• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Maritime Wafare

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
So the XO is strongly suggesting that I take this course to situate me for my next half ring, despite the chance that I may time out before I get to LCdr. From those who have taken this course, what does it entail, and what can I do to prepare?

Tks...

It's very basic, as the name says.  MARS Officers get it after MARS 4 as part of NOC and RCAF folks who work with the Navy (Aurora and Sea King) are invited to take it. 

There's not much to prepare - enjoy Halifax for a week.  It was a great course.

Agree, I was fairly fresh off MOAT Jnr NCO and did the course; no prep beforehand that I recall.  Juno Towers is a hop skip and a jump away from the school, very convenient location for the day routine and close to downtown Hfx.

Hey Mike,

As a NAVRES LogO, the course you actually "need" for promotion is COPS I (as of a few months ago - it's formerly a MARS-only module that's been re-roled as a general intro to single-unit tactical planning in the maritime context, with a DOMOPS slant). Maritime Warfare Basic Course is the pre-req: as the name suggests, it's just a very high-level overview of maritime operations. Very interesting/informative, but nothing to prepare for. If you want to prep for COPS I, you'll want to get familiar with CFJP 5 and the CJOC SOODO.

Monsoon said:
Hey Mike,

As a NAVRES LogO, the course you actually "need" for promotion is COPS I (as of a few months ago - it's formerly a MARS-only module that's been re-roled as a general intro to single-unit tactical planning in the maritime context, with a DOMOPS slant). Maritime Warfare Basic Course is the pre-req: as the name suggests, it's just a very high-level overview of maritime operations. Very interesting/informative, but nothing to prepare for. If you want to prep for COPS I, you'll want to get familiar with CFJP 5 and the CJOC SOODO.

There was a new progression matrix released from NAVRES just last week (I think) that removed quite a lot of pre-reqs. For LogO, you now need 4 years as Lt(N), and the BMWC. I could, of course be mis-reading the whole thing.

Interestingly, when I was last in Quebec (summer 2015), we were told that COPS was going to be a thing of the past. The class in house at the time made much of their being the last serial. Perhaps NAVRES changed their minds.

In any event, I'll call up that email when I'm at the unit on monday and read it again, but thanks for the heads up. I can send you a copy if you want...

ModlrMike said:
There was a new progression matrix released from NAVRES just last week (I think) that removed quite a lot of pre-reqs. For LogO, you now need 4 years as Lt(N), and the BMWC. I could, of course be mis-reading the whole thing.
My source was the fairly recent (within six months, i.e.) RCN Log branch way-ahead that included a bit on NAVRES Log. Possibly hasn't been implemented yet, or is being subject to second thoughts. I know a handful of LogOs and IntOs who were succession planned at the unit level have been taking it over the past few serials, and maybe that's where they're leaving it rather than an across-the-board promotion requirement.

Interestingly, when I was last in Quebec (summer 2015), we were told that COPS was going to be a thing of the past. The class in house at the time made much of their being the last serial. Perhaps NAVRES changed their minds.
The mind change was at NPTG. The plan was to can COPS II/III (the Kingston class OpsO modules) and retool/rename COPS I into a general tactical planning course. Then folks realized that you still need a course that captures the Kingston-class skillset (ROV ops/MIO/FP/etc) without compelling people to take an 8-month ORO course. The II/III phase lives on with an un-renamed I phase (they just finished running a serial a couple of weeks ago).

Dimsum said:
It's very basic, as the name says.  MARS Officers get it after MARS 4 as part of NOC and RCAF folks who work with the Navy (Aurora and Sea King) are invited to take it. 

There's not much to prepare - enjoy Halifax for a week.  It was a great course.

FYI MARS sublieutenants no longer go on the NOC; the operations lectures have been moved to MARS IV. Maritime Warfar Basic course is not mandatory but recommended if you can get loaded. I took it last year and quite enjoyed it, though it is basic as the name would suggest.

Back