• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Avionics Systems Technician ( AVS )

As an AVS tech who has spent some time in Borden, I can probably answer some of your questions. When you arrive at CFSATE from BMQ, you will be given a few relocation days off to clear into the base. Then you will become part of the PAT Platoon. (Personnel awaiting training) while awaiting your POET course in Kingston. I had a 4 month wait for my POET, but there are a lot less people there than when I first arrived there so the waits have not been as long. The new PAT staff have greatly improved PAT in the last few months. There are a lot more taskings and a lot less sitting in the canteen staring at the walls. That being said, it is what you make of it and keeping in mind you are getting paid a heck of a lot plus banking pensionable time will help keep you in perspective.

If your course does not start for a while, you will have the opportunity to take leave. As far as weekend leave, you will get every weekend off. Unless there is a parade or there are problems in the shacks with behaviour and the SCWO is forced to initiate a weekend inspection. However in the year and a half I was there weekends were threatened to be revoked several times but it never happened. You need a leave pass if you are going beyond a 500 km radius if I remember correctly. You do need one for Quebec. If you are staying in the radius but not in the shacks/PMQ, you fill out the weekend locater. Simple as that. So as far as you husband/BF/whatever worrying about you disappearing for a while, no need. If he lives in Ontario, you will be seeing him quite frequently.

AVS training in Shearwater? Awesome...so once I'm done with the POET training I may be shipped back to Nova Scotia for more? Awesome news...first time I've seen this (not on the forces.ca website at all, no surprise there though).

Is it still being ran this way? Best news Ive come across :)

Oh, and how solid does the math skills have to be? Im a bit rusty, but out of the blue I passed Physics Math (survey physics) by barely scraping by (hard as hell). I heard the military starts at the most basic level when they teach you a skill you need to know for tech courses.

Yes they are still conducting AVS QL3 in Shearwater at NSCC Aviation Institute. I graduated there on March 7 and am now waiting for my message to Cold Lake which has been delayed due to the semi-isolated screening process. I can answer any questions about it you may have, although I assume you still have to go do your POET training. As of now, the seventh serial is beginning tomorrow and I believe the contract is for more two more courses after that minimum. So you may be finish your POET and sent here. However they are still running a limited number of english QL3 in Borden, but that is mostly for people who have been having outstanding "issues", whether administrative or personal. I don't know if you have a family, but as it is five months long you are on a "prohibited" posting when you come here. You cannot get a PMQ or move your family at the Crown's expense. You do not get TD pay or free R and Q either, unless you come IR and collect Sep Expense, which is what the people who leave their families in Borden or wherever do. The nice thing is you can de-link from the rations unlike Borden, but the food here is excellent so it is not necessary. I did though to have a little extra each pay and was still able to eat well by eating in the mess occasionally and buying groceries. You also get a single room while you are here.
    As for the math, it is really nothing to sweat in POET and definitely not here. In POET, they will teach you everything from the basics you need to know. The only math here we did was calculations of frequencies of doppler radar. Kids stuff!

Good luck in POET!

Hoping to join soon as an AVS in august. Will the course still be in shearwater? I suppose so since from what I have read borden is crammed...

The new budget is out in a few weeks (April sometime) so it will probably depend on that.

My jaw would drop to the floor and I'd be uber happy if it was in Shearwater.

Just curious if i go ahead with the idea about joining. I'm waiting on my file to go through and i'll get an answer on when to be sworn in. where will i be stationed? Its hard to find an avionics technician in the civilian world who knows anything at all about the CF airforce.

1. - I also have a question about the quality of life. I love change, and I'm always up for it. But I also know there will be a time in my life time where i want to settle in one place. Will there be a time where I will have a permanent place?

2.  - Also how frequent aill the CF move me around? (just an estimate will be fine)

3.  - As an AVS tech, where will i be stationed most likely? I've checked the DND website but theres not a lot of info i need from there yet.

4. -  How much of a man shortage does the CF air force have? When did all this happen?

5. -  How does work compare to civilian. I've worked as a civilian Avionics technician. And we have about 1 avionics guy for every 10 mechanical guys. Now do avionics technicians actually do "avionics" or what ever you're good at they'll put you into, thats somewhat related to avionics. ex paper pusher for new installation and documentation?

6. -  Any retired AVS techs here or know anyone? Could someone share their experiences as an AVS or AVN tech?

thankx

yoeun said:
. But I also know there will be a time in my life time where i want to settle in one place. Will there be a time where I will have a permanent place?

No. You may be in one place longer than others but a posting is always just around the corner.

2.  - Also how frequent aill the CF move me around? (just an estimate will be fine)

Could be anywhere from 10 years + in one place to moving every 3-4. I've been in the CF for 16 years and i'm on my 5th posting.....more to come.

3.  - As an AVS tech, where will i be stationed most likely?

Anywhere CF aircraft are based.

. Now do avionics technicians actually do "avionics" or what ever you're good at they'll put you into, thats somewhat related to avionics. ex paper pusher for new installation and documentation?

The AVS techs at my unit work avionics. They also perform aircraft servicing along with technicians from the other trades. When you hit a certain rank, the job involves managing the maintenance program and the paperwork, just like anywhere else.

And FYI, it's pretty easy not to be a grey man in Trenton.  The AVS techs on the snags crew work with the rest of us on servicing, and though there aren't as many as them, we all know who they are.  The crews are big, but still pretty family-like.

hey all

I'm 3 weeks from graduating bmq but haven't heard about the next avs tech course at all. Does anyone know when it starts? Poet comes first I'm sure and some people tell me that common core is part of my training but I'm sure that avs doesn't take it because we have poet.

Thanks a bunch, no one here seems to be able to find anything out ex epcept for avn info

I would not worry too much about the date of the AVS course. I know you are interested, but focus all of your remaining energy and effort into the remainder of BMQ. Judging by your previous posts you went through a lot of BS to finally get to BMQ so enjoy the last few weeks as they are usually the best ones. Your AVS course may not start for a year. POET will be 7 months and that is not counting if you have to wait on PAT platoon for a few months until the next POET course starts. Yes you have to do common core when you return from Kingston. It has been pared down to a month and a bit. It used to be 3 months. POET teaches you NOTHING that is related to common core. Oh and the last course in Shearwater at NSCC graduates in December and the contract will then be over so you won't be going there. The longer pat wait is usually between common core and 3's. Myself I had a four month wait between BMQ and POET and 4 month wait between CCore and 3's.

My CFSATE experience spanned between April 06 and Mar 08 so my knowledge is recent. Let me know if you have more questions.

Do you happen to know if I end up on PAT if i'm there for any amount of time if I can apply for ojt at a base near my home, and if so what are the chances of getting it?

When you get to Borden from St. Jean, you will get a few days relocation to clear in and settle yourself into the shacks. If you are single or on IR you WILL move into the shacks. I would not really say that they have much OJT available for PATS in Borden. When I arrived in Shearwater three weeks prior to my 3's starting, they had us working at 423 Squadron and we were not allowed to do much if anything. I don't know where your home is so I cannot say a definite answer as to if and where OJT would be available. I know that when I left Borden a year ago, PAT was becoming a lot more efficient at course loading people so they did not have to sit in the canteen watching movies for monthstherefore the need for long term taskings has decreased. You can submit a memo for a tasking or OJT if you desire, but seeing that virtually every new person at CFSATE does that, don't be surprised if it gets denied right in front of you. More common and available than OJT were general taskings out of town. I went to the Nova Scotia Tattoo for a month and went to work in Cold Lake for WASF duties during Maple Flag for 3 months. Some people went to Winnipeg for 2 months to paint pedestal planes. Some people were even slated to go to Alert for GD but I am not certain if that happened.
    The main factor in whether they send people to a TASKING out of town is the approximate time from your arrival at CFSATE until your proposed course date. Even if they had OJT/tasking in your home location, they likely would not send you if your course is starting in a month or less. However if something is available and you are an eligible candidate, they will ask for volunteers or tell you that you have been selected to fill the duty. Bottom line is if they offer you a tasking anywhere, TAKE IT! Whether it is moving furniture for a day for RQSS in Borden, working at clothing stores in Borden, going to Cold Lake, or a parade in Toronto. (I've done all those things). I know from experience that even as a QL3 qualified person, I am limited in what I can/cannot do. A PAT with no qualifications would be even more limited in what they have to offer a squadron as far as a "hands on the aircraft basis." Hence the scaling down of sending people specifically for OJT.  Not to be discouraging but just being honest based on my own experiences.

Ive been told that since I live 30 mins from greenwood and I own a home plus my wife and kids are there I may stand a better chance... Plus the warrant officer who heads up the avs techs is the hubby of a friend of mine.

The least I can do is put in the memo, it can't hurt

Then by all means submit a memo. Just keep on mind that until you return from POET and finish common core and get on course, you are under the control of the PAT office, which means that they will be the ones handling all the OJT requests and memos and ultimately deciding whether to forward them to the SCWO or his delegate for approval. The WO you speak of is likely an AVS flight or course director and they don't deal with PATS. He probably heads up AVS techs ON AVS QL3 course. Your logic makes sense as you own a home and left your kids there, but lots of people do that. It's just par for the course. I knew lots of people who also "knew people" at CFSATE or the bases offering the OJT but still didn't go based on the short time until the start of their course. Plus if their are other married or even single guys who have an OJT memo in the process, they won't cancel their chance of going just because you live in Greenwood and they don't. I never saw any tasking opportunities in Greenwood.

Lots of factors to deal with...........

The military will put you where the military needs you. I'd worry about your studies and getting through the AVS course. Don't get focused on where you will get posted 2 years from now.

RTaylor said:
Ive been told that since I live 30 mins from greenwood and I own a home plus my wife and kids are there I may stand a better chance...

Let me tell you the story of 2 guys i know...........

1 is a tech in Greenwood......remusters to another trade

1 is a tech in Comox....remusters to another trade ( same new trade as the first guy)

Both had homes, both had wives with jobs, both had been in location for years.

Can you see how this story end ?

One got posted to Greenwood, the other went to Comox........I'm sure you have figured out who went where by now.

Your chances of moving are just as good as anyone elses.

My wifes cousins fiancé is on pat/ojt in Greenwood. Same situation as me. If I get loaded onto course quickly my wife is going to move up with me, but if I end up on pat I'll search for a 4 leaf clover and put in a memo. Xmas is around the corner and I have 14 days of leave accrued so if worse comes to worse I'll just have a nice holiday.

RTaylor, I believe NINJA and CDN Aviator are thinking you're looking to be posted to Greenwood.  While I'm sure that wouldn't bother you, what I get from this thread is that you are hoping to be able to do OJT in Greenwood, if there's a long wait for your course.

yeah Moe I'm not worried about my posting at all...I just don't want to be sitting on pat feeling useless away from my family.

Back