• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Avionics Systems Technician ( AVS )

"If I get loaded onto course quickly my wife is going to move up with me."

Just some info. You can apply for housing/PMQ/whatever in BORDEN when you get there and report to PAT. If she does move out to Borden and you get loaded on your POET course, you will be going to Kingston IR and she will NOT be moving up to Kingston with you. POET is a seven month attached posting with free R/Q and TD (or sep expense) You won't be able to move her there for 7 months and then back to Borden while you attend your AVS QL3. Most people in your situation had their families brought down soon after getting to CFSATE from BMQ and they commuted to Borden on the weekends while they were in Kingston. When they returned from Kingston, their families were already settled in. With PAT time you could be in Borden up to 18 months, so consider the benefits of moving your family there since there is NO guarantee of you going back to Greenwood for a posting after you finish your time at CFSATE.

;D I just knew this was a thread that Cdn Aviator would get in on....

Couple of weeks till grad...2 weeks of Farnham in the wet cold and then shazam, I'm all done here in Paradise. I've been talking to some of the guys getting posted to Bordom to PAT and they've been lucky and have been able to get on OJT on other bases (AVN and AVS) so maybe I'll be lucky. If not I have vacation and Xmas ;)

I have another question though...how long will I be wearing the cornflake for? Or do I swap that for the Air Force cap badge when I get out of here? I've heard different things but I'd really like to know.

As soon as you report to PAT platoon they will make you clear into the base. You may take CFSATE taxi or they might have someone drive you around. Either way, one of the stops you will be making is clothing stores where you will have the tailor sew an Air Operations cap badge on your wedge and beret. Cornflakes are fod hazards and being that CFSATE has active hangars, the cornflake is not permitted. I guarantee that if you are seen wearing it by anyone they will ask why you still have it on.
    You can ask for it in St. Jean before you leave I suppose, but given that I did not do my BMQ there I don't know the chances of you getting one are. Better to wait till you get to Borden clothing. They deal with that all the time.

RTaylor said:
I have another question though...how long will I be wearing the cornflake for? Or do I swap that for the Air Force cap badge when I get out of here? I've heard different things but I'd really like to know.

You will get it replaced by the air command badge when you arrive in borden`(within a couple of days anyway) I heard that it is because it is considered fod as the cornflake may fall off. I am not sure if that is true, but either way you get it!!!

aerobat said:
I heard that it is because it is considered fod as the cornflake may fall off.

Since no your beret or wedge are not worn in the hangar or on the flightline, your hat badge is not a FOD issue.

So do I still get rid of my cornflake for the real thing when I hit Borden next week? ;)

As I explained in great detail in my earlier post, yes you will be getting rid of it within days of getting there as part of your clear-in process. And the cornflake is indeed a fod hazard for the simple reason that parades, inspections, and other things are often conducted in the Stedman Building (the main hangar at CFSATE) where you WILL be wearing your beret or wedge. These hangars have some aircraft that are still in running condition (and are used for teaching marshalling) and a metal cap badge could pose a danger if lost somewhere within them.

Thanks CDN, I really hate my metal cornflake and cant wait till I get the Air Force cap badge...yay n_n

I graduate on Thursday and hit Borden on Friday, Im really looking forward to getting out of St Jean.

Call me a dinosaur, but I wish you still had to earn the cap badge.  When I went through Shilo in 76, we did not get the hat badge until graduation from QL3.  Following my remuster in 80 to Aero Engine Tech, the Air Ops cap badge was not worn until Graduation Day.  I might add though, in those days the remuster was not "effective" until you passed.  So, we (entire course were remusters) resisted rebadging until we passed our 3's. 

CDNAIRFORCE said:
  These hangars have some aircraft that are still in running condition (and are used for teaching marshalling) and a metal cap badge could pose a danger if lost somewhere within them.

Alon with all the pens and the million other things everyone carries on them in the course of a day.

"no metal cap badges because that is FOD"........ ::)

Might as well start wearing cloth nametags on our DEUs or sew medals directly to the tunic while we are at it.

But yeah.....what do i know.

Inquiring minds want to know if the cap badge issuing is done by trade/ regiment or does the air force just get theirs early?

Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone could post the POs and the subjest of each for the AVS course at CFSATE

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you

From the profile of avs2010:

Last Active: March 12, 2010, 07:18:08

Why the hell do people come on here, ask a question and then never come back?  ???

The least they could do is say thanks.  :mad:

I have a interview coming up soon for AVS tech through subsidized education in Toronto recruiting center, and was told to study a bit about the trade before the interview. I am unsure as to what exactly to look up, so I started studying basic circuitry, stuff like resistors, compactors, and inductors, also I took a brief overview at what is avionics, such as comm, nav, data management, sensors etc etc (nothing in-depth). I am wondering if I am going towards the right direction? and can someone shed some light on as to what could help me perform better in the interview; knowledge I should know, types questions that I should be prepared to answer, competitions I am up against, and based on a brief description below about myself how are my odds?

thank you all in advance, your helps and advices are greatly appreciated.

biography:
-high school dropout (I was a delinquent teen)
-obtained GED
-applied to military years later
-while in application process I have accomplished the following to boost my odds:
*paid off all debts, to improve my credit rating (roughly $10,000) (few outstanding rogers accounts, car accident, fines etc etc)
*obtained 5 grade 12 credits so far 3 of them are math in the 4U level all with scores above 95% and working on finishing my 6th grade 12 credit. (all these are achieved while working full time job)
*started my pardon process (criminal record)
*Centennial college made me offers in both AVS and AVN programs
*I was told that my CFAT scores are good enough to take any NCM jobs

jack0527 said:
how are my odds?

We will be able to give you our best GUESS as soon as ALL other AVS applicants have posted their stories here.

Do you see what i am getting at ?

For your interview, you should be very familiar with the AVS page of the recruiting website and everything it talks about. Your interviewer is not going to ask you about circuitry and soldering technique.

If you still have a criminal record, you could end up having to wait until you have received a pardon.

CDN Aviator said:
We will be able to give you our best GUESS as soon as ALL other AVS applicants have posted their stories here.

Do you see what i am getting at ?

For your interview, you should be very familiar with the AVS page of the recruiting website and everything it talks about. Your interviewer is not going to ask you about circuitry and soldering technique.

If you still have a criminal record, you could end up having to wait until you have received a pardon.

Haha I know I cant seem to find other AVS applicants post here, so I thought I just ask and hoping that someone with experience in the field would come shed some light. I however did not know that I might have to wait until I have received a pardon, since I have already got this far in the application (back checks, medial, CFAT), I do not have a weapons ban, and it a charge when I was 18 which makes it 9 years ago, so this criminal record might still haunt me eh?

I am seriously considering OT'ing to AVS from ACISS CST, assuming it is still in demand.

I have read all the forums and got as much info as I can on here. What I would like to know is... what are the things that people don't like about the trade as well as what they do like about it. Don't sugar-coat it... give it to me straight up please.

My background: I have a 2 year Electronics Technician Diploma. I worked as an electronics tech for 15 years civvie side before joining the military. I repaired all kinds of radios, electronic and mechanical instrument clusters, body controller modules, test equipment, and other automotive and consumer electronics (tv,etc) down to high-level circuit board repairs. I have done more soldering than you can imagine, mostly with surface-mount components and even ball-grid array ICs. I would say I have at least 50,000+ repairs under my belt as we worked our asses off all day everyday. I am also very good with computers. I can build any PC and troubleshoot all sorts of hardware or software problems. I'm also a major audio and video guru. I'm kind of a super-nerd...  :)

After losing my job I joined the military. I wanted ATIS but it wasn't available. I didn't want to go Navy tech so my choices were LCIS or AVS. I chose LCIS as it was a perfect fit for me because of my background and my love for computers and IS. I got a POET bypass and started at a higher pay level, and got my hook, day one.

Well, after doing very well at basic (top student, best shot), I eventually found out....hey you are no longer LCIS you are ACISS now...oh and you will wait forever to start DP1.0 instead of going right to your LCIS QL3's, and spec pay... haha sucks to be you! You are also going to be a signal operator...and all the IS stuff you were hoping to be able to do... say bye bye to it! Its going to IST mostly...

Long story short, I'm now a fully qualified LCIS tech...oh sorry ACISS CST now. I'm not completely happy with ACISS as it is not what I have signed up for. I'm not saying it's all bad, there are parts of it I like... but it's a bit of a mess. I have worked on radio and comms equipment for 15 years... and with the changes of ACISS, maybe its time for me to change to something else.

Reality is... I want to go Airforce (like I originally wanted), and I want to work as a TECH on electronics equipment in aircraft. My background makes me a perfect fit for it.

I'm still a Private with 3.5 years in (after multiple recommendations for promotion to Corporal...2 years with no pay raise, and no sign of spec-pay returning). I'm up for contract renewal in 1 year.

I have made an appointment with the BPSO. Hope it will actually happen. What do you guys think and recommend?

You'd really do well as an ATIS Tech.  You'd probably do well also as an AVS Tech, but you'll likely not see much/any of the IT side of the house in that trade.  That's not to say you won't have an opportunity, but the number of positions in IT-related fields doesn't compare between the two.

I know guys who have remustered from the Army into both trades, and have remustered from the Navy into both trades.  They've all been happy with their choices.

I'm partial to ATIS Tech, the scope of responsibilities seems (in my perhaps biased opinion) much wider and offers a much wider range of employment.

Back