• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AVGP Grizzly in 1/35 scale

GINge!

Reaction score
I'm working on this at the same time as a Cougar conversion. It's going to be an early 80's Grizzly, from our old AMF(L) mission. This one has the old toboggan / arctic tent rack over the rear hull. The turret and wheels are from a company called Maple Leaf Models, which caters to us folks that like to build modern Canadian kit. The base kit is a LAV-25, chopped over the 2nd axle.

DSCN2442.jpg

DSCN2446.jpg

Check your source photos.  Is the turret on the proper side?

Is the turret on the proper side?
Yup.

Forgive the odd photo, the first decent one I found.

*Edit*
Oh, Awesome!  And looking at the date on the photo, I was there that year.  I sat in that puppy.
Good memories.  haha

Museum?  :eek: Man, I must be gettin' old. I drove 13, 13A, 19 on & off for six years in 1RCR. Great pics & memeories; thanx.

Are the AVGP in service anywhere in Canada, or have they all been retired? I remember that in 2001, there was a "Brizzly" version, and a couple were kitted out to fire the Javelin VSHORAD. 18 AD Regt & LFTEU did the live trials on it in Suffield. What ever became of those 6x6 that went through the DLIR refurb process?

GINge! said:
I'm working on this at the same time as a Cougar conversion. It's going to be an early 80's Grizzly, from our old AMF(L) mission. This one has the old toboggan / arctic tent rack over the rear hull. The turret and wheels are from a company called Maple Leaf Models, which caters to us folks that like to build modern Canadian kit. The base kit is a LAV-25, chopped over the 2nd axle. 

What units used a tobaggan/arctic tent rack?  Never saw any of those at 3VP...

We did in the early - mid 80's, 1RCR when the battalion was still in London. The rack came in handy for kit when you had a full section of troops in the back. We'd have that thing overflowing with the toboggan, tent, and some rucks....and all secured with bungy-cord.  :D

xo31@711ret said:
We did in the early - mid 80's, 1RCR when the battalion was still in London. The rack came in handy for kit when you had a full section of troops in the back. We'd have that thing overflowing with the toboggan, tent, and some rucks....and all secured with bungy-cord.  :D

Non-issued bungee cords I presume...?  ;)

Here's a couple small pics of the real one, you can just make out the rack in the rear. These must be very early AVGP's, as they don't have the driver's wire cutters or heaters fitted.  C/s appears to be 11C, and I believe the photos are from Norway.

Tom%20026.JPG

Tom%20028.JPG

Well, back from KAF and after getting through a massive honey-do list (deck, fence, garden), I decided to start a couple of projects left incomplete. Here's the Griz under a lick of paint and some weathering:

44-0.jpg

47-0.jpg

50-0.jpg

Awesome job on the Grizzly! Never seen the rack before, wonder why some version of the rack wasn't on the later models of Grizzly. It was a pain in the ass jamming all the kit and troops in the back. We tried hanging rucksacks on the side on a cable for awhile. Worked great in places like Suffield. Pretty hard on the rucks if you went into wooded areas.

ammocat said:
Awesome job on the Grizzly! Never seen the rack before, wonder why some version of the rack wasn't on the later models of Grizzly. It was a pain in the *** jamming all the kit and troops in the back. We tried hanging rucksacks on the side on a cable for awhile. Worked great in places like Suffield. Pretty hard on the rucks if you went into wooded areas.

I believe the rack was primarily designed to hold the winter toboggan.

I was on the first battalion level drivers course ran in London (Ipperwash) in 1979. This model shows an earlier version before the propeller guards were added. Two problems I noticed are, no flip down drivers windshield or it's attachment points and the hull is marked 31 but the turret is marked 23B. Model brings back memories.
I drove both 21A & 21.

Best Wishes: Rick

Hi Rick, I drove (on & off) for about 4 years: 13A, 13, then 19.
'Papa Smurf' (Sgt Al L.) was one of my avgp instructors in Ipperwash. He was also Duke's Coy tpt NCO. Good memories (now  ;) )

GINge!  Very nice work!

This vehicle, and the Cougar, have fascinated me since i first saw a Grizzly across the road from the RCD hangers (Forgotten who it belongs too) and saw a cougar in the Ottawa Museum. Your models are absolutely fantastic. Just as an aside though, the reason the turret on the Aus M113 FSV is similar to the Scorpion turret is because they're the same! But you probably already knew that, i just thought the way you said it in the other thread was quite funny.

Well done mate, they're truly brilliant. Its really amazing how you've fiddled with a LAV25 hull and completely transformed it.
Happy New Year from a sick, lonely Aussie.

GInge...
further to X Royal's comments - missing your licence plates... 37000 series  (they should be suitably beaten up)

nevertheless.... great model & great looking paint job.... looks almost as forlorn and beaten up as the couple of examples that are lying around the 202 workshop yard in Montreal.  (Can't figure out why they haven't used the turrets on TLAVs)

Cheers!

Back