• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AVOT Helpful hints and tips

Wrathwitch

Inactive
Reaction score
Having had to piece bits of information from sources everywhere, I figured I would put in my most valued information learned in the VOT process. Feel free to add in.

The most important: BPSO interview. This cannot be overstated. We aren’t permitted to talk about the interview, but what you should do before you go is: Review your PERS file at the OR. Know what they will be looking at when they look at your file. This way if there is anything that is a bit dodgy you can pre-emptively bring it up during the interview. FYI all of your course reports are on it from EVERY course you have taken regardless of how much time in or broken service etc. I was out for 10 years and my very first trade course report was on it (much to my sorrow). Ensure that you are DAG Green and of course that your FORCE test will be valid.

The reason the BPSO interview is so important is that the ONLY things that the board gets on you are: 1) MPRR, 2) your AVOT memo, and 3) BPSO recommendation. So no matter how well you do on courses etc they will only see the BPSO’s assessment. Prepare for this interview and prepare as well as you can for the trade you want. The appointment is Dress of the Day, but upon reflection, I would have worn my 3’s.

Secondly: Start the process ASAP. The memo will likely be your biggest block and delay. Book your medicals ASAP (esp if you are going to require special medical like aircrew or diver etc) sometimes you can be waiting as long as a couple of months for the appointments. Also, the sooner that your file gets forwarded to CFEME the less delay you will have for your application process. (CFEME is responsible for granting aircrew or diver categories). Once your medical is done check in with the hospital records department who mails your medicals out to CFEME. They can sit there for months….

Some solid advice I got for my memo was:
1) Put the timeline that all of the paperwork will be required at the BPSO (completed) on the memo. (Usually the last para) this gives the CO etc. a heads up as to timeline for the process.
2) Put the CANFORGEN and the forms checklist that you get on the BPSO website for forms that will be required. Often your CoC has never done this and you will save time providing them with the resources that you have been using.
3) Make copies and when your memo is good to go get a tracking number for it through your OR before it starts up the chain. This way if it is stuck somewhere along the way you can find out who and where.

Make copies of every application part that you are responsible for as to avoid any complications due to things getting “lost”.

Use current forms on the BPSO website for the application. You don’t want to have to re-do any of them.

Finally, be patient or at the very least respectful during the process. Keep your cool; be professional even when things are frustrating. If they are being unprofessional, you don’t have to follow suit. It is not a sprint but an endurance race. If you start the process soon enough you allow sufficient time for any delays to not put you in a time crunch. Take time to thank those who have or are helping you, it makes quite the difference to the effort they will put down on your behalf.

These are some very good points. Thank you for sharing this information Wrathwitch

Ah yes I just finished my 3rd attempt at a Vot complete with application and PSO interview. Now the wait until June. I agree with all of these points in my experience.
1)  I recommend keeping copies of everything as well as people are not going to be as careful with your career as you will be.
2) current forms are very important! You don't want to have to restart the process after you've already waited weeks
3) I've only ever worn dress of the day and I don't believe it has a huge bearing on their decision as they expect dress of the day anyways but don't look like you just came out of the field either.
4) Try to prepare yourself as if you want them to hire you for the job like any other interview.
5) Be patient, I've had to wait a full year before for an answer (I applied early as you're allowed anytime to apply) and I've been turned down twice due to my trade not letting people out as well as my target trade not letting VOTs in.

I know the struggle. Any other questions please let me know.

Hello,

Another piece advice I can add is make an appointment with the PSO prior to your intended VOT appointment to discuss the competitiveness of your CFAT score.  Most, except for a few long in the tooth folks like myself would have written the CFAT when you joined.  If you meet the cutoff percentile for your occupation of choice then your file will continue.  If you do not you will have to write the CFAT again to meet that cutoff.  However, even if your old CFAT meets the cutoff, if it just meets it your file though suitable might not be as competitive as others who have a higher CFAT score.  So you might just ask for a quick counseling session with a PSO to go over you CFAT scores and determine if writing it again would be beneficial (especially if you applied before and were not selected).

Word of warning though, you only have three times to rewrite the CFAT in your military caree (including your initial write on recruiting) so be sure you are prepared as a rewrite to improve your scores counts as one of those times.  So you only have one more chance to write it should you be looking at another in-service selection program down the road.  Last hitch . . . if you write it a second time and score lower than the first time . . . that will be the score used to asses your file, not the old one.

Cheers

Andraste

Yeah those CFAT are like a double edged sword. I had to rewrite mine because my previous CFAT math scores weren't high enough to go into the trade I was VOT requesting. I hate those timed word problems! I also didn't study hard enough (took it too lightly having been out of the maths for a long time). On the plus side, I increased my overall CFAT scores, on the negative side, I did not qualify for the math requirement. There are a lot of resources online that can help you overcome any deficiencies on your scoring to help you, and it would have been in my best interest to pay for some of them.

Andraste said:
Hello,

Another piece advice I can add is make an appointment with the PSO prior to your intended VOT appointment to discuss the competitiveness of your CFAT score.  Most, except for a few long in the tooth folks like myself would have written the CFAT when you joined.  If you meet the cutoff percentile for your occupation of choice then your file will continue.  If you do not you will have to write the CFAT again to meet that cutoff.  However, even if your old CFAT meets the cutoff, if it just meets it your file though suitable might not be as competitive as others who have a higher CFAT score.  So you might just ask for a quick counseling session with a PSO to go over you CFAT scores and determine if writing it again would be beneficial (especially if you applied before and were not selected).

Word of warning though, you only have three times to rewrite the CFAT in your military caree (including your initial write on recruiting) so be sure you are prepared as a rewrite to improve your scores counts as one of those times.  So you only have one more chance to write it should you be looking at another in-service selection program down the road.  Last hitch . . . if you write it a second time and score lower than the first time . . . that will be the score used to asses your file, not the old one.

Cheers

Andraste

It's been taking us 2-3 months to get a PSO interview conducted, and that's 2-3 months from the date their VOT application and supporting documents are complete and ready to go, not from the date the member first indicates that they want to VOT.

I can't imagine how long in advance, around these parts at least, that they would have to start their VOT process if they wanted a simply Q&A situation with the PSO before they even start their application.

That is unfortunate as it really is base dependent . . . I used to offer the service on a drop by basis when I ran a base office. 

At the very least then, you should discuss the competitiveness of your CFAT score with the PSO during your appointed interview.

Cheers

Andraste

Back