• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bar fights and other incidents (Do you ever get that feeling of frustration!)

ReadyAyeReady

Inactive
Reaction score
Well this is not really military related, hence the fact that I put it in the Off Topic section.

So I was at the bar the other night with a good mate of mine.  As per usual, at the end of the night a big fight breaks out in the parking lot between a group of drunken boneheads and another squad of equally drunk and equally stupid knob jockeys who looked like their favortie pastime was comparing stretch marks and jucing up at the local gym.

So the entanglement eventually centers around two fellas who are really going at it.  One guy eventually wins it fair and square.  With the fight over the 2 eventaully shake hands after things calm down.  Good, I though, clean fight, its over, whats done is done right...thats the way it should be.  Well apparantly not in this case...

As the winner of the fight is walking away, the guy who lost and about 6 of his meathead buddies jump the guy from behind and proceed to pound the living snot out of the poor sod while the rest of his friends are being pinned down by superior numbers.  Well I have never seen a more savage beating in my life...this kid was getting the crap kicked out of him...I'm talking head smashed into concrete, kicks to the head, his white shirt was soaking red with blood.  I wanted to jump in, but there were literally like 20 of these guys and their friends.  Well my friend, a firefighter (off duty mind you), says enough and tries to help the severely beaten guy out once they backed off.  With a massive cut above his eye, this guy was bleeding profusely and was falling in and out of conciousness.  So my mate started to administer first aid and called 911 on his cell.

Well the perpetrators did not take too kindly to my buddy helping this guy out...so as I am watching from across the way they start threatening my friend.  Well they throw him to the ground, one guy grabs his hair and another starts to boot him in the face and neck.

Well I lost it then.  All I can remember thinking was "Well there's six of them and 2 of you...ummmm...you're going to get your ass kicked you realize..."  I jump in and instead of engaging these guys I just tried to pull my friend out to safety as they rain blows on the 2 of us.

Thankfully, one guy in the group had a wee bit of conscience and started to yell out "Hey guys, these 2 aren't involved, leave them alone!"

We eventually fled to safety and went home to lick our wounds.

Anyway, all I can say is that for the next days I have been fuming.  I just remember feeling so frustrated and angry.  As I go over it in my head I not only realize how malicious these guys were, but also that they fought so cheaply, ganging up on people 6 to 1.  I don't know, I just hate it when you are outnumbered like that and you can't do anything.  Well, I seriously have wished since then that I had a gun or something so I could have just kneecapped these guys and then taught them a nasty lesson.  I don't know why, but I never really feel this way until I see massive injustice, then I get very emotional and very vindictive.  I get so angry thinking about it that I start to feel frustrated.  Has anyone else ever felt this way? Is this normal or am I just psycho or something?  I just hate feeling so frustrated.  Any similar stories would be good to hear!

All I know is that hopefully one day these assholes will get their comeuppance.  In situations like this I do believe in karma.

And the moral of the story is never go to Gabby's Country Cabarat in Langley, BC...

Pretty much sounds like your average night in downtown Halifax.
The trouble bars are all located more or less in the same area, so every night you see about 4 fights.
Now you only really see four of them but you know there are more.

I've been directly involved in one where I was definetly on the receiving end of a bad ratio.

My friend peeled a guy off a girl he was beating really brutally, the guy turned on my friend.
Now my friend can handle himself so I make sure the girls alright, after seeing she's alright I tell her to go on.
The guy doesn't last 20 seconds against my buddy, mind you he doesn't beat him into a pulp but he sends him on his merry way with a sore face and we assume that's that.

5-10 minutes later we see the same guy with 5 of his friends walking quickly and angrily towards us shouting "You're dead" or something similiarly cliched.
Won't go into details but after my friend and I exchange a "good luck" from what I vaguely remember being a strong effort preceded by a suicide run up the gut we're swarmed, thankfully bystanders (that's one thing I'll say about Halifax, everyones a good samaratin) saved us from what would have been a brutal, brutal pounding and the police (who only saw us being swarmed) took the pied piper and his legion of rats off to the clink.

Now this is one thing I really don't like about society, it seems to have gone away from the "take your licks and accept it, there are just some fights you lose" and into the "take your licks and incite reprisals until you have a big enough number you can put someone in a hospital."
As neanderthal as it sounds it takes alot of the fun and finality out of a punch up which used to be the end of it (as you said, a handshake and a "well..there ya go")
The punchup, in my opinon, is the male version of a 30 hour verbal exchange of nasty remarks (watching 'elimidate' right now and I've realised that girls are vicious with words)

Anyway, I completely, completely understand what you're talking about.

" Now this is one thing I really don't like about society, it seems to have gone away from the "take your licks and accept it, there are just some fights you lose" and into the "take your licks and incite reprisals until you have a big enough number you can put someone in a hospital."
As neanderthal as it sounds it takes alot of the fun and finality out of a punch up which used to be the end of it (as you said, a handshake and a "well..there ya go")"

Couldn't have said it better Che.  Nowadays a clean fair fight is a thing of the past it seems.  My boss is an old grizzled Scotsman from Glasgow and he tells me how back in the day a fight was a fight and the two combatants would be sharing a pint by the end of the night.  Now I worry about people whipping out knives and crap like that.  Or just getting curb stomped by 10 morons.

Ok... here's two cents from a civvy's point of view. I visit my buddy at CFB Kingston quite often. We naturally head out to some of the local watering holes. Inevitably some meathead townie or college student sizes us up (I'm not in but I've got the haircut and build) and seems to think to himself "They're not so tough."  Let the fight begin... then one of his buddies jumps in, then I jump in, then a bunch of them jump in, then a whole lotta army jumps in and then it ends with cops and sometimes mps show. It seems to happen more often than not! When did it become a right of passage to get into it with military?  I know that the guys on base have been warned about the increasing ammount of fighting... but who's warned the locals?
Pipboy

When I lived in Freddy beach(fredericton hehe) it was a nightly weekend event to see two people or more going at it after the bars(yay for the city spending mucho money on the tannery, which was sapposed to be an outdoor market with trees and such but is now a parking lot/boxing ring) I've even seen two chicks fight, rolling down the sidewalk until one of them hit the light post. Heck, the subway beside all the bars has had brawls so big the employees were covered in blood.
  So far in Edmonton I havn't seen any fighting, but i'm told it goes on. The scary thing about Edmonton though is that more often than not, someone pulls a knife or a gun out and the fight gets lethal. It's kind of scary.

Its really sad when what used to be a good pastime (watching a good scrap involving two guys that just wanted to GO) has turned into a situation where knives and guns always seem to come out ............during the festivities or after the fact. I hang around Campbellton NB a fair bit and in the past two years there have been 3 guys stabbed at Tims ....one killed .........and this is in Campbellton of all places.

Some would advise, after a swarming, that the victim ID the perps, and then sort it out one at a time.

There may be legal ramifications, but these must be weighed against the psychological ramifications of not doing so and remaining a victim.

No for me to suggest anything, as every situation is different, and everyone has to make their own moral and ethical decisions.

I should add that - in ref to the original post - kneecapping with a gun is a bad idea.  Once you get out of jail, they will know you no longer have guns because of the firearms ban the judge gave you, and they will know who you are and where you live because they watched your trial.  Even assuming they feel suing you would be unproductive, they would hold the initiative.

A firearm can only be used where lethal force can be justified.  If you felt that - from a moral and ethical standpoint - that you would have been justified in using a firearm to effect the rescue of the citizen under attack, you must shoot at the centre of visible mass, not to wound.  This is not because "Deadmen tell no tales", true or not.  It is because a firearm is a tool used to force the removal of a threat to life.  Preferably yours, or someone you are responsible for (wife, small child, etc).

If you choose to engage for moral rather than legal reasons, expect to do some hard time and be financially ruined.  That being said, some may feel it to be the only course to take to retain your self respect and self esteem.  Everything has it's price.

On the other hand, if some are prepared to risk death and injury to save strangers from burning building and raging rivers, should some not also be prepared to risk prison and the wrath of civil society to also save strangers?

Or stay home and invite your friends over to drink on your patio with you...

It seems to me that Electric Avenue in Calgary was finally dismembered due to stuff like that happening...it was too much for the Police to...well, police on a nightly basis.

And it will be on a nightly basis.  Thugs learn it pays to be thugs in school.  As children, they can attack another child, and if the child fights back to defend himself, he faces the same penalty as the thug.  Our modern morally relativistic teachers do not see right versus wrong, only "violence" which is bad.

I remember parents speaking to teachers in years past, and the teachers claiming they can always predict which of their Grade Four kids will end up in prison.  Modern teachers appear to have lost that ability.

TCBF said:
And it will be on a nightly basis.   Thugs learn it pays to be thugs in school.   As children, they can attack another child, and if the child fights back to defend himself, he faces the same penalty as the thug.   Our modern morally relativistic teachers do not see right versus wrong, only "violence" which is bad.

I remember parents speaking to teachers in years past, and the teachers claiming they can always predict which of their Grade Four kids will end up in prison.   Modern teachers appear to have lost that ability.

talkin about school, well yes there is alot of fights but alot of kids back down when they are stood up to..and it usually isnt a 1v1 its who can get the most people..

I would say that generally, if you are getting into bar fights you are looking for them.   Obvious exceptions noted.

Having spent a fair amount in my life in bars, on the receiving end, I have been in very few fights.

The fact that I am large and extremely ugly probably helps, however I have eaten a certain amount of crow in my life to stay out of fights.   And I am a Tae Kwon Do black belt to boot, with a Karate and Unarmed Combat Instructor background.   Rarely if ever have had to resort to fisticuffs.  

Read Gichen Funakoshi "Karate-Do: My Way of Life".   Be humble, and when you can...  get away from a fight, and you are cornered with no choice... then defend your self.

Of course this does not apply to your Government ordering you to do Advance to Contact.   In that case go looking for a fight.

Swarmings!
Thankyou for bringing that up Piper.

Recently in Halifax there have been numerous swarmings, with boxing gloves in some cases.

First incedent was a group of girls in their late teens swarming a guy with disabilities and stealing his laptop!! That right there cheezed me, seeing the picture of him on the front page with his injuries (cuts, bruises all over his face and lack of the afformentioned laptop) made me very sad and angry.

Since then the swarmings have gotten to the point where they are blocking traffic late at night to swarm the drivers and rob them, swarming old men and attacking with sticks and robbing.

So I put on my blog-hat and asked around to some of my friends in the neighbourhood if they knew anything and from what I could figure out, the swarmers are all mostly on "house arrest"  ::)
That's not the official word, but that's from a source in the neighbourdhood.

I've driven through there alot, every time I hope someone tries to stop me and swarm my car...

"just say that I do what TCBF suggests,"

I suggested no such thing.  I merely wrote "Some would advise..."

ReadyAyeReady said:
And the moral of the story is never go to Gabby's Country Cabarat in Langley, BC...

Seen stuff like that at Tommy's Bar and Grill in Maple Ridge, BC

Back