• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bahamas: DIN access

Dissident

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone has suggestions for DIN access while in the Bahamas for an extended stay? Doesn't look like there is an embassy on the main island where I am going.

Sign out a laptop and use DVPNI?

See your local IT Help Desk.  They'll issue you a specially configured DWAN laptop.  You'll need an active PKI card if you don't already have one, and will need to log into the laptop at least once (and login using the PKI card once) while you are still able to make a wired connection to the DWAN, although the Help Desk should know this.  Instructions will come with the laptop for connecting up while you're away.

And confirm before leaving that you are permitted to bring DND IM/IT resources where you are going.  There are restrictions on bringing some items out of the country (regularly flouted, but that's an issue for another discussion).

(Edit due to posting before coffee earlier in the day)

If you are concerned about your emails, you may want to appoint a delegate who can access your email and keep you informed if the DVPNI stops working. I have been on a 5 month deployment in the U.S. and brought a laptop with the intent of using DVPNI to keep up on some work issues. After the first month, it stopped working, and according to the help desk they cannot correct the problem until they have the laptop.

My issue is more along the lines of being on a distance learning course and not having access to some reference material off the DIN. Or being able to do my PC in the allotted time.

VPN is pretty hands as it re-assigns your IP so bad guys can't identify you by location.  I use it for working at home. >:D

Canadian Signaler said:
VPN is pretty hands as it re-assigns your IP so bad guys can't identify you by location.  I use it for working at home. >:D

Using a VPN does not "reassign" your IP, nor does it hide your location.  Your IP has to be on the packets in order for them to arrive at your computer.  All a VPN does is encapsulate your data within a tunneling protocol.

Back