• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

B.C. premier says he will lobby PM to enlist military for wildfire duty

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
’cause we’re awesome at ‘raking the forests’ :)

B.C. premier says he will lobby PM to enlist military for wildfire prevention duty​

During questioning after a news conference with Trudeau about child-care funding, Horgan said the military could be called upon to serve in a larger prevention role by clearing forest debris to reduce fuel before fires start.

"We're hopeful we can find new ways to redeploy military resources, the Armed Forces of Canada, to help with fuel management, because if there's no fuel, it's easier to manage the fires.”

B.C. premier says he will lobby PM to enlist military for wildfire prevention duty

Aren't the Provinces able to request military assistance without involving the Federal Government?

Aren't the Provinces able to request military assistance without involving the Federal Government?
RFAs are for providing support in response to an emergency. What the Premier is talking about it prevention of emergencies, essentially a standing role for the CAF to clean up forrest of dead wood. Not sure how that fits within the CAF mandates. But again, using artillery for avalanche control is also within this type of requests so who knows.

Just what an understaffed, and struggling CAF needs... a minimum wage thankless job in the middle of nowhere. That will drive recruitment, and retention for sure. While I understand the BC government's request, I think it would be a bad move for the CAF to get into it beyond a year or two at most. We are expensive, and over qualified for that work. Maybe have a few tasking to support if specialized kit is needed, might be a good way to recruit.

Ideally a job like that would be a great way to offer summer/spring employment to students, and other underemployed youth. Make $15-17/hour, live in a camp paid for by the government, and walk away at the end of the summer richer, well tanned, and in better shape.

No
’cause we’re awesome at ‘raking the forests’ :)

B.C. premier says he will lobby PM to enlist military for wildfire prevention duty​

During questioning after a news conference with Trudeau about child-care funding, Horgan said the military could be called upon to serve in a larger prevention role by clearing forest debris to reduce fuel before fires start.

"We're hopeful we can find new ways to redeploy military resources, the Armed Forces of Canada, to help with fuel management, because if there's no fuel, it's easier to manage the fires.”

B.C. premier says he will lobby PM to enlist military for wildfire prevention duty
Not even close to something the CAF should be doing. How about enlisting those thousands of environmentally minded university students to do something useful in summer- besides protest stuff?

what’s next- the CAF bringing in the wheat harvest?

RFAs are for providing support in response to an emergency. What the Premier is talking about it prevention of emergencies, essentially a standing role for the CAF to clean up forrest of dead wood. Not sure how that fits within the CAF mandates. But again, using artillery for avalanche control is also within this type of requests so who knows.

BC is huge. The area of forest he's talking about is roughly twice the size of Germany.

Preventative forest management work like this could keep the whole CAF busy for years and, of course, is something that civilian businesses who are properly prepared, equipped and trained to do this work should be doing.

BC is huge. The area of forest he's talking about is roughly twice the size of Germany.

Preventative forest management work like this could keep the whole CAF busy for years and, of course, is something that civilian businesses who are properly prepared, equipped and trained to do this work should be doing.
So similar to dealing with a light snowfall in Toronto?

At most I could see the RCAF help airlift crews for a bit, that's about it. Better ways to use our resources.

I understand that but at this point, nothing would surprise me…

Full Time Summer Employment program. 2 Birds with 1 Stone.

SeNd In Th
A lot of full PAT platoons with nothing to do
Considering our medical system has moved to asking patients what they want for medical restrictions and how much time off they want I can see those PAT platoons staying put if they were ordered to go pick up sticks in the forest.

I know these politicians like making illogical requests to make themselves look good but this one is pretty grandiose.

7% unemployment rate in BC and they want to send in the military. 🙄
Haha well you DO make a valid point in terms of numbers.

But when you drive around Vancouver and see some of the homeless / unemployed folks… I wouldn’t want them fighting fires. I’d reckon they would start more actually, not understanding that ‘cigarette butts in this environment are bad.’

If nothing else, a minor filter would be required…. Folks who usually work but hit tough times? Great summer employment for sure

EDIT - I obviously read the posts and posted my reply here before reading the actual article. Disregard my above 🤦🏼‍♂️

If those PAT Platoons exist at all. CAF recruiting took a nosedive through COVID, theres not thousands of folks waiting for a broken training system anymore. There is, however, tons of reservists from affected provinces who have been promised 4 months of employment. Nothing in the FTSE said it would be jump and door gunner courses for 4 years.

If those PAT Platoons exist at all. CAF recruiting took a nosedive through COVID, theres not thousands of folks waiting for a broken training system anymore. There is, however, tons of reservists from affected provinces who have been promised 4 months of employment. Nothing in the FTSE said it would be jump and door gunner courses for 4 years.

And, even better, statistics prove that keen 18 year olds join the Army so they can do all the crappy menial jobs the civvies don't want and, also, the Province saves money because they only have to pay the CAF a fraction - for Toons - of what they'd need to pay out to a professional forest management firm.

Win win!

Steve Carell Comedy GIF by filmeditor

Back