• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Balistic eyewear

John Nayduk

Inactive
Reaction score
What's the official scope on the use of ballistic eyewear?  I hear that they're only used when ammunition is being used.  Down in my squadron, we have to wear them every time that we're in the field, in vehicles or when weapons are issued, whether there is ammo or not.  Of course we'll do what we are ordered to do but I would like to know the official story on their use.
Thanks.

What's the official scope on the use of ballistic eyewear?  I hear that they're only used when ammunition is being used.  Down in my squadron, we have to wear them every time that we're in the field, in vehicles or when weapons are issued, whether there is ammo or not.  Of course we'll do what we are ordered to do but I would like to know the official story on their use.
Thanks.

Methinks someone has gone just a tad overboard on the wearing of ballistic eyewear! LFCA directive that I have recieved only directs that troops FIRING live ammo on either conventional or field range will wear them. It doesn't state that you will wear them when carrying a rifle, working on a vehicle or anything else, just when FIRING LIVE AMMO!

Methinks Another Recce Guy has paper envy.  Looking for a bigger piece on which it is written???? :tsktsk:

"As it is written, so shall it be done!"

I can only note what the Infantry School's policy is: if you have them issued then you wear them once past range control.  This has been policy since 04, when a phase candidate had a serious eye injury whilst patrolling in the Nerepis woods (or whereever). He got a branch in the eye.  The question was "Where were his ballistic glasses?"  The answer (in his kit bag) didn't cut the mustard, so after that, you wear them.  I don't know about other units/schools.

recceguy said:
How about posting the directive?

Love to, but it is in DIN email.

Everyone bitches about "training as we fight"...so here is a piece of kit we should be wearing when we fight, then we should be wearing them when we train.
The LFCA directive gives guidance, the commander of individual units may choose to command his troops to use this piece of protective equipment more then the LFCA guidance directs.

My only gripe is that more than one soldier I know who has worn the ballastic glasses for a prolong amount of time now have eye problems (Require perscription glasses now).  Other soldiers complain about nausia and becomming dizzy when wearing them over 20 minutes or something.

We're told anytime we train (period) we wear the glasses which I agree is a good practice to get into.
I won't shed any tears if we get issued new glasses though.

On another note, quite a few soldiers I work with, myself included, are wearing the wrong size of glasses. Clothing "ran out" (among their other non essential equipment shortfalls like valeses, goretex gloves, rucksacks, gas masks, average size clothing and combat boots).

Why do people always frown on being made to wear something that protects them?  It makes sense, the only way they can save you from an eye injury is if you are wearing them.  Just like skateboarders or mountain bikers that think they don't need helmets, they'll only realize it once they have fallen and cracked their head on the roadway (talking from personal experience) or receive a rock in the eye rolling down the Lawfield corridor.

Does it hurt you so much to wear them?  No.  I just did my whole DP3 and I pretty much put them on as soon as I left Petersville, it took 3 seconds.  Geez.

OK, everyone just back the truck up. The query was not about having to wear them, it was about the contradiction and lack of clear direction on the wearing of them. If you can't, or won't post the directive (cut and paste), or can't speak to the directive from authority, stay stum. There's already a thread on the wearing and associated problems with bg's. If you want to vent your spleen on their physical aspects and use, do it there.

Last BTE we wore them every wear outside the wire (so to speak).  That included driving an LSVW.

My response was not to the original poster but to the others that have (in past topics) and will be whining.  As for the directive?  When I get it passed on in an o-group, and it makes sense, I take that as my "directive".  I will check the Canforgens on tuesday when I get back to work but I have never seen anything specific.  This new order may have something to do with that image passed around of the guy in Iraq (Afghan?) that had shrapnel inbedded in his eye pro.

Unfortunately, operating on 'I think....', 'I heard........', 'Someone said........' doesn't cut it. Given the confusion, I can almost guarantee, some firing party, somewhere, will be ordered to wear their glasses on parade. The next argument will be if the tinted lens will be allowed for wear while in DEU, for the occasion.

vonGarvin said:
I can only note what the Infantry School's policy is: if you have them issued then you wear them once past range control.  This has been policy since 04, when a phase candidate had a serious eye injury whilst patrolling in the Nerepis woods (or whereever). He got a branch in the eye.  The question was "Where were his ballistic glasses?"  The answer (in his kit bag) didn't cut the mustard, so after that, you wear them.  I don't know about other units/schools.

yep we got told only last week acually that ballistic goggles take over for issued crew goggles.Personally I hate the things compared to the AFV goggles.

rcac_011 said:
yep we got told only last week acually that ballistic goggles take over for issued crew goggles.Personally I hate the things compared to the AFV goggles.

That's a winter decision, wait until it starts getting to dusty and the ballistic glasses don't keep the dirt out of your eyes on a convoy move.

recceguy said:
That's a winter decision, wait until it starts getting to dusty and the ballistic glasses don't keep the dirt out of your eyes on a convoy move.

my point exactly...problem is how many of the "powers who be" will be flushing their eye balls after work all day in that.....um....oh....field! yes field!

We also got instructed to remove our dogtags from or dag folders and start wearing them to work everyday....in case we get "wasted" on our way to work I guess and no other identifiable marks or stuff like my car Vin number is evident.

Well, guess I'm as guilty as the rest for going off the topic. I'd still like to see something in writing though. Seems like each local commander, all the way down to the troop corporal, is making up their own parameters.

Well it seems to me that it was an Armour School decision and it was passed on to everyone.  Training as you fight is a good technique.  We'll check it out tomorrow.

Again, no one is denying 'train as you fight' or if wearing them is a good idea. Some commonality and clear direction, Forces wide, would be appreciated. Not just what each school, unit or commander thinks is good. We all know some are extremely well grounded and experienced, while others can be oppositely anal.

I was issued the ESP 21 ballistic goggles through the ADF SDSS. They come with a tinted lense with is QD, and a nice OD cordura pouch. These goggles are made in Israel.

I also have purchaed a set of Wiley X SG-1's at a local AJ supplier near Enoggera. They come with both tinted and clear lenses, and with QD 'arms'  along with a QD band, which is good, but sucks too, as if you are wearing a CVC, ya gotta remove the CVC to get the things off. These 'glasses' come with a nice pouch too.

The Wiley X's were credited with saving the eyesight of our of our lads who was IED'd on his LAV in Baghdaddy in 2004.

I have to confess that I have worn the ESP 21's much more than I have the Wileys, as I wear a CVC, and coming off course, we were wearing the CVC and goggles for 12-15hrs a day. Along with the ESP21s I wear a nomex flash hood too, but only in the spider hole up front. I force myself to wear the flash hood all the time up there, trying to get used to it for what lays ahead.

Google these goggles, and see what you can find on them.

Cheers,

Wes

Back