, that race turns on them, they almost annihilate eachother, then they rebuild and try to exit the cycle which they start to become aware of through cylon memory and scripture/written records.

the first cycle which lead to kobal, they probably thought that by establishing a technologically advanced society, since they had already been through the cycle that they could use their experiance to guide the new society away from the cycle. their teachings became the greek style religion we saw, then after the next society fell, they decided to break the cycle by spreading out to different colony's, then after that didn't work they have decided to integrate into a primitive society... and there is hinting at the end that we may be heading into a delayed cycle or we may break it.

+1 Canuk  ;D I'm with you on that. 

Again I love the ending I thought it was really well done.  I saw the fan forum too and was really shocked how critical they all seemed.

c_canuk,
wow! you really put the premise of the show into a nice little nutshell. 
However, isn't it sort of egyptian culture theme and not greek mythology and religion?  Or was that just the original?  I felt a heartpang when they flew the fleet into the sun and played to original theme music...wow!  :crybaby:

Navy_Blue said:
+1 Canuk  ;D I'm with you on that. 

Again I love the ending I thought it was really well done.  I saw the fan forum too and was really shocked how critical they all seemed.

You really liked that ending?  Finding a new home and in return they go back to nature, giving up everything, writing, medical care, metal work, construction, math, schools, equal rights, and all there culture and history.  I think was poorly done and poorly thought out, and was very disappointed.  I almost stopped watching as soon they started talking about it.

I was under the impression that they gave up the fleet, but were traveling to all parts of the world to bring language, medicine, and other education to the tribes as in the Atlantis Myth... I think it's implied that they are the Atlantian Teachers that spread through the world.

not give it up, but to integrate into the existing society and culture rather than create a seperate advanced one that would overwhelm the tribes.

Ah yes, Ryan Sohmer and Lars Desouza webcomics. I read one done by them called Looking For Group, makes fun of MMO's and definitely humourous at times.

flipping back through those comics and got a good chuckle from this one..
http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20090322

WASHINGTON—According to sources in the White House, President Barack Obama has been uncharacteristically distant and withdrawn ever since last month's two-hour series finale of Battlestar Galactica.

"The president seems to be someplace else lately," said one high-level official, speaking on condition of anonymity. "Yesterday we were all being briefed on the encroachment of Iranian drone planes into Iraq, when he just looked up from the table and blurted out, 'What am I supposed to watch on Fridays at 10 p.m. now?

More on link

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/obama_depressed_distant_since

Bringing up this thread as I just picked up season 4.5 in Blu-ray.  The picture and sound quality are a lot better than what we saw on space channel. Of course I don't think it will make me like the ending any better.

If they release the first two seasons on Blu-ray I would be tempted to double-dip and pick them up as those are my favorite seasons.

My wonderful wife got me season 1 for our anniversary...looks like something to do on the weekend...hopefully I don't have to live thru more years to get the rest,....oh well, birthdays and Xmas...

YEaH!!!!    more of 6

umm, not that she's pretty or gorgeous....umm, yes, she's a fine actress...... :piper:

Back